Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #21
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

2011 kawi z 1000

i believe the wrx or impreza horizontally opposed "boxer" motor has a 90 degree crank. check it
f,f&f 4 ever R.I.P. coach dave
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houseofpaint's crossplane R1 racebike build houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 33 08-01-2012 10:15 AM
Notice: CBR abnormal crankshaft noise Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 03-22-2011 07:10 AM
where is crankshaft position sensor trimnslim How To's and Q & A's 4 01-17-2009 12:39 AM
Thust bearings for Crankshaft... Slowkat How To's and Q & A's 1 09-04-2008 12:24 AM
Crankshaft Counter Weight Bolts.... Slowkat How To's and Q & A's 3 08-27-2008 07:12 PM
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #22
CMRA #721
Feedback Rating: (20)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
I heard an 09r1 drive by me twice today, it had an exhaust and I must say holy , I know what my next bike is, that thing sounded sooo sick. YouTube vid cannot replicate the sound
I love my new R1, Just bought the graves exhaust system, can't wait to get my PCV and AutoTune so I can install it.
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #23
Feedback Rating: (2)

street legal xr50

Member Garage

Originally Posted by Tony1K View Post
I love my new R1, Just bought the graves exhaust system, can't wait to get my PCV and AutoTune so I can install it.
At first I thought it was a highly modded v8 but then I saw it and was like what!? Second time I got a look at it and was like . It sounds like NASCAR or a racecar at the 1/4, there is a vid with decent quality on utube, yello 09 r1 with 2 bros exhaust. Sorry for rant but I just can't stop droolin over this machine. Looks mean as
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #24

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Configuration Twin Crank/ Triple OHC/Wet Deep Sump
Type Z-Line 4

side transparent07c1
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
The eccense of riding is defying gravity by supplimenting inertia, defying the concerns of loved ones for the therapy of adrenaline.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #25
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
Feedback Rating: (1)

Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx

Staggered cranks was used in the past; however it caused alot of opposing stresses on the cranks. Better balance was found in inline cranks and programming w the adaption of fuel injection. Not to say they arent still out there for signature engine vibrations etc.

Saab back in the early 2000's came out w their experimental "compression variable" engine... utilising a hinge and actuator on one side of the engine block to lift and lower the block changing the volumetric efficiency and compression ratio.

Vtec was cool by using oil pressure to collapse one set of valves and pressurize another set so when the cam lobe came around the pressure from the lobe would push down the lifter and the valve to allow additional air into the chamber.

Variable camshaft timing utilises a worm gear between the camshaft gear and the cam and a pressure valve to operate the worm gear drive to increase or decrease the timing of the camshaft while the engine is operating. Early models had only the intake cam; latest models have all overhead cams functional w a small, sprocket sized device controlling the whole system.

Variable intake stroke has all but eliminated the throttle all together by controlling how far the valves open on the intake cam by controlling lift via a 'third' camshaft that controls the camshaft lobe suppression into a roller to a valve, suppressed by a tappet.

Direct fuel injection allows precise control of the fuel using high pressure and electro-crystal actuators to overcoming the pressure of the compressed air mixture. Less gas, more precise measurements are needed and multiple spray patterns for each stroke can be set via programming.

Variable intakes change the runner length by using an actuator to change tunnel size and gap to the intake valves. Helps initial pick up when stabbing the throttle and torque.

Variable turbo charge pressures by turbine fin angle changes allows a variable turbo pressure to be used. Allows charge pressures at lower rpms and continual pressure at higher rpms. Changeover/crossover/redirection valves keep the system pressurized during shifts to prevent blow off and drop lag to around 1/10 of a second.

Fly-by-wire allows ECM control over the rider/driver when they are acting like idiots. Throttle can be lowered for traction control or when over revving. FYI, 'programming' from A/M manufactorers is usually just raising the potentiometer setting and causing the throttle to open more then operator request to make the vehicle seem faster and have more power. Hope the 600 bux was worth it.

Look over all the info above and remember the engine is basically an air pump. Fuel is easy... higher pressure from a pump, better control and injection duration. Air is where all the performance comes in. The denser, colder the air comes in the more efficient and power the engine has the potential to produce.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #26

Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

I had a chance to listen to a new R1 today - that motor sounds so different than any other in-line four cylinder engine I have ever heard.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote