MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
sleepy_sleeper
Genuine Dirty Ole Man

Feedback Rating: (1)

Front and Rear Stand

First off I did a search and didnt find too much info about stands. I haven't had a bike in a few years and recently picked up a used FZ1 from the classifieds section. I'm looking into getting a set of stands for it because it will be sitting for a few months at a time and I figure that will be a little bit more secure than sitting on the side stand. Ive also heard that putting a bike on stands keeps flatspots from forming on the tires.

When I had my last sportbikes there were some stands out there but they were mainly used by racers. Now they seem to be used alot more and I know they make tire changing easier from first hand experience. I see alot of sets on ebay for CHEAP but I dont know how good the quality is on those. I have also seen some rear stands that you pull forward instead of the old style that you push down in the back. Are the ones that are pulled forward easy to do by yourself? Is there a big difference in quality between an Ebay cheapo stand and a more expensive one? The whole concept of an L shaped piece of tubing holding up the front or back of a bike isnt that complex so I figure there cant be too much difference. And lastly do any of the vendors here on the forum have good deals on stands regularly? I prefer to support local shops if I can.

Thanks for any input yall have, and I hope to meet up for a ride when I come home on R&R at the end of Feb. I live in Anderson so I would be down for a run or two down 3090 pretty much anytime.
sleepy_sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decent front stand??? indoMLA How To's and Q & A's 6 05-05-2010 09:49 PM
front stand at TWS (Texas World Speedway) rc51eviltwin Taking it to the Track 2 02-22-2010 03:49 PM
Front stand? S_M_J82 Off Topic 5 10-05-2008 09:31 PM
Front Stand Help Psych0ninja Taking it to the Track 7 04-25-2008 12:04 AM
ISO Pitbull Front & Rear Stand Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 06-11-2007 08:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

go for the pitbull stands (get some spools) it is well worth the money!

better than your bike falling on you cuz of a cheapo stand
Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

PIT BULL FTW

i would also suggest getting the rear stand with the forward handle...much easier to put the bike on and off the stand by yourself, and with the bar crossing under the rear tire...it's much easier to mount the wheel...it's like having a third hand for lifting the wheel
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy_sleeper View Post
I haven't had a bike in a few years and recently picked up a used FZ1 from the classifieds section. I'm looking into getting a set of stands for it because it will be sitting for a few months at a time and I figure that will be a little bit more secure than sitting on the side stand. Ive also heard that putting a bike on stands keeps flatspots from forming on the tires.
Let me start by saying that the FZ1 is an awesome bike and I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Second, don't let it sit for longer than a couple weeks at a time without starting it and letting it run for a few minutes. It is ALOT less trouble to keep it going than it is to repair the things that will go wrong from sitting.
Third, flat spots aren't that big a problem unless it sits for a really long time. If it gets flat spots the tires may have other issues begining to develop, like dry rotting and the rubber becoming less tacky, reducing traction.

Quote:
Are the ones that are pulled forward easy to do by yourself?
There is not much difference in the effort to get the bike up on the stand but one advantage to the forward pull type is they take up less room in the garage. The standard type protrude behind the bike a little.

Quote:
Is there a big difference in quality between an Ebay cheapo stand and a more expensive one? The whole concept of an L shaped piece of tubing holding up the front or back of a bike isnt that complex so I figure there cant be too much difference.
Yes.
The difference between cheap stands and expensive stands is dramatic. It isn't complex but cheap stands are made from cheap materials and are more prone to dropping your bike. Drop it one time and the money you saved on stands will seem insignificant compared to the cost and hassle of repairing your scoot.
I agree with the above post. Pit Bull stands are awesome!

Quote:
And lastly do any of the vendors here on the forum have good deals on stands regularly? I prefer to support local shops if I can.
Motorcycles Unlimited has great prices, is located on the north side of town and offers a discount to Motohouston members.
Give Patrick a call; 281-444-0545
Bevo- "I lack skillz"

Last edited by bumblebee; 01-23-2010 at 06:26 PM.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:37 PM   #5
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Go pit bull stands!
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
tommyg

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki SV650S
2006 Suzuki GS500 (sold)
2006 Ninja 250 (sold)

I was also hoping to pick up a rear stand for my sv650 but don't know if any local vendors carry them. I know cycle gear carries it but they're like 150 bucks a piece and don't know if that's the best price I can get locally
for it
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Motorcycles Unlimited has great prices, is located on the north side of town and offers a discount to Motohouston members.
Give Patrick a call; 281-444-0545
Pay attention son...

lol
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
I was also hoping to pick up a rear stand for my sv650 but don't know if any local vendors carry them. I know cycle gear carries it but they're like 150 bucks a piece and don't know if that's the best price I can get locally
for it
I have an SV650 and i use the Pitbull with spools..

trust me, just bite the bullet..its worth it.

Advertisement