Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

2001 R1

2001 R1 fuel - Common problem??

24Jan - gettin gas, bike starts dumping fuel..get home lift the tank, seems fuel is coming from nipple beneath tank, running down evac hose to ground. Is the oem tank double lined?? Tank exterior has no damage, but can only fill halfway before leak begins (leaks at only 1 of 2 nipples beneath)
1) What'll happen if I plug the drain nipple?
2) Can the drain nipples be connected via u-hose? essentially plugging completely.

I don't wanna morph into a +/-80mph fireball.

Anyone with knowledge, pls advise.
AllenR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 GSXR 600 Fuel Problem? Help please! SPiN Performance and Modifications 17 11-05-2011 09:41 AM
Fuel light problem PYROBUG51 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-24-2011 04:58 PM
F4i fuel problem JBIRD5363 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-17-2010 08:18 PM
New problem, fuel gauge is scrolling. RU55ELL General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 07-08-2008 09:36 PM
Another fuel tank problem ninjathatcould How To's and Q & A's 9 11-11-2007 09:03 PM
Old 01-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
The Trav
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

80mph fireballs are cool!

the drains are there for a reason, to drain overflow, and to vent fumes in the heat. if you block them off, or connect them you are a ticking timebomb.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

Not sure about the r1 but one of those lines should be a drain for the are around the gas cap and the other is a vent. Have u ever left the little vent on a gas can close and let it sit for a few days? Do not plug them. You think maybe when u put gas in it you might have spilt some gas around the fill hole cuz that could it.
CG636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Forest Gnome Tour Guide
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
As stated above. The tank is double lined to hold the gas inclosed incase of an accident. One of the drains is also for water that may seep between the gas cap and the actual gas holding tank(see the seal on the tank top.)
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote