MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

View Poll Results: whats the best way to stop
ft brakes only 4 4.82%
rear brakes only 3 3.61%
ft and rear brakes.......mostly ft. 76 91.57%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

If it is an real emergency situation, my rear tire more than likely will not be touching the ground. I guess it really depends on what you consider emergency. It also depends on if it is in a cornering situation. In that case, little front no rear and steer clear.

I think the reason why more experienced riders would say front brake only is cause they tend to gauge what an emergency really is in a totally different aspect. Cause a novice to intermediate rider would think of a situation completely different than that of a racer or advanced rider.

Last edited by bdmpastx; 05-16-2006 at 05:03 PM.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maximum fork rake? CaligoneTx Performance and Modifications 8 02-18-2010 04:47 PM
Maximum Heart Rate gsxrjai Health and Fitness 6 04-19-2009 07:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #22
elemental2

Bike(s):
zx6r

Send a message via ICQ to elemental2 Send a message via AIM to elemental2 Send a message via Yahoo to elemental2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
emergency stop

which is best?

actually had that one on my m test today lol heard it donno how many times from ed on the msf lol
youd be proud got it right
woot + got my license today :icon_bigg
If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted or Beethoven composed music He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause and say, "Here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well..."

Don't take life to seriously; no one gets out alive.
elemental2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #23
yellowgxr6

Send a message via ICQ to yellowgxr6 Send a message via AIM to yellowgxr6
I thought the Fred Flintstone method of breaking was the best????
That and a high wrist on the throttle makes for big fun when you "GRAB" the brake. :BangHead:

All seriousness... Front and Rear baby!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #24
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
I think brakes are over rated, I use my sneakers shoved between the tire and frame
yeah...but look at what your riding.... of course that works for you! :laughing6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
Rear Brake only & drag both feet (keep toes pointed UP though)

OMG-WTF! (trying to picture this) what do you do? reach down and grab the rear with a hand?!?!? cause if your dragging your feet i dont know how else your pulling off this manuever...

...hey prodigy, i think theres a new trick for you!
Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #25
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

MSF taught me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 PM   #26
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Voted for both but the rear doesn't help much when it is in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmpastx
If it is an real emergency situation, my rear tire more than likely will not be touching the ground. I guess it really depends on what you consider emergency. It also depends on if it is in a cornering situation. In that case, little front no rear and steer clear.

I think the reason why more experienced riders would say front brake only is cause they tend to gauge what an emergency really is in a totally different aspect. Cause a novice to intermediate rider would think of a situation completely different than that of a racer or advanced rider.

"Into Turn Three and it's time for some "crazy late brakin'" in Gobert parlance. "People don't realize how fast they can go in there; it's just like a big berm on a motocross track." Gobert's braking skill took a lot of U.S. riders by surprise when he first came to America; now his braking advantage is less apparent, largely because the latest youngsters are onto the benefit of using the rear brake. Gobert doesn't back it in as blatantly as, say, Nicky Hayden, but he definitely uses up rear pads. Hopping on the rear slows the heaviest gyro on the bike, keeps the rear end from rising (and the front end from diving), and makes really hard braking possible."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...acing_secrets/
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #27
zixx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
let say emergency stopping, car pulls out in ft of you.
I almost got killed by an excursion from the back on I-35 near austin because of an emergency stop. That's the downside of e-braking, getting plowed into by a car not paying attention or by outbraking the car behind you.

What would you do in this situation?

Riding in left lane of 4 lane interstate, riding 3 car lengths back, retaining wall on left, thick traffic moving at speed limit in front and to the right, accident on other side of the freeway causes rubbernecking at front.

Guy in front of me slams on brakes, I brake hard with front and rear brakes, I hear squealing and see Excursion swerve to my right a foot from my exhaust can. Seriously, I almost got smacked in the head by the guy's rear view mirror. I then realized I almost got plowed into by that 7000 pound brick.

What would you do? After I collected my thoughts and realized what just happened, I thought right lane would be the best way to go...and instead of braking hard, brake regularly and try to go around the car in front. The real solution I came up with though was, dont ride on I-35 southbound sunday afternoon when school is in session.
zixx6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #28
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

well, its hard to say w/o being there, i woulds kept more buffer from car in ft of me. i woulda been riding in the right side of the lane to start w/ . once all the braking woulda started, you have to keep an eye out for the guy in ft as well as back, and if he were still coming i woulda squirted to the right rear of the car in front of me.......
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 05-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #29
Red

Member Garage

I had the misfortune of watching a friend and more experianced rider "I thought" run right into the back of a dodge neon few years ago. I was about 2 bike lengths behind him and I instantly reacted to the move left into the open lane and applied both front and rear brakes controlled no problem while he locked up the rear wheel and by the reaction of the front end applied all the front brake he had but never once tried to move to the open lane and ran smack into the back of the car. Really sucked to watch. I guess you just don't know what you will do till your in that situation. Practice practice pratice before you get put into that situation, your first reaction is probably the only reaction you will get to make.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:02 PM   #30
Red

Member Garage

I should have mentioned the neon pulled out in front of us from a parking lot.
imagine that.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:06 PM   #31
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

Another good thing to do.
Whenever you look back in your mirror, try to remember the position of your rear traffic for your escape route.
I know it's hard and not an easy thing to do, but even if you get one benefit out of thousand times, you can save your life.
I'm trying to do whenever I remind myself.

Good to watch your back when you stopped at the sign or light.
Get ready to jump off in case of rear end...

These are two things I try to remind myself whenever I'm out with the traffic.
nutmegchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:11 PM   #32
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

i think that the rear brakes first to get the rear of the bike to squat then the front to get it to stop. With back only it will just lock the back tire and with the front first the rear will raise giving less weight and traction on the rear causing the bike'e rear tire to again skid.
later
Michael
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #33
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

my opinion is that 75% of accidents will be avoided by moving than by stopping. ALWAYS have an out. At all times know what and where everyone is around you. No time to look and see if someone is alongside you in an emergency. ALWAYS assume that a car coming from a side street didn't see you and pull out. Always think u are invisible and what would THAT car do if u were.
my 02 as usual.
Michael
88 v-max
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:35 AM   #34
Vandals
Scooter

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 Yamaha r1
1981 Honda Trail 110 -"The Tank"

instead of brakes, you could always downshift from 6th to 1st and see how fast you stop..
Vandals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #35
jrock
straight shooter

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
front and back brake and manuver away. Always keep as much space around you as possible. and always have an out in case the rear traffic doesnt stop in time.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #36
MadseasoN

Try not to use your brakes if you're doing a quick swerve
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #37
GLD
track junkie

Bike(s):
F2 w/ F3 engine 2001 RC51

depends on what you are braking for and what you are riding. On a sportbike on the race track you can almost forget about the rear brake-if you are braking in a straight line its almost doing nothing for you.

If you are riding a goldwing : ) the rear brake plays an enormous part in getting you stopped it really surprised me. The other time rear brakes help a ton is when you are riding 2 up no matter what the bike.
GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #38
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLD
depends on what you are braking for and what you are riding. On a sportbike on the race track you can almost forget about the rear brake-if you are braking in a straight line its almost doing nothing for you.

your mis-informed, btw when nick doohan (3? x world champion) broke his right leg in MOTO GP, he had a rear brake lever for his left thumb made to work on his bike, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for YOU

"Into Turn Three and it's time for some "crazy late brakin'" in Gobert parlance. "People don't realize how fast they can go in there; it's just like a big berm on a motocross track." Gobert's braking skill took a lot of U.S. riders by surprise when he first came to America; now his braking advantage is less apparent, largely because the latest youngsters are onto the benefit of using the rear brake. Gobert doesn't back it in as blatantly as, say, Nicky Hayden, but he definitely uses up rear pads. Hopping on the rear slows the heaviest gyro on the bike, keeps the rear end from rising (and the front end from diving), and makes really hard braking possible."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...acing_secrets/
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 05-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #39
nutmegchoi
Go girls!

Bike(s):
2013 CBR600RR Repsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandals
instead of brakes, you could always downshift from 6th to 1st and see how fast you stop..
Or how far you can fly.
nutmegchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:05 AM   #40
zero4o3

Send a message via AIM to zero4o3 Send a message via Yahoo to zero4o3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmegchoi
Or how far you can fly.
you only have to fly over the car infront of you