Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Almost got run off the road by a State Trooper

So I was riding around earlier today, running some errands today before the rain. Got done and was just cruising home. Exited I-10 eastbound on Park Ten (one exit before Hwy 6), stopped at the red light, made a left under the freeway, stopped at the red light, made a right on to Park Row. There's very little traffic on this street on the weekend and I wasn't in a rush or even thought I was speeding for that matter. It's really difficult to see behind you on my 06 Gsxr600 cause the mirrors are so short all you really see is your shoulders and then the blind spot. Had my earbuds on, just tuned out, riding my ride. (Reason I mention this is to note that I wasn't on a straight or freeway doing 120 mph, cutting through cars, racing, etc)

Next thing I know there's a state trooper cruiser with it's lights on in the right lane speeding up on me. I see him as I was getting up to the left turning lane to turn into my apts. I gave him the thumbs up and motioned that I was pulling over to the left and started to slow down. BIG MISTAKE. He started to swerve into my lane in front of my bike at least 3 times, each time slamming his brakes on me. Even though his door was right next to me, his tire kept swerving right in front of me. I was totally fcking shocked and looked at him like he was out of his mind. I slammed on my brakes and swerved 3 times to miss his cruiser swerving into me. Note that I said "into me" and NOT "into my lane". He was bent on knocking me over. When I came to a stop, my kickstand was right on the curb, and he had to scoot his cruiser up to even be able to open his door cause of how close he was to me.

He was yelling something at me, even with his window up. When he opened the door he was still yelling as I was turning off my bike and headphones. I hopped off my bike and tried to explain that I hadn't even seen him and that I lived in the apts just at the other side of this left turn. I just thought it'd be safer to stop in a lot than on the street. Well, he was still hollering at me, so I just stood there and let him get it off his chest. I repeated everything to him once he gave me the chance.

I gave him my license and insurance, all checked out ok ( he was even looking for the VIN to compare on the ins card) he then told me to drive to the parking lot up ahead on the right side. Away from my apts, if that makes any fkng sense. We both pulled up he gave me the run down, wrote me a ticket but had cooled down by then. He talked to me straight, wasn't an by this time. I had questions about my speed, the ticket, etc etc and he answered all respectfully and cool.

Now that I've had time to think about it, WTF was he thinking cutting into me like that? I know bikers flee all the time and this was also a topic he brought up and said they always ended up having to use force to get "us people" off the road like "what you just saw back there". I guess as if trying to justify what he did.

We see this on tv all the time with bikers running from the law. But , there's those of us that are just regular joe law abiding bikers on the road too. I dont think this situation required the actions he took and it coulda caused a pretty serious accident, in my case or even somewhere down the line with someone else. So here's my question: Was he right in his actions he took? Does the scenario I just described warrant him trying to force me off the road? Do I have any rights? Or does the fact that he assumed something automatically give him the right to endager my life? I'm pretty sure it's got to be on camera, both our actions and words. What are my options? Should I persue any kind of action or review?

Just FYI, I'm not trying to get out of a ticket, that's the least of my worries. I'm just wondering about my rights and if it's even worth looking into.

State trooper, last name was Uribe, older hispanic fella, about 50-ish, 5'7".
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SC State Trooper Shoots Unarmed Man r6racer The Circus 16 02-06-2015 06:35 PM
State trooper question Tisboihur General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 02-03-2012 02:06 AM
Cool State Trooper pinball General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 03-15-2011 02:23 PM
ohio state trooper fights with ems OMEGA Off Topic 43 05-29-2009 06:56 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
MrT713
Grand Kushi

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 Track

The police are always right, at least that's how they see it. Shoot first, ask questions later. They live by the code of the wild west
MrT713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT713 View Post
The police are always right, at least that's how they see it. Shoot first, ask questions later. They live by the code of the wild west
There's still laws they gotta abide by right? And i have rights too? Sorry, it can't be as simple as the code of the wild west, that's an idea long gone.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Holy here's a shocker. I dont have internet so i sometimes go to the business center at my apt complex to get online. As i'm leaving i walk past the fitness center and guess who the fck is on the treadmill? I guess this dude lives in the same apt complex as i do. this is getting interesting.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Report his !!!
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Ask to see the video from his patrol car *with a lawyer*.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
Report his !!!

File a complaint on him...if you dont nothing will get done.
CMRA #65
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Obviously the only solution is to burn down the entire complex just to make sure you get him.

For real, talk to a lawyer, they could likely subpeona the video from the car. Isn't the video available anyways under the freedom of information act or whatever? Any how, I would talk to a lawyer for sure, then go from there. It may not get you out of the ticket, but it may get some heat on the officer and teach him not to do that anymore.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 PM   #9
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Obviously the only solution is to burn down the entire complex just to make sure you get him.
Sounds like a plan, let me know if you have an extra room i can rent at your new place.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Member Garage

Oh ya, I forget, put all your stuff you care about in storage first.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #11
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomedicHFD View Post
File a complaint on him...if you dont nothing will get done.
My gf works for a lawyer. She said to bring to ticket by and she can get her boss to get the ball rolling. I'm just wondering if anyone here can give me the scoop on what my rights vs a cop's duty allows him to do in this situation.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
My gf works for a lawyer. She said to bring to ticket by and she can get her boss to get the ball rolling. I'm just wondering if anyone here can give me the scoop on what my rights vs a cop's duty allows him to do in this situation.
Doesn't really matter. It's all INTERPRETATION anyways
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
__NATE__

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Hayabusa
Honda Crf 450
TTR 90
Yami PW 50

File a complaint..... The video should show if you did something to warrant him putting your life in danger.. how fast did he say you were going
~~When you go into court, you are putting yourself in the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.~~~THIS IS MY BUSA THEIR ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS IS MINE! WITH OUT MY BUSA I'M A CAGER!~~~
__NATE__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Guess i'm gonna look into it over time. I'm even considering going to talk to him personally. Not sure what that's gonna get me. I remember this guy now. When me and my ex first moved in, we went to the pool with my 2 year old (at the time) to swim a while in the evening. It was 9:20 pm and this guy came out fully cop suited up and told us the pool closed at 9pm and demanded we leave. i can see if we were a bunch of noisy drunk kids but , we were just floating my kid around on a little float. Homeboy had full outfit and the arrogant attitude that goes with it.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #16
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Flame suit on...

Maybe he had a bad day and screwed up. What do you want to accomplish with a lawyer, etc?

Here's an idea. If he is working out in your apt complex, drop in and ask him if you two could talk man to man about what happened when he is done. Start off by saying the conversation isn't about the ticket you were given, but the action he took that caused you concern for your life. Explain that what he did could have put an inexperienced rider at risk and jeapordized a life and his career.

If he's an and tells you to go screw yourself, do whatever you think will make you feel better.

EDIT: Just saw your other post as I was typing this. Guy might have issues and actually just be an from what you are saying.

Everybody always wants to get a lawyer, file a complaint, etc. There are times that that is absolutely the proper thing to do. But try talking first.

Glad you were ok and didn't get injured.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #18
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

He said i was doing 60 in a 35. I find that hard to believe but dont deny its def possible. I guess regardless of what the speeding ticket entails, i'm talking about his aggressive tactics after what could NOT have been more than maybe 1/4 of a mile. From the last light i had stopped, then turned right on, it cant be more than 1 mile. I'll have to take out the gps and find out.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #19
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badzx14r View Post
Thanks bro. Your obvious superiority has been noted by all. I'll take your advice and slap him next time. I'm sure that's worked for all your tickets. Now go away, you're totally fcking useless.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #20
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Flame suit on...

Maybe he had a bad day and screwed up. What do you want to accomplish with a lawyer, etc?

Here's an idea. If he is working out in your apt complex, drop in and ask him if you two could talk man to man about what happened when he is done. Start off by saying the conversation isn't about the ticket you were given, but the action he took that caused you concern for your life. Explain that what he did could have put an inexperienced rider at risk and jeapordized a life and his career.

If he's an and tells you to go screw yourself, do whatever you think will make you feel better.

EDIT: Just saw your other post as I was typing this. Guy might have issues and actually just be an from what you are saying.

Everybody always wants to get a lawyer, file a complaint, etc. There are times that that is absolutely the proper thing to do. But try talking first.

Glad you were ok and didn't get injured.

Staton
Good words of advice but the more i think about it, it's about his aggressive attitude, not if he had a bad day or needed a friendly ear or to blow off steam. I'm not running to a lawyer in the sense that i'm trying to get money or my dismissed, i'm more concerned with getting some peace of mind. And hey, if i got no rights going against a cop or if what i did completely gives him the right, then cool. I can deal with that.

Advertisement