MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Red face Tojo92's crash on 3090 January (long)

Tojo92's crash on 3090 January 3rd (long)

Title says it all, but I figured I’d post up what happened in case it may help some other riders.

January 3rd, I went a SMR ride with three other riders. It was cold (upper 30’s), but the weather was supposed to break and give us some nice sunshine. The previous weekend we had enjoyed a great cold weather ride, but the sun came out and it was nice.

As for this ride? Dang weather predictors. Sun never came out.

We decided to head up from Brookshire and ride to Yankees by way of 3090. Instead, it was so cold (sun never came out as mentioned above) that we stopped in Navasota and ate breakfast. After breakfast, we talked about heading home but decided that we might as well hit 3090.

I was leading the ride on a friend’s 1996 KTM 620 LC4 that had been converted to a motard (actually, my old bike). Straight up manly bike with no creature comforts, mechanical feel that let you know you’re on a freaking MACHINE, nice thumper noise, left handed kick start only…(insert Tim Allen grunt here).

After a few turns, I noticed the road had some slick spots, so I backed off a bit and was running much slower than I normally would in this particular section. Heading into a left-hander, I had the sudden sensation of bouncing off the road, and then realized I was crashing (or hitting 3090, as mentioned above ).

Classic, sky, ground, sky ground, sky ground, (good, should be over now……nope, ! Continue on with sky, ground, sky ground, and then helmet full of water as I land in the ditch full of water (did I mention it was cold?).

Other riders came around the corner in time to see steam in the air and my helmet popping out of the ditch. Funny if you really think about it. They helped pull me out of the ditch, as I couldn’t feel my legs (later figured out from adrenaline and cold more than anything). I asked them to call 911 as I didn’t lose consciousness, but I was a bit worried about my legs. I had just installed a back protector in my leather jacket thankfully. EMS shows up VERY quickly and they were all very professional; so did the Sheriff, very professional as well. Bummer was getting all my clothes stripped off me on the side of rode (did I mention it was cold). I reminded the female EMS responder that much like George Castanza on Seinfield, the water was cold . I was covered up, but you know, you gotta cover your bases. The guys with me said I turned a nice shade of blue. Images of the Blueberry kid from Willie Wonka movie running through my mind ? I digress…

By the time I got to College Station Med Center (all extremely professional and accommodating) my temp was in the 97 degree range, now that doesn’t sound bad at first glance, but I was shaking a bit from being cold. Luckily, the end damage was soreness in my upper chest and back, and a right ankle due to tearing of ligaments. My ankle was swollen to the size of my thigh, but luckily no breaks and no surgery predicted to fix the torn ligaments. I also had some road rash on my knees since I was wearing jeans with long johns to stay warm.

KTM needs new hand guards, possible new exhaust, and new mirrors. , I love motards! If I had been on the Bimota, I think I may have cried. I gotta admit, the owner of the bike was very gracious about the whole thing. I’ll make it all as before the crash, but he knows that.

New RF1000 helmet damaged (will be binned), gloves held up well but scuffed a little, and jacket scuffed, but held up well. Jeans, shirt, long johns, shredded and in the bin. In other words, all the proper gear did its job and saved my bacon. The non-proper gear was worthless once the flesh hit the tarmac.

I’m currently in a walking cast for three more weeks.

So, a few points to hopefully help others: I am 39 years old and have been riding a LONG time (since my early teens and if you include my old Indian two stroke, since I was about 8). I ride the Hill Country a lot, and I do track days with some constancy. I take good care of my equipment. I consider myself a solid rider, not the fastest; but not the slowest, having only one other “on road” accident in my many years of riding (I don’t count dirt, track day, or TMGP offs, as that is a given risk). I have been riding 3090 since the mid 90’s when I was at A&M (including many at speed, at midnight , on a lot of runs when I was lacking common sense ) with no accidents, and I am a huge proponent of wearing your gear all the time.

This accident could have been completely avoided or at a minimum I could have probably walked away just a little sore if I had handled a few things differently.

1. I rarely ride in blue jeans, but since my Fieldsheer riding suit and leathers were getting worked on due to some minor repairs on some seams, I went in jeans and also wore Red Wing style boots instead of my TCX boots I usually wear. Leathers or my Fieldsheer suit would have protected my knees and I imagine the TCX boots would have given my ankles proper support. The Fieldsheer would have given me more warmth as well.

2. The tires were cold as was the road (along with some light mist). I knew the tires were cold as we had been stopped for lunch, but I didn’t pay attention to the slight mist as I was so freaking cold I was miserable. This relates to making sure your head is 100% into what you are doing. If not, stop get your head on right, or back it down more than a couple notches until you can get back into it.

3. Initially when we left breakfast, my (fairly large) gut said “Go on home, you’re cold.” I didn’t listen, and hit the pavement. Listen to your gut, ALWAYS.

4. I did back it down a bit after the first few turns, but it wasn’t enough. Remember that it’s ok to slow to a stop and assess the road and your environment. Do this when you have a question about the road conditions.

When all is said and done, no road, no equipment, or anything else is to blame but me. Sucks to get reminded what the road feels like while you’re tumbling across it, but also a good reminder that we all need to be aware of what we are doing at all times and wear proper gear.

Sorry to be so long, but if one person reads this, and buys proper gear (or wear gear they already have) and that saves their bacon, it had the effect I was hoping for. I know many are proponents of knee pads under jeans (better than nothing), and that may have helped my minor road rash, but proper riding pants should be the rule.

Be safe and have fun out there. When the cast is off, I'll be back.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So what do you do in December and January? mike Taking it to the Track 47 10-07-2008 12:52 PM
crash stats.(long read) witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 09-13-2006 11:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
FLYIN'DUC

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Dam S. sorry to hear about this, and I have to agree if I was on my Bimota I would have definately cried, they are virtually irreraplacable, glad it wasent worse
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

If you wear jeans, wear knee pads

Great write up. Sucks about the incident. 30 Degree rides!!! Youre insane
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Glad you came out OK, and glad it wasnt the bimota or the trumpet....
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
landon05

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Gsxr- 600 (wrecked)
2006 gsxr-750 custom painted by "House of Pain" SOLD!!!
LOOKING FOR A GSXR 1000

Send a message via AIM to landon05
Glad you're ok from your fall and im really glad that you stated you have been riding for a long period of time but the unfortunate still will happen... Some people start to think they are immune to going down just because they have been riding for years, done track days, rode certain roads etc... Speaking of 2 wheel riders in general
landon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Bike(s):

Why would you not ride with full gear, I wear bluejeans going to work in a cage not out flying around on a motorcycle.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon05 View Post
Glad you're ok from your fall and im really glad that you stated you have been riding for a long period of time but the unfortunate still will happen... Some people start to think they are immune to going down just because they have been riding for years, done track days, rode certain roads etc... Speaking of 2 wheel riders in general
That was part of what I wanted to get at. We can all hit the deck. I bought a bike while in College, and the guy said, "Just one last thing. It's not a question of 'if', but 'when' you will have an accident. If you can deal with that, your ready to ride."

It happens.

Staton
The Problem - Endurance
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastchevy View Post
Why would you not ride with full gear, I wear bluejeans going to work in a cage not out flying around on a motorcycle.
See original post. I let my guard down and figured it would be ok. And more to the point "Flying around" wasn't intentional.

Bad decision. That's the reason for the post.
The Problem - Endurance
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Bike(s):

sorry it was a little long and I read the cliff notes, please gear up .

We already ride a fine line.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
jcat
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #11
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Oh dayum, sounds rough. Glad you made it out okay!
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #12
Desmorider

Bike(s):
Triumph Street Triple
RVF 400
KTM 450
Drixton Honda 450
Mondial 175

So, did you say anything bad about our favorite motorcycle brand, or was this an unrelated accident where no 'discouraging' words were uttered?

Wondering minds need to know if the juju rule was broken.

I was driving in my car today and nearly emitted the cursed words towards a particularly obnoxious potato machine, but I can now say that those days of derision are over. Forever. And soon, I will be walking again like a normal human being. Got fitted for my air cast today. Threw that boot in the fireplace........only 2 more months of physical therapy to go!

I'll spare you today's Xrays....they look about like the last 2 sets.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Those cold roads are brutal. It's like riding on ice when you have cold tires and a cold road.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
Those cold roads are brutal. It's like riding on ice when you have cold tires and a cold road.
I'd blame the wet road more than anything
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Thanks for posting. It's a good wakeup call for us all
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #16
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmorider View Post
So, did you say anything bad about our favorite motorcycle brand, or was this an unrelated accident where no 'discouraging' words were uttered?

Wondering minds need to know if the juju rule was broken.

I was driving in my car today and nearly emitted the cursed words toward a particularly obnoxious potato machine, but I can now say that those days of derision are over. Forever. And soon, I will be walking again like a normal human being. Got fitted for my air cast today. Threw that boot in the fireplace........only 2 more months of physical therapy to go!

I'll spare you today's Xrays....they look about like the last 2 sets.
First, to others that don't know, Desmorider is a good friend of mine that late last year ended up shattering his left ankle after we came up over a hill outside of Independence and found a nice Australian couple heading the other way IN OUR LANE. He was the only one injured, and although I didn't mention it in my original post, his accident was a recent solid reminder about wearing proper gear, especially the ankle. For the record, on that ride, everyone (four of us total) were wearing proper full gear. His gear did it's job. I am not sure the his ankle injury could have been avoided, once his impact occurred.

He may want to post up about the event here?

His comment about an obnoxious potato machine curse stems from the fact that through the many years of riding together, anytime anyone in the group made a comment about a certain brand (usually after either passing them or having them go by us when we were stopped somewhere), said person would either crash or their bike would would fail. In his case he had made a remark just prior to his incident when we were stopped in Somerville. It was in reference to the amount of noise and lack of forward motion, I believe. We all looked at him in amazement when he said it and mentioned "the curse". We're not talking about one time this has happened, more like 5-10 differemt events.

It is HD bad juju rule.

Desmorider joked after his accident that he may have to buy one to satisfy the juju rule.

To answer: No, absolutely no disparaging remarks were made by me or anyone else in the group about one particular brand. In this case it was purely the Staton effect.
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 01-19-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #17
tankmonkey

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

I guess it's a good thing I was already planning to convert the KTM to track duty for the track day season, considering you stripped it of nearly every street-legal item it had (wasn't much)...

still, nothing crashes as well as a motard.

glad you're coming to terms with what happened, and I'm very glad to hear that desmorider will be back in action before too terribly long.

hopefully everyone can stay healthy now until after the Barber trip in August (to say nothing of the Laguna Seca trip in July).

scott
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #18
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Thanks for sharing. It's always refreshing to see someone take responsibility for their fall, rather than blame everything but themselves. Glad you are relatively ok.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #19
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Last edited by cdill35; 01-19-2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: thread jack.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Glad you are okay Staton. That is a sweet KTM and I can see Scott is taking it good.

Hope to see you riding soon.

P.S.- Did the lady EMT laugh when she saw how cold it was?
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote