Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 AM   #21
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
Just don't do what this guy did

YouTube- new bike crash
He sure broke it in
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New CPR Method DLite Off Topic 1 06-20-2013 01:48 PM
Best Method of Track Instruction ? mekrew Taking it to the Track 25 09-14-2011 02:42 PM
The Ben Spies Method RoadracerNC Taking it to the Track 7 11-17-2009 01:53 PM
What's your home defense method? Kinny Off Topic 36 03-18-2009 11:57 PM
Best Method gix1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-01-2007 11:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

i'm all for riding it hard out of the box, but as stated in the article, the first oil change is extremely important as that is where all the little metal particles and chit go. usually i will do an oil change after 200 miles, or 4 hours of run time. NEVER had an engine fail (ie, smoke/knock/etc) due to improper break in.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I been around bikes for 30 years and this arguement has been discussed endlessly. How you break in a bike doesn't really make much difference except in one area... longevity.
If you buy a bike and don't plan on keeping it for more than 3-4 years, break it in how ever you want. If you are gonna keep it for the long haul then you should consider that the mfr's have been building bikes for decades. They want you to be happy with their product and they want them to last a long time. They have facilities and teams of engineers who have studied this and the suggest a specific break-in for a reason.

Now if you want to believe the website that says break them in hard and fast, go ahead, but there is one big hole in his theory...
He says that the cylinder walls are rough to wear the rings in and if it doesn't happen fast enough it never will. The rings are made from much harder metal then the cylinder and the rings wear the cylinder walls more then the other way around.
That is an important difference because the rings will keep wearing the cylinders whether they are freshly honed or not. The rings will seat whether you run the engine hard or not.
There is more to break-in than rings and cylinders. There are also gears and bearings that are getting to know one another. They may not like it much when you go forcing them to marry before they are ready.

Bottom line do what you want, you won't blow the motor, you won't hear knocks or grinding, but you may affect how long your engine lasts.
I mean, WTH do Yamaha or Honda know about it anyway? Probably that guy on the internet knows the best way...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I been around bikes for 30 years and this arguement has been discussed endlessly. How you break in a bike doesn't really make much difference except in one area... longevity.
If you buy a bike and don't plan on keeping it for more than 3-4 years, break it in how ever you want. If you are gonna keep it for the long haul then you should consider that the mfr's have been building bikes for decades. They want you to be happy with their product and they want them to last a long time. They have facilities and teams of engineers who have studied this and the suggest a specific break-in for a reason.

Now if you want to believe the website that says break them in hard and fast, go ahead, but there is one big hole in his theory...
He says that the cylinder walls are rough to wear the rings in and if it doesn't happen fast enough it never will. The rings are made from much harder metal then the cylinder and the rings wear the cylinder walls more then the other way around.
That is an important difference because the rings will keep wearing the cylinders whether they are freshly honed or not. The rings will seat whether you run the engine hard or not.
There is more to break-in than rings and cylinders. There are also gears and bearings that are getting to know one another. They may not like it much when you go forcing them to marry before they are ready.

Bottom line do what you want, you won't blow the motor, you won't hear knocks or grinding, but you may affect how long your engine lasts.
I mean, WTH do Yamaha or Honda know about it anyway? Probably that guy on the internet knows the best way...
If you've been around bikes for 30 years you'd know that the manufacturer's recommended break in procedures haven't really changed in that same period. You know what that tells me? It tells me that the "facilities and teams of engineers" haven't really looked at break in procedures in that same period of time yet the manufacturing processes have drastically changed.

Think about it....
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #25
The Trav
slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
If you've been around bikes for 30 years you'd know that the manufacturer's recommended break in procedures haven't really changed in that same period. You know what that tells me? It tells me that the "facilities and teams of engineers" haven't really looked at break in procedures in that same period of time yet the manufacturing processes have drastically changed.

Think about it....
more true words have not been spoken.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #26
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Think about it....
Maybe, but they have looked at and changed recommended oil change intervals
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:

Think about it....
I thought about it. I don't understand why you would think that because manufacturing processes have changed that the break-in should change very much as well.
Bearings haven't changed, gears haven't changed, rings and cylinders have changed a little but not enough to make me think some yahoo on a website has "discovered" some majic that the OEM doesn't know about.
Like I said, this arguement has raged forever. Some people have always advocated hard break-in but I am unconvinced.
Oh and FYI the break-in procedures HAVE changed for many bikes. The RPM limits and mileage have been modified to account for the previously mentioned ring/cyl matl' changes.

Here is something for you to think about...
An engine is a finely engineered, carefully machined piece of close tolerance equipment.
Does it really make good common sense to take one that is brand new and run the out of it, in spite of the fact that the people who built it have told you otherwise?

Do what you want, my prediction is you will see no difference unless you keep the bike for many miles, or you are the unfortunate second owner.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
I thought about it. I don't understand why you would think that because manufacturing processes have changed that the break-in should change very much as well.
Bearings haven't changed, gears haven't changed, rings and cylinders have changed a little but not enough to make me think some yahoo on a website has "discovered" some majic that the OEM doesn't know about.
Like I said, this arguement has raged forever. Some people have always advocated hard break-in but I am unconvinced.
Oh and FYI the break-in procedures HAVE changed for many bikes. The RPM limits and mileage have been modified to account for the previously mentioned ring/cyl matl' changes.

Here is something for you to think about...
An engine is a finely engineered, carefully machined piece of close tolerance equipment.
Does it really make good common sense to take one that is brand new and run the out of it, in spite of the fact that the people who built it have told you otherwise?

Do what you want, my prediction is you will see no difference unless you keep the bike for many miles, or you are the unfortunate second owner.

Gonna have to disagree. The platings, coatings and material specs have made hugh changes.

The materials are just waaaaay different.
Look what high $$$$$ engine builders do. They break them in on a dyno.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Gonna have to disagree. The platings, coatings and material specs have made hugh changes.

The materials are just waaaaay different.
Look what high $$$$$ engine builders do. They break them in on a dyno.
What kind of engines do $$$$$ engine builders, build?

Probably racing or at least high performance right? Right.

I think it would be fair to assume that these engines will see more frequent teardowns and rebuilds than your typical streetbike.
Exactly what platings and coatings are you referring to? Bearings and gears are not typically coated or plated. I acknowledged that cylinders and rings have changed but, they still have to break-in.
Taking a close tolerance machine and forcing it to work near it's limits right out of the box is not how you make it last. Sure it'll do it, but it aint gonna like it and it just might give you trouble later on down the road.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #30
paniro187

Quote:
1/4 mile at a time
that's not fun at all.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #31
The Trav
slowpoke

so much hostility...
-kib
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:
What kind of engines do $$$$$ engine builders, build?

Probably racing or at least high performance right? Right.

I think it would be fair to assume that these engines will see more frequent teardowns and rebuilds than your typical streetbike.
Exactly what platings and coatings are you referring to? Bearings and gears are not typically coated or plated. I acknowledged that cylinders and rings have changed but, they still have to break-in.
Taking a close tolerance machine and forcing it to work near it's limits right out of the box is not how you make it last. Sure it'll do it, but it aint gonna like it and it just might give you trouble later on down the road.

Sir, most sports bike engines are considered High performance engines.
So the ideals of breaking in a motor for what it is built to do makes more sense. Even for non-performance engines it makes sense, though most of the time the task starts with. Starting engine, letting it get to operation temp. Repeat next day. Repeat next day. Start engine, let it get to operation temp, run through first gear or more, then stick it on the dyno and tune. That last bit could be disregarded if you aren't tuning it. But it makes more sense to set things at a degree that during its highest point of threshold can handle, rather than to not.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #33
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
that's not fun at all.
Not fun my azz.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #34
The Trav
slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyman View Post
Sir, most sports bike engines are considered High performance engines.
So the ideals of breaking in a motor for what it is built to do makes more sense. Even for non-performance engines it makes sense, though most of the time the task starts with. Starting engine, letting it get to operation temp. Repeat next day. Repeat next day. Start engine, let it get to operation temp, run through first gear or more, then stick it on the dyno and tune. That last bit could be disregarded if you aren't tuning it. But it makes more sense to set things at a degree that during its highest point of threshold can handle, rather than to not.
x100 million
-kib
Old 02-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #35
paniro187

Quote:
Not fun my azz.
only real track riding is fun. keyword real as in turns.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #36
The Trav
slowpoke

-kib
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #37
DrAwkwArD
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 9

User is banned

DrAwkwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #38
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187 View Post
only real track riding is fun. keyword real as in turns.
Different strokes for differrent folks. And you do turn at the drag strip....as soon as your pass is over you turn off the track.
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:37 PM   #39
The Trav
slowpoke

-kib
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #40
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Well, I said my piece. You brains go ahead and do what you will. Honestly most of you won't keep your bikes for more than 2 yrs anyway.
And hey who cares about the next couple of people that own the bike? The most important thing is that I broke it in hard! Make that b**ch understand that's how it is!
You know that guy on the internet said I would gain 2hp!

Some poor slob that buys it when it gets 20,000 miles on it because he can't afford new... well, he'll learn his lesson! ha
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Advertisement