MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #41
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Good to see ya at the track Saturday Mark. I'd like to hear what your thoughts are now? Particularly about the suggestions that were made in this thread.
Im glad I had some trashed fairings thats for sure. Althought I might not have had a little spill if I had the street fairings cause I started to push it at the end of the day. Not sure if I would have done that with my good ones on.

I honestly think its still too early to tell about a 1000 on the track. If you are very comfortable on a 1000 on the street, and are confident with braking then I dont see a prob riding the 1000 on the track. I just think it might be more "fun" flogging a 600/750 instead of being a little stand-offish with the 1000
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching Teams............ ForgottnSoul General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 10-06-2012 11:08 PM
SWITCHING BIKES Bounce305 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 03-27-2012 12:24 PM
switching to an r6 sub-par Stunters Lounge 18 01-24-2011 12:10 PM
Switching from MMA to Boxing, Jay Off Topic 22 04-23-2009 11:47 AM
Thinking of Switching from Street To Track...need some guidance HoustonGixxer Taking it to the Track 38 03-31-2008 03:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark954rr View Post
Im glad I had some trashed fairings thats for sure. Althought I might not have had a little spill if I had the street fairings cause I started to push it at the end of the day. Not sure if I would have done that with my good ones on.

I honestly think its still too early to tell about a 1000 on the track. If you are very comfortable on a 1000 on the street, and are confident with braking then I dont see a prob riding the 1000 on the track. I just think it might be more "fun" flogging a 600/750 instead of being a little stand-offish with the 1000
the weights of modern 600s and 1000s are pretty close. Therefore its not the braking that seperates the two on the track. Its the power; The additional high-side potential.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #43
99 Chris
Banned

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #44
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
the weights of modern 600s and 1000s are pretty close. Therefore its not the braking that seperates the two on the track. Its the power; The additional high-side potential.
I say that because I was picking up some pretty decent speed on the straights. I looked down a time or two to see right at 140's 150's on the back straight at msrh, and had some moments after where I was really hard on the brake setting up for the next turn. This info is not for me really (I was the one doing it after all lol) its for anyone else thinking about doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99chris
So in conclusion, until you trust the bike more, and manipulate the throttle a little better.. you'll just have to use that 1K power to catch up & pass the 600/750s!! Just beware though.. your closing speed and corner entry speeds can be MUCH higher, so this is one reason to watch out on the braking.
Im pretty comfortable on the bike, just not the track. Ive noticed that I wont look for braking points. I just set up like I usually do on the street. Thats my learning curve I guess, butI dont think I was having much problems with being passed J/K! im slow :(

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 03-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:23 AM   #45
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
butI dont think I was having much problems with being passed J/K! im slow :(
I wouldnt worry about it on your first TD...

I can only imagine how fooking slow Im going to be on my 1000 during my first TD.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #46
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by less_than_coop View Post
I wouldnt worry about it on your first TD...

I can only imagine how fooking slow Im going to be on my 1000 during my first TD.

Dont sweat it. Just try to absorb as much info as you can about it, and go on ridesmarts youtube channel and watch all the ty howard classes & riders meetings. Thats the good stuff there..
Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #47
99 Chris
Banned

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #48
less_than_coop
SBN BMF

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR1000
2005 KTM 250sxf

Quote:
Dont sweat it. Just try to absorb as much info as you can about it, and go on ridesmarts youtube channel and watch all the ty howard classes & riders meetings. Thats the good stuff there..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Chris View Post
Good advice right there!!!
INDEED!
Thanks, guys.

Khaki shirt.
less_than_coop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #49
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Welcome to the HABIT.

Start on street bike, promise just to take it easy.

Couple track days under your belt, start mind riding the track with your eyes closed, hands "on bars" in bed. Missus thinks you've gone mad.

Despite multiple mind riding sessions display inability to hammer it through turn 1 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway), call yourself a in your helmet, question your own manhood (apologies to all you fast ladies).

Procure Track Bike. Proceed to ride the off it, going through knee pucks at an alarming rate hammering through Turn 1 passing the big bikes on the outside (well I passed 1 once). PRICELESS

Best bit, fling darling track down the track, expensive safety gear does its job, replace a lever or two, maybe a footpeg, consider bent tank no more than character.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #50
viper3ez
Hello, My Name Is Nuvie

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to viper3ez Send a message via MSN to viper3ez Send a message via Yahoo to viper3ez Send a message via Skype™ to viper3ez
well, if you are still considering a track bike, we might be able to help each other out.

i have a perfect condition 5555 miles 06 R6 never been dropped. modded and tuned for the track. while i dont need a liter bike because i'm a bike newbie, it looks like we could help each other.
let me know if you are interested

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=133461
viper3ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #51
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I say that because I was picking up some pretty decent speed on the straights. I looked down a time or two to see right at 140's 150's on the back straight at msrh, and had some moments after where I was really hard on the brake setting up for the next turn. This info is not for me really (I was the one doing it after all lol) its for anyone else thinking about doing it.
Which is what 600s do. Anyone can go fast in a straight line. The scary part is powering up a litre coming off a corner.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement