Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #21
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Make sure the oil is correct too(crued vs syn) Syn oil is thinner per molecule and can actually burn alot quicker.

Summer heat is coming, it will get hot. Air cooled? My katana is and I put it through in the summer. I dont know how it keeps going
liquid
mx6er is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grom or Ninja 250 - that is the question! chixwithtrix General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 09-17-2014 12:24 PM
ninja 250 quick question Shaunpe General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 08-23-2014 09:08 PM
'08 Ninja 250 Question??? phil7153 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-05-2011 08:03 PM
Anyone with a ninja 250 or a rebel 250 I could borrow/rent? logan5 General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 04-12-2011 12:32 PM
250 ninja question Solo General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 06-01-2009 08:50 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

i got synth flowing through it 20w50 wt
atexanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexanone View Post
i got synth flowing through it 20w50 wt
isnt it recommended at 10-40? i forget
Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
We dont seem extreme conditions here; so that's not that far off if those are what the oem recommends.

We had a 00 740i come through the shop w a smoking tailpipe(only after hot and hard acceleration) burning oil. Customer paid extra for synthetic oil when bmw requires a standard crude oil. I gambled w the customer I would pay for bmw's castrol syn oil to be put back in IF the standard oil didnt stop the smoking... it did.

Just an idea... synthetic oil is alot finer and maybe sucked up easier past the rings if the bike's engine wasnt designed for it. Again, Im a factory car guy first, bike tinkerer second and Im not familiar w the 250r design, so dont quote me. Just some ideas. Motorcycles Unlimited is open tomorrow, they may have some advise/info if you call.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

the last motor in my bike did that. i was adding a quart every 3 days as well. no leaks, no smell, no big exhaust plume.........until i let off the gas, and was engine braking. thats when friends said something is really wrong. under hard accleration/idling, nothing else shown signs.

see if another person can ride behind you a bit back, and try different riding/throttle input. at some point you should see smoke, if none is ever found on the ground.

edit: you could have a leak, that only does such, when the bike is running, when the oil is thinner, and getting sloshed near a leaky gasket somewhere. the bike never left its mark when turned off...but if it ran for 15 minutes, just at idle....it would then drip. but stopped the moment the bike was off.

have M.U. take a look at it again, when you get the time.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

thanks for the advice guys unfortunately by the time Im off work and make my way back towards 1960 Motorcycles Unlimited is closed so i won't have time to run it by there till saturday but ill try all your suggestions starting with running it for a while tomorrow morning. when I say it wasnt running right i meant usually I twisst the throttle and it feels like it's pulling me (this is freeway speeds 60+) but on the way back home today seemed like it was lacking on power still got up into the 80's but seemed like it had to try harder to get there may have just been my mind playing tricks on me.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #27
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
thanks for the advice guys unfortunately by the time Im off work and make my way back towards 1960 Motorcycles Unlimited is closed so i won't have time to run it by there till saturday but ill try all your suggestions starting with running it for a while tomorrow morning. when I say it wasnt running right i meant usually I twisst the throttle and it feels like it's pulling me (this is freeway speeds 60+) but on the way back home today seemed like it was lacking on power still got up into the 80's but seemed like it had to try harder to get there may have just been my mind playing tricks on me.
sounds like your having power issues down shift, twist and wait... jk. its been a while since i've hopped on my chicks 250, 80 mph is almost its limit
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

no not my 250 I routinely top out at 100 was only doing 80 cause I was on the HOV and there were cars in front of me.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
brandontx

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
We dont seem extreme conditions here; so that's not that far off if those are what the oem recommends.

We had a 00 740i come through the shop w a smoking tailpipe(only after hot and hard acceleration) burning oil. Customer paid extra for synthetic oil when bmw requires a standard crude oil. I gambled w the customer I would pay for bmw's castrol syn oil to be put back in IF the standard oil didnt stop the smoking... it did.

Just an idea... synthetic oil is alot finer and maybe sucked up easier past the rings if the bike's engine wasnt designed for it. Again, Im a factory car guy first, bike tinkerer second and Im not familiar w the 250r design, so dont quote me. Just some ideas. Motorcycles Unlimited is open tomorrow, they may have some advise/info if you call.
That was probably my girlfriend that came in there. Her tailpipe smokes after hot and hard acceleration.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
mx6er

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

Quote:
no not my 250 I routinely top out at 100 was only doing 80 cause I was on the HOV and there were cars in front of me.
HOV is nice, except for when reg traffic goes faster than you. or when there is a slow azz in the lane, or when someone breaks down

i did150 in HOV once, it was alright...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #31
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
That was probably my girlfriend that came in there. Her tailpipe smokes after hot and hard acceleration.
This situation was probably over 5 yrs ago. Did they resolve her problem?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 AM   #32
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

*Update* so I pull into the parking garage this morning downtown and park my bike she was running like a champ no problems the entire way. I begin taking off my gloves and helmet and what is it I smell? burning oil S**T, I look down to investigate and there are small drops of oil leaking from 2 hoses towards the back end of the bike S**T. I get down on my knees and look under the bike and it seems like oil is leaking from multiple points in that area (not too familiar with bikes yet so I can't pinpoint exactly what it is that is leaking oil, now I kind of wish I took a picture of it). So i'm walking to work thinking ok this might not be a big problem and I notice one of my shoes is shinier than the other my shifting shoe (Left for those having a hard time following) has oil all over the front of it so now i'm sitting at work counting the min. till Motorcycles Unlimited opens so I can call, very dissapointed
Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #33
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post

5. Run it back by Motorcycles Unlimited....Patrick isn't gonna do you wrong.
Quote:
so now i'm sitting at work counting the min. till Motorcycles Unlimited opens so I can call, very dissapointed
I wouldn't have rode the bike to work knowing there was an issue. When my car starts acting up, I fix it or take it to a mechanic...I don't continue driving it.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #34
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

The bike does not call for syn. I lost some good amount of oil AFTER driving a good 1k miles after my oil change. According to Patrick, the 250s generally burn oil esp when driving on the higher RPMs. Ever since then I always peek in my window every couple of days.

Unless you drive 500 miles every 3 days it shouldnt be that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #35
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Oil travels down then back(due to air flow.)

Look for clean lines in the oil grime(shows a larger leak due to oil flow carrying grime away.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #36
atexanone
*Facepalm Distributor*

Bike(s):
06 Kawi 636

Quote:
Oil travels down then back(due to air flow.)

Look for clean lines in the oil grime(shows a larger leak due to oil flow carrying grime away.
sorry your gonna have to dumb/noob that down for me
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #37
brandontx

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F

Quote:
This situation was probably over 5 yrs ago. Did they resolve her problem?
That was supposed to be a joke. A bad one but a joke none the less.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #38
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

The tubes on the back of the engine are generally connected to the airbox and are there so if the engine is overfilled with oil it blows out of the engine cases thru the breather and into the airbox. The oil is then run through the carbs and into the engine where it is burned as you drive. This prevents overflow from going onto the road unburnt. If you overflow with a quart, expect a quart in your airbox. It won't happen at idle because you don't get enough pumping forces in the engine to push the oil up the breather into the airbox.

My guess is you are just overfilling the bike. Run it for 2 minutes. Shut it down. Hold the bike perfectly upright for 30 seconds. Check oil level.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #39
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
The tubes on the back of the engine are generally connected to the airbox and are there so if the engine is overfilled with oil it blows out of the engine cases thru the breather and into the airbox. The oil is then run through the carbs and into the engine where it is burned as you drive. This prevents overflow from going onto the road unburnt. If you overflow with a quart, expect a quart in your airbox. It won't happen at idle because you don't get enough pumping forces in the engine to push the oil up the breather into the airbox.
That was kinda what I pm'ed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement