MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
USMC083
Ride till I die'. Ooorah!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
GSXR 750 - RIP 6/2010
too many to list.

Knee Pads?

I was reading up on a post where a chap got ran off the road by a loser in a truck either yesterday or the day before, and he had some pictures where he got banged up and noticed he had some kneepads on that seemed to do the trick (he had like 6 or 7 holes in his pants/legs from the road). After seeing how useful they could be, I've never really worn any, but does anyone have a suggestion on a brand that would be comfortable, yet still have a good quality of protection for a reasonable price? I would really like some input if possible, and if there's other safety gear besides the obvious jacket, lid, gloves and boots, I would be glad to hear of it.

Thanks in advance,

-C
USMC083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why dont you wear knee pads? cdill35 Safety Corner Main 214 03-08-2013 09:46 AM
Knee pads Hebert Gear Talk 15 10-11-2010 09:24 AM
$20 Knee Pads/Guards? Bevo Gear Talk 5 05-07-2009 09:16 AM
Get those Knee Pads...folks... aboo007 Gear Talk 84 01-14-2008 09:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

If your close to Motorcycles Unlimited Patrick has some sweet Alpine * knee/shin guards for about 25 bucks the protection far outweighs the price
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
NeedySV

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV1000K6

I just came from Cyclegear and they have a hugh selection of kneepads you can try on right there in the store. Thats something you want to fit correctly.
NeedySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Most of the time I bash Icon stuff like crazy. Build quality sucks, threads rip, yada, yada. This is from some personal equipment experiences. Except for the icon field armor knee/shin guards. I have owned these for the past two years. I wear them 5 days a week and put them on twice a day. The only wear that I notice is the fabric just above the knee plastic is frayed.
I have crash tested them once (very little impact on the knee was noticed so). I also did an experiment between my field shear overpants built in armor and these. The internal armor hurt landing on my knees dropping from about a foot above the ground while the icons didn't hurt dropping all my 220lb fluffiness from a full upright position onto my knees (I started at smaller heights).
They are very comfortable, breath a little (yes, I wore them in the summer as well) and still hold well with the velcro. Caveats; I have thin legs and hear some people of larger fluffiness have issues fitting their calves, crappy quality manufacturing processes can accidentally produce a good part.
I doubt I will purchase them again as replacements, but I plan on spending a bit more than $55 on.
Oh and look into riding pants as well. The gent you are referring to had some damage on his hips as well and jeans will hold up to sliding about as well as tissue paper if we are talking about any type of speed.
Remember; any exposed flesh is like butter on the asphalt.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp

Last edited by spartandude; 02-10-2010 at 03:06 PM.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
If your close to Motorcycles Unlimited Patrick has some sweet Alpine * knee/shin guards for about 25 bucks the protection far outweighs the price
these have saved my knees *twice* def good bang for the buck. i picked them up from Motorcycles Unlimited also.
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
LynxRyder
n00b

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Most of the time I bash Icon stuff like crazy. Build quality sucks, threads rip, yada, yada. This is from some personal equipment experiences. Except for the icon field armor knee/shin guards. I have owned these for the past two years. I wear them 5 days a week and put them on twice a day. The only wear that I notice is the fabric just above the knee plastic is frayed.
I have crash tested them once (very little impact on the knee was noticed so). I also did an experiment between my field shear overpants built in armor and these. The internal armor hurt landing on my knees dropping from about a foot above the ground while the icons didn't hurt dropping all my 220lb fluffiness from a full upright position onto my knees (I started at smaller heights).
They are very comfortable, breath a little (yes, I wore them in the summer as well) and still hold well with the velcro. Caveats; I have thin legs and hear some people of larger fluffiness have issues fitting their calves, crappy quality manufacturing processes can accidentally produce a good part.
I doubt I will purchase them again as replacements, but I plan on spending a bit more than $55 on.
Oh and look into riding pants as well. The gent you are referring to had some damage on his hips as well and jeans will hold up to sliding about as well as tissue paper if we are talking about any type of speed.
Remember; any exposed flesh is like butter on the asphalt.
+1

I wear the field armor and they seem good for the most part. Plenty of protection, fit well, and can hide them under my pants without any fitment issues.

One problem I have is that sometimes they slide down a little and gets in that area where your shin and foot meet (no idea what it's called or if it has a name). From what I've heard from people that wear them is that the A* slide around your knee. If I had to do it again I think I would get the Dainese ones seen here:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...V--614093.html
LynxRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Go see Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited!

Here is a link to an in depth thread....

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=knee+pads
Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedySV View Post
I just came from Cyclegear and they have a hugh selection of kneepads you can try on right there in the store. Thats something you want to fit correctly.
x2 I got A*'s for $20 last month
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Nearly all our FG rides when someone goes down its the knees that are effected the most.

We always put down recommendation for knee protection when riding w us.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxRyder View Post
+1

I wear the field armor and they seem good for the most part. Plenty of protection, fit well, and can hide them under my pants without any fitment issues.

One problem I have is that sometimes they slide down a little and gets in that area where your shin and foot meet (no idea what it's called or if it has a name). From what I've heard from people that wear them is that the A* slide around your knee. If I had to do it again I think I would get the Dainese ones seen here:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...V--614093.html

I think the technical name for that would be your ankle
Old 02-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #11
LynxRyder
n00b

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R (Lynx)
2000 Fiddy (Mini Lynx)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
I think the technical name for that would be your ankle
Yeah, sorta...

Ankle is the side, heel is the back. what's opposite of heel?
LynxRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

I GUESS ITS MID FOOT

The forefoot is composed of the five toes (called phalanges) and their connecting long bones (metatarsals). Each toe (phalanx) is made up of several small bones. The big toe (also known as the hallux) has two phalanx bones—distal and proximal. It has one joint, called the interphalangeal joint. The big toe articulates with the head of the first metatarsal and is called the first metatarsophalangeal joint (MTPJ for short). Underneath the first metatarsal head are two tiny, round bones called sesamoids. The other four toes each have three bones and two joints. The phalanges are connected to the metatarsals by five metatarsal phalangeal joints at the ball of the foot. The forefoot bears half the body's weight and balances pressure on the ball of the foot.

The midfoot has five irregularly shaped tarsal bones, forms the foot's arch, and serves as a shock absorber. The bones of the midfoot are connected to the forefoot and the hindfoot by muscles and the plantar fascia (arch ligament).

The hindfoot is composed of three joints and links the midfoot to the ankle (talus). The top of the talus is connected to the two long bones of the lower leg (tibia and fibula), forming a hinge that allows the foot to move up and down. The heel bone (calcaneus) is the largest bone in the foot. It joins the talus to form the subtalar joint. The bottom of the heel bone is cushioned by a layer of fat.

Advertisement