MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #41
1sickGixxer
if ur not 1st, ur last!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none currently :-(
13' ZX-14 (R.I.P)
84' H-D potato.potato.(sold)
07' sixxer (R.I.P)

my dad for sure,he was a motocycle mechanic for a little over 30 years and just recently got out of the business. ive been around motocycles since ive been born.

when i was little the only transportation he had was a 77 shovelhead. that was what i learned how to ride on when i was 14 years old in a cemetry. he would take me there cuz he said i couldnt kill to many things out there.

im so lucky i never crashed that heavy bike(oh did i menshion we fully restored it and there wasnt a scratch on it). i rode it around east houston where i grew up until i was 16 and got acouple of tickets. i got a chance to ride it one last time before he sold it. he offered to sale it to me cuz he needed the money but unfortunately i didnt.

i look back now and wish everysingle day i had that bike parked in my garage.

there will be a part 2 (father, son bike project) getting started real soon.
1sickGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stand by to be inspired FJRmgm General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-05-2011 08:25 PM
Inspired Bicycles Twitch Off Topic 2 06-15-2009 02:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

My first memory of a motorcycle was sitting in the back of my moms jeep driving down the road when up next to us pulls a mint condition Triton, guy fully rockered out. He looked over gave me a nod and then pinned it. After that it was all over for me and I had to have a cafe racer. Finally got her december 21 of 07 after having another bike for a year.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM   #44
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I've always had a fascination with motorcycles because of there performance capabilities and the lack of "electronic aids" we have been seeing strongly integrate into our cars since the mid 1990s. I have always loved getting intimate with the road and mastering it on 4 wheels so the progression to 2 wheels was only natural. Initially, what sparked my interest in motorcycles so strongly was so I can learn to commute should I relocate (ie: San Francisco). Solricer and others were very supportive and helpful in aiding me out of my n00bery...and buff00nery
Old 02-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #45
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

My dad as well. He rode all his life.

My first taste was the first time we built an 88ci 1450cc HD motor on a Dynaglide.
When we cranked that thing up, I FELT the rumble through my body; literally gave me chills....

I got into SS bikes when my best friend who lived in CS showed me vid of his first track day, and I said "Oooooh yeah. We're doing that..." hahaha.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #46
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Rodio, Jeremy, Mark and Matt L inspire me.
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #47
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

I know this get old but its the truth. "IF YOU AINT FIRST YOUR LAST"

Ever since I was born, I had a thing for going fast. My uncle has wrecked over 5 time in his life and he still rides. I gues im inspired by him.
Movies that inspired me to go fast, Burt Reynolds, herbie the love bug, condor, james bond, dukes of hazard and knight rider. It just so happens that for the most part bikes are the fastest thing on the street. Thats why I went for motorcycles.
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #48
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
People get bikes for different reasons and ride differently as well.

We have dirt, street, backroads, stunting, track, strip, posing, picking up CM's....

what was your inspiration to start riding and what changed your riding habits if you altered your direction?

You still havent stated yours. What's your story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #49
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
had a friend that dropped a 350 I built into a 280z wo changing out the rear end nor putting a X reinforcement on the car. Needless to say it could light up a tire.

His brother bought 2 Hondas, for himself and Jon. That peaked my interest driving around the neighborhood.

During our Senior experience another friend(Senne) started w KART Ferrari w Jones Oil as a volunteer pitcrew student for his senior experience in HS. Needless to say, multiple hours put in on the weekends he got the opportunity to ride a time trial (2 laps) w one of the cars. When it came time to sign for the laps he was told any damage he would have to pay for. He opted out of it.

I happened to overhear the conversation on the phone one day and said I'd like to go. That weekend they were with the motorcycles and I got to jump on a bike and take some laps. I didnt have a clue what I was doing and went out in everything that wasnt mine... gear, bike and in what would be the level 4 class here. I finished the last of that session(left late.) They let me go out for the next one and I dont remember what happened but I know it was my inexperience.

I was kicked out of the track when I woke up, was cleared by paramedics because I was 17 and didnt sign any waivers other then the pit access as a helper. I had to pay for everything. My mom hadnt found out YET about that; my bad found out a couple years after via a phone call. I was just off 13months of being on crutches so me walking w a limp and having sores/aches wasnt abnormal.

The bike was a 900rr.... now you know why the MuTt project was so important to me. It's my Eleanor and I honestly believe it may be the death of me. Ironic how it just never seems to come together.

I worked my way up to riding hard on the streets, stopped when I was married completely since I had responsibility. My exwf lost a son to a speeding kid on a backroad so when I took it up again after a divorce I was very calm and cautious in residential areas.

I purposely bought bikes I wouldnt get introuble on and it slowly progressed back as expected. The Forest riding groups started w sixshooter trying to reconcile leading a newb friend in the forest and his friend wrecking. We rode again w him and he wrecked

From that point on the conscious decision was made to always put ourselves out there and rotate responsibilities in the ride.

Many of the gnomes followed MaxG's and others to the track, others stayed w the street ride too. The Forest Gnomes became a safer, organized ride for noob riders and people wishing a stepping stone between the aimless onramp/residential riding to the track scene.

Now Im just a keyboard ninja.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #50
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
had a friend that dropped a 350 I built into a 280z wo changing out the rear end nor putting a X reinforcement on the car. Needless to say it could light up a tire.

His brother bought 2 Hondas, for himself and Jon. That peaked my interest driving around the neighborhood.

During our Senior experience another friend(Senne) started w KART Ferrari w Jones Oil as a volunteer pitcrew student for his senior experience in HS. Needless to say, multiple hours put in on the weekends he got the opportunity to ride a time trial (2 laps) w one of the cars. When it came time to sign for the laps he was told any damage he would have to pay for. He opted out of it.

