MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Question for the racers

I did a search first and didn't find my answers anywhere even in the CMRA rulebook. So I'm going to get my license this year to race here and there, so my question is this. On race weekend if I pre-register for a sprint race on Sunday can I literally show up at the track on Sunday morning and tech in for the day, get my transponder I'm renting, do the racers meeting, etc.. or do I have to do all this Sat. and come back for Sunday to race. Also is there a practice session on Sunday before the races? Just trying to get the logistics laid out so no supprises when the time comes.

Oh also I see in the rule book that Suzuki's need case covers on both sides which I have, but it doesn't state which ones are needed. I assume i get to pick then because I don't see any for sale from like woodcraft, vortex, circuit 1 for my clutch cover. I do have a stator, crank and starter cover on already though. Does anybody know if I need the clutch cover one to?
Thanks for your help.

Need Body Work, Shorai batteries, Protection for your bike and body, Tire Warmers, Rearsets etc..? Come see us! We sale the top brands at the lowest prices around from Attack, Armour Bodies, Optimal Racing, Woodcraft, Forcefield, Chicken Hawk, Suzuka, Teknic, Sato Racing, Driven Racing, Arai, XT Racing and more!
www.Track-Junkie.com **Also swing by our trailer at all Fastline Motorcycle Events**
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for the Racers yellowjacket General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 02-10-2009 04:49 PM
Racers! I got a question S_M_J82 Taking it to the Track 26 07-17-2008 07:57 PM
A gixxer question for the racers bumblebee Taking it to the Track 8 04-07-2008 06:05 PM
Question for the racers sixshooter1125 Taking it to the Track 26 02-13-2008 05:48 PM
Question to all of you racers Swift E Taking it to the Track 37 02-11-2006 03:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
You can show up extra early on Sunday morning and do everything.

There is usually 3 (15 min) practice sessions split up in novice, expert, lightweights, schedule permitting of course.

As for the case covers....i would contact alan@cmraracing.com and he'll direct your question to the right person.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
spaz

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
09 R1 RACE
07 GSXR 750 RACE
05 VFR 800

Link to covers from woodcraft. That is what I used. You might need the clutch cover...I would get it to be safe.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts...Category=12860

Last edited by spaz; 01-26-2010 at 11:57 AM.
spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

The Key word is "Pre-Register" to my knowledge unless you are a CMRA member you can't pre-register for the event. That being said, contact Alan, as Tony suggested, he will know.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

You can do it all Sunday morning, I think everything typically starts at 6:15am. I did that a time or two and I'll say that it is a rushed feeling.

Even though you pre register you still need to go to registration, get your transponder, take your belly pan off, get to tech, get your belly pan on, get to the riders meeting, get to practice, get all your contingency filled out and sponsors list.

Plus, if you are racing on different tires than what you are practicing on, you'll need to include changing wheels out and if you dont have an extra set of wheels, then you're really pushing it to get tires changed. I think practice starts at 7:45 too. It's definately tight.

Just sayin...it can be done...but if your an anxious person like me, it was pretty stressful.

I try to do it all on Saturday. Then Sunday morning is more relaxing.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You can do it all Sunday morning, I think everything typically starts at 6:15am. I did that a time or two and I'll say that it is a rushed feeling.

Even though you pre register you still need to go to registration, get your transponder, take your belly pan off, get to tech, get your belly pan on, get to the riders meeting, get to practice, get all your contingency filled out and sponsors list.

Plus, if you are racing on different tires than what you are practicing on, you'll need to include changing wheels out and if you dont have an extra set of wheels, then you're really pushing it to get tires changed. I think practice starts at 7:45 too. It's definately tight.

Just sayin...it can be done...but if your an anxious person like me, it was pretty stressful.

I try to do it all on Saturday. Then Sunday morning is more relaxing.
Good info there.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

be early for everything

be early for everything.
since it's your first weekend, i would have your race tires mounted already(bought from John Hutchinson, of course), then all you have to worry with is running your bike through tech and your registration.
i would definitely pre-register.
if you start getting stressed or you need something special that you've forgotten, look up us LSTD guys and we'll help you if we can.
we pit by the snack bar in the big red volvo semi and we carry lots of tools and pit supplies. and we have lots of new-racer babysitting experience.
and to prep your bike, shop at Motorcycles Unlimited. they really support the CMRA racers and have lots of race knowledge that can make your life at the track smooth, easy and fun.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

man great info guys. Exactly what I was looking for.
Sounds like doing the neccesities on Sat. is better, but it all can be done on Sun. as well. Do they only practice in the morning on Sat. before the Endurance racing or do they offer it in the evening as well. Also is tech open all day Sat.? I'm thinking if I can come in the evening Sat. tech etc.. and then run a practice session Sun. morning. In the beginning I'll probably run the same tires for practice and race on. Sounds like they would last through 1practice sessions and 3 races. At least until everything becomes old hat to me. Oh and yes I buy from John for sure. He's taught me alot about tires. Also deal with Pat at Motorcycles Unlimited. He set up my suspension last season with the Ohlins rear. Both standup guys.
Thanks all.

Need Body Work, Shorai batteries, Protection for your bike and body, Tire Warmers, Rearsets etc..? Come see us! We sale the top brands at the lowest prices around from Attack, Armour Bodies, Optimal Racing, Woodcraft, Forcefield, Chicken Hawk, Suzuka, Teknic, Sato Racing, Driven Racing, Arai, XT Racing and more!
www.Track-Junkie.com **Also swing by our trailer at all Fastline Motorcycle Events**
Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerman View Post
man great info guys. Exactly what I was looking for.
Sounds like doing the neccesities on Sat. is better, but it all can be done on Sun. as well. Do they only practice in the morning on Sat. before the Endurance racing or do they offer it in the evening as well. Also is tech open all day Sat.? I'm thinking if I can come in the evening Sat. tech etc.. and then run a practice session Sun. morning. In the beginning I'll probably run the same tires for practice and race on. Sounds like they would last through 1practice sessions and 3 races. At least until everything becomes old hat to me. Oh and yes I buy from John for sure. He's taught me alot about tires. Also deal with Pat at Motorcycles Unlimited. He set up my suspension last season with the Ohlins rear. Both standup guys.
Thanks all.
i don't think you can practice on saturday but i could be wrong.
i think they stopped all that but email alan to be sure.
there should be plenty of session on sunday, i think.
if you could be there saturday, there's a chance you could practice sitting in your lawn chair on sunday morning.
bring a girlfriend, wife(don't do both), or good friend that will help you...pay their way in or somethin'.
for tech..remove your lower fairing and bring them your helmet to inspect and sticker. you won't get on the track without techin' your helmet.
i think tech closes at 6pm saturdays.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

cool thanks. I was actually just thinking of teching Sat. evening before they close and then run a practice session on Sunday before the races if I don't do it all Sunday mornings. Thanks again.

Advertisement