MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Just ran out of gas for the first time...

Luckily I was in the IHOP parking lot, right next to a gas station so I didn't get stranded. My question is this: why did the tank run dry with the fuel valve set to normal? When I switched it to reserve, it still wouldn't start. Could someone have replaced the fuel line for the normal setting at some point, and cut it too short so it sits just as low or even lower in the tank than the reserve line? What else could it be?
Ran out of gas tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 09-26-2012 08:37 AM
Ran out of gas crewchief General Discussion (Moto Related) 57 02-16-2012 03:23 PM
Who ran this time? Squoddybody General Discussion (Moto Related) 106 02-13-2012 12:02 PM
Ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere and ended up being a good thing. eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 06-16-2011 12:00 PM
dammit, i'm dumb. it is totally official now. ran out of gas on 2854 loosenoose Off Topic 14 04-07-2011 10:27 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

How long did you try starting the bike in reserve?

I have had to switch to reserve 2x already and it takes me a good 2-3 mins of cranking the bike up (in reserve) before it fires up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Waiting for Senior Grubz to chime in... haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
How long did you try starting the bike in reserve?

I have had to switch to reserve 2x already and it takes me a good 2-3 mins of cranking the bike up (in reserve) before it fires up.
Well my battery started to run down after maybe 10 tries of cranking for a few seconds so I stopped and just went to the gas station.
Should the bowl start to fill up as soon I switch to reserve with the engine off? I worked on small engines for a few months last winter so I should know this. Half the time I was rebuilding or at least cleaning lawnmower, ATV, and small dirt bike carbs.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

It shouldnt take that much crankin to get it to strart on reserve, when I rode my ZX6R i only knew when to fill up when it died and i would just reach down and switch it while i was ridin and it would fire right up, the reserve is actually a lower section of you tank, so you may have a clog in the petcock or the tank. Try pullin the tank next time its almost empty and checkin everything out. You are ridin an older bike so it may just be the way you particular system operates though.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
It shouldnt take that much crankin to get it to strart on reserve, when I rode my ZX6R i only knew when to fill up when it died and i would just reach down and switch it while i was ridin and it would fire right up, the reserve is actually a lower section of you tank, so you may have a clog in the petcock or the tank. Try pullin the tank next time its almost empty and checkin everything out. You are ridin an older bike so it may just be the way you particular system operates though.
+1 alot of chit gets in that reserve line if you don't use it often. I've heard on kawiforums that sometimes the reeds or tubes that feed the line inside the tank even wear away/get clogged since it particularly sits in all the that's inside the tank (bottom).
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Ares

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

^ sounds logical. I guess its good that I run out of gas here and there then so that line gets used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #8
PimpDaub
I'm Rat 'Tarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1973 Honda Cb750 Four -Cafe in progress
2005 CRF50 STUNT - MONSTER ENERGY
2001 Suzuki DRZ400E/SM (SOLD) :-(
Don't worry, scrot. There are plenty of 'tards out there living really kick- lives.
My first bike was a 'Tard. She's a Pilot now."

Member Garage

Another point that no one said yet... Take another look at your petcock on/off/res switch and see if there is an arrow on the . I've seen some bikes where the long end of the is the arrow's direction, & on other bikes the long end is just a handle (i.e. arrow points away from long end)

In other words, you might think its turned to "ON" but its actually on "RES"

Just a thought. after seeing that i still sometimes do double takes on my own petcock just to make sure its correct.

He nailed the take-off, but when he landed, something terrible happened. His front tire exploded like a cannonball, and his handle bars went straight through his head. Blood was everywhere. His teeth were ground down to a powder, and the front of his face exploded out the back of his skull. He died instantly... the next day.
PimpDaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Just disconnect the reserve line at the petcock and see if fuel comes out.

Also relating to what Pimpdaub said, someone could have routed the lines opposite at the valve if it was ever taken off/apart.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
greentegr6
B.S.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2006 CBR 1000 RR
93 CBR 900 RR -FOR SALE- 2000
SOLD-2002 GSXR 600
RIP- YAMAHA R6

Send a message via Yahoo to greentegr6
like everyone else said. check your petcock. my 900 had the same issue. but only because it was sitting up for so long. the res. line got clogged. check the knobs and make sure they are lined up to were there suppose to be. never hurts to replace lines. you can get gas lines from autozone for free. atleast i could when i would ask them about gas lines.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
if you run the main dry and it wont start, best thing to do is switch to reserve and wait a few minutes before trying to start it up. have a smoke, make a phone call, send a text...whatever... then give it a go.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

i don that a few times on my f3
Old 02-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Back in the day it was common to run on reserve every now and then after a fill up, just to make sure it's tube wasn't clogged.

Brad

Advertisement