I happened to overhear the conversation on the phone one day and said I'd like to go. That weekend they were with the motorcycles and I got to jump on a bike and take some laps. I didnt have a clue what I was doing and went out in everything that wasnt mine... gear, bike and in what would be the level 4 class here. I finished the last of that session(left late.) They let me go out for the next one and I dont remember what happened but I know it was my inexperience.

I was kicked out of the track when I woke up, was cleared by paramedics because I was 17 and didnt sign any waivers other then the pit access as a helper. I had to pay for everything. My mom hadnt found out YET about that; my bad found out a couple years after via a phone call. I was just off 13months of being on crutches so me walking w a limp and having sores/aches wasnt abnormal.

The bike was a 900rr.... now you know why the MuTt project was so important to me. It's my Eleanor and I honestly believe it may be the death of me. Ironic how it just never seems to come together.

I worked my way up to riding hard on the streets, stopped when I was married completely since I had responsibility. My exwf lost a son to a speeding kid on a backroad so when I took it up again after a divorce I was very calm and cautious in residential areas.

I purposely bought bikes I wouldnt get introuble on and it slowly progressed back as expected. The Forest riding groups started w sixshooter trying to reconcile leading a newb friend in the forest and his friend wrecking. We rode again w him and he wrecked

From that point on the conscious decision was made to always put ourselves out there and rotate responsibilities in the ride.

Many of the gnomes followed MaxG's and others to the track, others stayed w the street ride too. The Forest Gnomes became a safer, organized ride for noob riders and people wishing a stepping stone between the aimless onramp/residential riding to the track scene.

Now Im just a keyboard ninja.
WOW just found out alot about you from your walk through memory lane.
yeah I find my bike is harder to steal if there is a crazy/ off african on it so I ride it as much as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #51
wes600rr
RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 cbr 600rr
04 yamaha r1

stepdad had early day honda .. used to go to baseball practice on it....burnt my leg on the exhaust more times than i could count...ha...not really a great story
i just like speed and living fast. so until they give me keys to a fighter jet...ill stay on 2 wheels ha!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #52
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I find it ironic Im so mechanically orientated. My dad was into computers and fishing while I knew him.

Never played sports, a little catch etc but that was it. Guess Im making up for it.

I think its awesome to hear so many families share interest in bikes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #53
Mongo87
Banned

User is banned

Mongo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #54
LynxRyder
n00b

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Well I got a bike because I wanted one in high school, couldn't afford one in college and told myself that once I got a "real" job, I would. Then one weekend I had a friend offer to let me learn to ride on an old POS gixxer. Fell in love and bought my bike the next day.

I would have learned my riding style from said friend, but she had shoulder surgery shortly after and couldn't ride with me. So I looked to the internet for people to learn and ride with. After dealing with the royal asshats on sportbikes.net I found Motohouston and fell in love all over again .

I've learned a lot from riding with the folks on here and attending Patrick's maintenance class.
LynxRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #55
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
WOW just found out alot about you from your walk through memory lane.
werd.

I wish I was mechanically inclined like Cali. Took me 4 hours to tare apart struts and reinstall new ones. In my defense, I didnt have power tools :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #56
RF771

Bike(s):
94 RF771 03 Z1000

All the people that wad there junk up inspired me to not ride like they did

10 years working in the bike shops in Houston Nice bikes waded up cause they were trying to be cool.

I will be a dork and keep my bikes nice and rubber side down
~qualified #3, lost in Semi Finals~
RF771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #57
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
In my defense, I didnt have power tools :(
Only power tools I ever use is an air impact gun for wheels. I do everything else by hand (unless cutting/grinding)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #58
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #59
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
my dad has always had bikes, and my first bike was one of the ones he had back in the day (1991 yamaha fzr 600)... ever since i rode that i was hooked. (i had been riding dirtbikes/mopeds/etc) .
thanks dad!

Well here is Dad's story...

I grew up where there were few others around on a very rural STX farm area. For some reason my father (had extra money due to the oilfield) got us a Suzuki TS110 that we would absolutely abuse through the fields and back woods, but never on the street. We would jump, top out (87MPH), crash, and get up and do it again.

My mother was adamant that none of her kids would ever have street bikes. Within 2 wks of graduating HS and my 18th b-day, I bought a Suzuki GS550ES that I hid at a friends place. They found out about 6 months later when I brought home the FZR600, which followed by a slew of GSXR750s.

I quit riding shortly after my son was born for fear of leaving him without a father. Then nearly 7 years later, within weeks of my youngest daughters birth, my attitude changed in that when is ready for me, he will take me. I purchased the 7R, then a whole slew of GSXR1000s. And haven't slowed down since. Riding makes me feel 20 years younger.

I ride the way I do because I am ready to go at anytime. Only those who aren't living right are afraid to die.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #60
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
my dad for sure,he was a motocycle mechanic for a little over 30 years and just recently got out of the business. ive been around motocycles since ive been born.

when i was little the only transportation he had was a 77 shovelhead. that was what i learned how to ride on when i was 14 years old in a cemetry. he would take me there cuz he said i couldnt kill to many things out there.

im so lucky i never crashed that heavy bike(oh did i menshion we fully restored it and there wasnt a scratch on it). i rode it around east houston where i grew up until i was 16 and got acouple of tickets. i got a chance to ride it one last time before he sold it. he offered to sale it to me cuz he needed the money but unfortunately i didnt.

i look back now and wish everysingle day i had that bike parked in my garage.

there will be a part 2 (father, son bike project) getting started real soon.
I have my dads 76 shovel in my garage, was our father son project. Was the first bike I ever took out on the open road when I was 16

Advertisement