MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #41
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Alan has good advice, might wanna talk to Gabe about his 07 zx10r for sale might be faster, they make great power and weigh less, late model 1K are killing alot of busas, some guys say the weight is the key, If U weigh say less than 180 then 1K is the way to go but if Ur a big boy then busaas and zx14,s are the ticket, then of course U put a 140lb guy on a busa or 14 and U might not be able to run him down
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a mechanic for motor swap? Stancedsi General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 07-18-2015 02:29 AM
zx14r motor swap beastlyzx12r Performance and Modifications 47 03-02-2012 06:08 PM
motor swap 07blkzzr How To's and Q & A's 3 10-19-2010 08:16 PM
Motor Swap Question mekrew How To's and Q & A's 0 12-07-2009 10:01 PM
Motor Swap Sl!mP!ckens! General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 09-14-2009 02:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #42
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Cashtown, do not buy a used motor, ESPECIALLY if it has been built up or sprayed....a used stock motor "may" be ok but I will take a well maintained, high mileage busa(yours) motor anyday over a low mileage unknown history motor.

There is some labor involved in changing the forks, I am not sure, but its probably around 8hrs book time(although it takes me way longer then that...LOL).

You will at a minimum need 3 new forks(yes change all 3), thats about $210, billet shift shafts from APE are another $50 I believe and a good investment. LASTLY, chances are, you have rounded the engagement dogs on 2nd gear and they will need to be re-cut. If I were you, I would pull the tranny, send the whole thing to R&D or Fast By Gast and have it all checked out and undercut. They get about $300 to do this but the tranny will look like brand new and shift like butter, not to mention you won't likely damage a fork again since the tranny is now under cut. So with oil/coolant/sealant/seals and parts etc, you are looking are $650 in parts. If you choose to not do the labor yourself, I have a guy that is in the Clear Lake area that builds busa motors on the side, he has built some fast bikes that run at the local strips, his labor rate can't be beat and he does ride in/ride out jobs all the time. If you want his info, PM me and I will call him and give him your info. He can replace the tranny and set you up with a 1397 kit if you want.

If you go the 1397 kit route, knowing that you are mainly a street rider and not a racer, you don't need to spend mega bucks on this thing. Here is what I would recommend for you:

JE or Wiseco 1397, 12.8-1 pistons/ Fresh 3 mil over block...$800
Yosh stage 1 drop in cams or small Web cams w/adj sprockets..$600
Freshen up your stock head, lap the valves, install new springs/seals..$300
New cam chain $80
Cometic head gasket $50
MISC seals $50

Have the builder check the appearance of the bearings when the cases are split for the tranny, if they look good, leave em, if not, plan on spending another $180 for bearings or so...My buddy that builds these motors will know what to do with it for you and he is very honest and reasonable.( he is a State Trooper for christ sakes....)

This is a bare bones 1397 build here, it should start on 1 battery and not run hot and not cost TOO much to build...This setup should get you 185-190hp with a good midrange... I would think with labor this setup should cost you around $3200-3300 or so...ride in, ride out. Ofcourse you will have to pay someone to map it for you and thats another $250....this is assuming you already have the pipe, PCIII etc.

Ofcourse head porting, bigger cams, more compression etc etc will make more power, but the bill goes up and driveability goes down. This recipe above is for just a good reliable street motor that makes decent power.....nothing crazy but it will keep you up with the new 1000s....You could find some used Yosh drop in cams for about $400 and I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I would stay away from used pistons/cylinders.

If you need more info, PM me, I have plenty of recipes but its all in how much you want to spend and what you want.

If you are on a tight budget, just pull the motor, have someone do the tranny work for you for $650 in parts +labor(probably $100-200) and you put the motor back in and ride it...

I was hoping you'd chime in. As always good stuff. Let me put some bread together and I'll be sure and give you a shout. Thanks!

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #43
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Alan has good advice, might wanna talk to Gabe about his 07 zx10r for sale might be faster, they make great power and weigh less, late model 1K are killing alot of busas, some guys say the weight is the key, If U weigh say less than 180 then 1K is the way to go but if Ur a big boy then busaas and zx14,s are the ticket, then of course U put a 140lb guy on a busa or 14 and U might not be able to run him down
I only weigh 190 but I like the Busa because it just crunches miles w/o effort.

My next street bike will be a 1K, though.

I'd like to build the Busa with the end-goal of it being drag-only, no lights, etc.

I really like the idea of going turbo eventually but I'm put off by the cost and the fact that I really know too little about forced induction bikes to make good choices.

For now 190-200 hp would be a good start.

I would assume that you could turbo the 1397 motor, no?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #44
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I only weigh 190 but I like the Busa because it just crunches miles w/o effort.

My next street bike will be a 1K, though.

I'd like to build the Busa with the end-goal of it being drag-only, no lights, etc.

I really like the idea of going turbo eventually but I'm put off by the cost and the fact that I really know too little about forced induction bikes to make good choices.

For now 190-200 hp would be a good start.

I would assume that you could turbo the 1397 motor, no?
Yea the busa is prolly the best all around bike I,ve ever owned, puts miles away effortlessly, U can urbo a 1397, just dont want oo high compression and will need to back off timing, U can just as easily turbo a stock bore engine, I see people do this with caars all the time, do exhaust, cams, heads, etc and then do turbo or supercharger, when they shoulda just done that in the first place, have fun and be careful
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement