MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 02:16 AM   #21
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I think the average rider on a new 600 or 1000 can probably run 20k miles with nothing more than oil, filters, and maybe a set of front brake pads. Some bikes have valve check intervals sooner than others, but I think most I-4 bikes (these days) will go 30k miles with no clearance check, unless you run them on the track at extended high rpms.

Chains are another subject, but a well maintained (aka oiled) chain is good for 20,000 miles. My Busa got over 20k on an RK Gold which was still in great shape when I sold the bike, despite being ridden really hard...street, race track, and occasionally at the strip. Cheaper stock chains may not go so long, but all the 1000cc bikes seem to have chains that outlast the first owner.

Oil every 3000, same cost and trouble...size no matter.

In short, big bike vs small bike it is really just a question of tires. A ninja 250 will go half a race season on one set of bias plys. A 1000cc endurance bike sees two sets in one day's racing. Same on the street, double your hp, tire life goes in half. Front tires last about the same, big or small, it's more a weight issue.

Just get a bigger bike, the smile will erase any $$$'s you have to cough up to cover tires and tickets.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a battery, cost seems to have gone way up. maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-15-2008 06:11 PM
The Cost of Money Moody The Circus 6 07-02-2007 02:57 PM
How much you think this should cost? wever411 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 01-18-2007 05:46 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #22
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
I think the average rider on a new 600 or 1000 can probably run 20k miles with nothing more than oil, filters, and maybe a set of front brake pads. Some bikes have valve check intervals sooner than others, but I think most I-4 bikes (these days) will go 30k miles with no clearance check, unless you run them on the track at extended high rpms.

Chains are another subject, but a well maintained (aka oiled) chain is good for 20,000 miles. My Busa got over 20k on an RK Gold which was still in great shape when I sold the bike, despite being ridden really hard...street, race track, and occasionally at the strip. Cheaper stock chains may not go so long, but all the 1000cc bikes seem to have chains that outlast the first owner.

Oil every 3000, same cost and trouble...size no matter.

In short, big bike vs small bike it is really just a question of tires. A ninja 250 will go half a race season on one set of bias plys. A 1000cc endurance bike sees two sets in one day's racing. Same on the street, double your hp, tire life goes in half. Front tires last about the same, big or small, it's more a weight issue.

Just get a bigger bike, the smile will erase any $$$'s you have to cough up to cover tires and tickets.
+1000000000

and then I can get my bike over 6000 rpms when we ride
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #23
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Okay, this just isnt working how I wanted it to. Lets try something different.

How much (on the top of your head, does not have to be exact) have you spent on major service maintenance in your bike (major excludes oil change and tires). Please include what was done, the approx amnt, and what bike.

^ My bad on the spelling... and thanks MudBug.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
i remember a couple of years ago i bought a bike thinking i'd save money by using less gas. lol
anyways, i have probably invested a couple thousand in life support for my sv throughout my time of ownership.
the more difficult jobs go to patrick, where he can get it done for less money than it would take me to get it done. but for oil changes and simple stuff that doesnt require any calibration or tuning, i have learned through mostly trial and error how to do that.
sprocket and chain, check. properly adjusted headlight? lol, maybe not.

my suggestion would be to let patrick take care of your engine issues if you dont have a knowledgeable buddy handy to help you out
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
+1000000000

and then I can get my bike over 6000 rpms when we ride
Hey, its not my fault you are a noob that chose a 750 as a beginner bike jk!

Im looking at some good deals here and there and weighing in my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

No matter the bike, treat it well and you will be rewarded.

If you neglect a ninja 250, it will end up costing more in the long run than a well maintained Ducati.

On my 650, I have spent a total of 400 or so on maintenance, and have owned it for about 4 months.

Most of that came from $370 tires.
Rest from oil n stuff.

I also ride my bike on average 500 miles a week when weather is nice.

I think you should ditch the 250, but don't go for SS bikes. I am rounding up to my 15K mile mark and still know I have a ton to learn even on my 650r.

I probably cant ride your 250 to its limits either, but still would find myself bored on it.

Even the Ninja 500 would be fun. I owned a ninja 500 before my 650 and that thing was a blast too.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #27
Ares

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
I probably cant ride your 250 to its limits either,...
This is one, if not the only reason why I want to keep the 250. I want to be able to say something like: "My 250 and I can beat you and your [insert bigger bike here] around this track." But the track will most likely not have straights

Quote:
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #28
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
People do ride 250's at the track
Old 01-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #29
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #30
Nagasaki

Got my 500 with 150 miles on it. At 1000 miles I took it in for the first valve check/routine maintenance. I have three years prepaid maintenance so I really didn't look at the price. Then at 7500 I went in again for the valve check, etc. In the 6500 miles between those two times the valves started making clatter, so the 7500 mark needed the adjustment. I had to replace the rear tire at 3500 ($90 avon roadrider), the brake pads at 8000 (stock ones were squeaky and crappy), and I change the oil with rotella every 3000 miles. Overall I have probably spent maybe $150 over almost 9000 miles. It would be more if I didn't get the prepaid maintenance free.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #31
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
This is one, if not the only reason why I want to keep the 250. I want to be able to say something like: "My 250 and I can beat you and your [insert bigger bike here] around this track." But the track will most likely not have straights
Well, most of the riding miles you will do will not include the track.

As an only bike, I would not want a 250. I really like the extra power of the 500 or the 650r. I like having the mid range and the torque of my current bike. My 500 was good, but lacked that highway acceleration. Even with a shift or two down, it still just didn't have the acceleration I wanted.

A 250 would make a fantastic 2nd bike. I'd love to flick a 250 around 3090 and stuff. For my highway riding and commuting though, I like the extra highway-speed power

You could keep the 250 and make it a track bike. That could be fun too.

No matter what though, you are on a motorcycle and that is enough to be happy with.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #32
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Trackdays: 3

If you do your own maintenance, the increase in costs between the smaller and larger bikes are negligible.
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #33
Ares

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r

Quote:
A 250 would make a fantastic 2nd bike. I'd love to flick a 250 around 3090 and stuff.
That's what I've been doing so far, doing sweepers and some twisties in the street.

Quote:
For my highway riding and commuting though, I like the extra highway-speed power
The lack of freeway power was the first thing I pointed out when I got the bike but I do not commute on the freeway so this is no problem for me.

Nagasaki:
Thanks for the input. What I learned from the Motorcycles Unlimited class was that some bikes, mine included, need to be valve-adjusted at the intervals the MOM requires unlike some bikes that have long valve adjustment intervals.

Quote:

Last edited by Ares; 01-03-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #34
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
That's what I've been doing so far, doing sweepers and some twisties in the street.

The lack of freeway power was the first thing I pointed out when I got the bike but I do not commute on the freeway so this is no problem for me.

Nagasaki:
Thanks for the input. What I learned from the Motorcycles Unlimited class was that some bikes, mine included, need to be valve-adjusted at the intervals the MOM requires unlike some bikes that have long valve adjustment intervals.
Well it is not so much everyday. I don't commute everyday, but I use my ninja as my primary vehicle.

You seem to negate every reason why I say go ahead and sell and get a bigger bike, yet you are selling.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #35
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedestech View Post
I knew a guy who never owned a bike long enough for it's first oil change...

(he had some serious coin though...)
first oil change is normally at 500 miles.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
Ares

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r

Quote:
Well it is not so much everyday. I don't commute everyday, but I use my ninja as my primary vehicle.

You seem to negate every reason why I say go ahead and sell and get a bigger bike, yet you are selling.
Its just the "love for your first bike" syndrome kicking in. If I get my asking price, or close to it, its gone.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #37
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

im totally happy each time i upgrade so far, went from 250 to 800 to 1000 and dont regret it, like everybody else says - maint. is about the same save some engine work and tires but the difference is worth it, i feel alot safer on my 1000 on the highway and more capable to handle bad traffic situations and handling corners better.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #38
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Its just the "love for your first bike" syndrome kicking in. If I get my asking price, or close to it, its gone.
That's a great plan.

That is how I feel right now. My bike is for sale, but if I don't get the price I want, I wont sell.

Good luck with what you end up doing and getting.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #39
Redux

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

I would probably say that tire prices do differ.

Rear tire for the 250 was definitely less than the VFR.
With that said - upgrading to a bigger bike once you are ready is just more comfortable. Especially if you commute a lot ( I did ). The 250 is very very buzzy on the highway. 11k rpm @ 70 true mph. vs 6.5k rpm on the vfr.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #40
Nagasaki

Quote:
My 500 was good, but lacked that highway acceleration. Even with a shift or two down, it still just didn't have the acceleration I wanted.
Exactly the difference my dad pointed out when comparing my bike to his 650. He said my bike reminds him of a 4-cylinder car...gutless on the highway. He said his bike is like a six-cylinder car, got just the right amount of extra umph on the highway. How bout that er6n? I be likenenen that muferger!
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote