MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Piston replacement Q?

I got this project XR600. Needs a motor rebuild. I bought my first caliper gauge and it says the piston is 96.83 mm. I'm assuming this is a 97mm piston, and the rest is just gauge inaccuracy or piston wear.

The cylinder measures at 97.97mm. Does the difference seem in the range? 1.14mm in total means the piston to cylinder tolerance is .57mm. This seems big.

Neither the piston or cylinder show much in the way of wear, but I have to replace the rod and piston pin, so I figure might as well freshen it up.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Piston Question Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 05-13-2015 09:13 AM
One piston is shot? Thayleal General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-13-2012 10:44 AM
Piston Rings... AJFLo Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 17 05-11-2009 06:31 PM
Piston into chest gsxrjai General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-22-2008 05:54 PM
wtd piston rings train460 Off Topic 1 02-15-2008 06:40 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Do you have an owners manual? In the front section of the engine chapter there would be specs for the min/max for the bore/piston top and also piston skirt width.

also check the ring gaps/spacing to the piston shelfs.

What failed on the engine in the first place? rod bent? Was it a compression or leakage problem or simple rod bend/bearing problem?

Also on the block, I recommend using T-gauges and checking both axis up and down the bore to make sure its even/within specs.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

BTW the rings will clean up the remainder of the gap; it uses oil to seal also. Check the specs to know for sure.

Most manuals are available online if not free download from online forums for specific bikes after a certain number of posts etc.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Do you have an owners manual? In the front section of the engine chapter there would be specs for the min/max for the bore/piston top and also piston skirt width.

also check the ring gaps/spacing to the piston shelfs.

What failed on the engine in the first place? rod bent? Was it a compression or leakage problem or simple rod bend/bearing problem?

Also on the block, I recommend using T-gauges and checking both axis up and down the bore to make sure its even/within specs.
No manual yet. The motor stopped running cause the cams and lifters wore out. It ran until the very end, even clearing a couple of doubles at Needville, but the cams were maybe lifting only 40% of original, the lobes were sooo worn down.

I haven't taken it down any further, but there is up/down play piston to rod, and the crank can rock a bit side to side, so I'm going to do crank, rod, piston, lifters, cams.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

if the crank itself is ok(spec it out) the thrust washer on the one crank bearing is what prevents the crank from walking. That will have to be checked and set anyways to ensure its within specs too after replacement.

Sounds like a project!!!!

How's the pump? no gunk in the oil? All that will have to be cleaned out cuz if it isnt, that stuff will go back through the system and starve oil to the bearings, premature wear/failure.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
if the crank itself is ok(spec it out) the thrust washer on the one crank bearing is what prevents the crank from walking. That will have to be checked and set anyways to ensure its within specs too after replacement.

How's the pump? no gunk in the oil? All that will have to be cleaned out cuz if it isnt, that stuff will go back through the system and starve oil to the bearings, premature wear/failure.
I haven't gotten to the pump and strainer, the motor is still in the bike, but I will be tearing it down 100% and cleaning and reassembling from a bare case. Do you have any suggestions for someone to do the crank pressing and reasembly? I can only find a rod kit for this bike, not a complete crank.

Also, Google told me the following:

Piston should be (if standard) 3.8173 to 3.8284 inches. &

The wear limit is 3.813 at 0.40 above the bottom of the piston. &

pistons come from Honda in .010 oversizes

Mine is 3.83 at the top. So I guess I need to take a better measurement at the right point to be sure, right? Also, the stock bore is listed as 98mm, and mine is 97.97, so that says to me it's standard bore, so maybe the piston wasn't sized right last rebuild?
Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
My first of two. My DRZ needs the crank done as well. Best to practice on the crapper bike, right!

Advertisement