MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
Neversatisfied02

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)
2005 Suzuki GSXR 600 (SOLD)

Looking at two CBR1000RR's... help me decide!!

Well guys,
Its been awhile since ive posted so hello everyone and Merry X-Mas! Anyway, Ive been out of the bike game for a bit but im getting back in as i have a couple good deals lined up. Rode a buddies 08 1000RR the other day and im hooked! That bike is amazing! Super light and wicked FAST!! Not only that, being winter right now and with this market, people are hurtin and ive found 2 CBR's for great prices so ill be buying the one i decide on outright asap.

Anyway, im trying to decide between these 2 bikes.

FIRST:
~2009 Honda CBR1000RR. (Solid black w/ 3200 miles)
-carbon fiber Akra slip on
-CRG shorty levers
-smoked double bubble windscreen
-Hotbodies undertail kit w/ flush mounts and new mount for plate
-Renthal grips
-Pilot power tires with good tread
-Shogun frame slider kid w/ bar ends and spools

Bike is clean w/ clear title (bank still currently has it but not much is owed). It appears that it has been wrecked at some point. How bad... Im not really sure. From what i can tell (judging off the minor rash/flaws i found when i inspected it), it looks like both of the case covers on the motor were probably replaced as well as whatever other cosmetics that were damaged in the accident (Mirror, plastics, etc). Only small signs i see that tell me its been down is some minor rash on the kickstand(can be replaced), some rash on one of the rear footpegs(ill take them off) and on the bottom of both rearsets(ill run vortex set later anyway) which raised flags to take a closer look. Bike looks great other than these small things but my biggest concern is that it seems to have a slightly tweaked subframe and im pretty sure its had the rear wheel replaced too. 09 came with solid black wheels(i believe) and the rear on this bike has the white stripe on it which i believe is an 08 thing. Someone might have done it for looks but im guessing with the other things i found, it would prob replaced due to damage. Though this all sounds bad, the subframe really being the biggest deal here is an inexpensive fix. I can get another one for $180 through a buddy if needed. This guy lost his job and needs money bad so he's pushin to sell it.

2nd choice:
~2008 Honda CBR1000RR. (Red/Black w/ 1200 miles)
-Bone stock down to the big nasty fender... lol

Bike appears to be very clean and looks to have never been down from what i cant tell.

Now, which bike would yall go for? Both are GREAT deals and both have their pros/cons. The 09 being a year newer and with all the extras it already has is nice and i kinda like the all black (always been a fan). On the other hand, the 08 with less miles obviously has its pros too and the fact it doesnt appear to have ever been down (from what i can tell) is a plus. I also really like the traditional red/black honda scheme but not sure if i like it as much as i like the black. As far as the bike i buy being perfect, im not too worried about it. Im usually very picky on condition but considering both bikes are priced as great as they are and ill be buying the bike outright, Im only picky to an extent. Ill be using it as a toy/commuter(school) and maybe even trackin it for fun on weekend. Knowing me, ill prob just play with it for a year and trade it/sell it for something else anyway. I never keep anything for a long time. lol

LMK yall's opinion though.

Thanks!!
Neversatisfied02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me decide!!!!!! CBR_TRAN Car Forum 18 01-22-2013 10:56 PM
Help Me Decide 91stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 01-03-2012 09:13 AM
Can't Decide!!! Gumby General Discussion (Moto Related) 48 03-04-2008 11:47 PM
can't decide what to do first... bjoconnor General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 07-22-2007 08:05 AM
You decide Los Off Topic 22 09-07-2006 04:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
306 That Could
Chromed out 1100!!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2013 Kawi ZX-10R
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Sold)

Stock one.....I wouldnt want to jack with a bike thats been down and I wasnt sure what was wrong with it. Could turn out to be more of a headache than you thought. Plus its always fun to do the mods yourself....
Old 12-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
NeedySV

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
SV1000K6

I would go with the stock one. If you don't truly know the extent of the damage on the first bike then its not worth the risk. Get the stock bike and add all of the goody's you want. That list of accessories really isn't that long if thats the kinds of mods you're looking for.
NeedySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #4
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306 That Could View Post
Stock one.....I wouldnt want to jack with a bike thats been down and I wasnt sure what was wrong with it. Could turn out to be more of a headache than you thought. Plus its always fun to do the mods yourself....
True. I was kinda leaning that way but the 09 is still very clean and I can actually get it cheaper than the 08 so being a year newer with all the extras still makes it so tempting that i cant decide. And as far as the damage or the bike being down in the past, its all my speculation judging off what i saw. If it has been down, someone did a good job fixing it cosmetically. The current owner bought the bike the way it is and didnt even notice the things i did on it. I wouldnt have noticed those things had i not been looking so close at every detail. Who knows, could be very minor and im just making a bigger deal out of it than i should or it could have been dumped by the original owner and covered/repaired by the owners insurance or something.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedySV View Post
I would go with the stock one. If you don't truly know the extent of the damage on the first bike then its not worth the risk. Get the stock bike and add all of the goody's you want. That list of accessories really isn't that long if thats the kinds of mods you're looking for.
Yeah, i might just do that. And you're right... Mod list on the 09 really isnt that long but i just figured it puts me a couple steps ahead and leaves me with little left to mess with on it as opposed to getting the stock one and starting at square one.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Remember this, if the 09 has been wrecked and repaired, but still runs ok, then you buy it and decide after a year to sell it, the next buyer might become aware (as you did) of some damage and/or repair and not give you anywhere what it's worth. I only mention it because you say you dont keep your toys long. You say you've been here a while so you no doubt know who Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited is. Take the 09 to him and have them look it over. That should easily erase much doubt over the previous damage and potential future problems. Sounds like you got some good deals lined up. Post up pics when you decide and make your purchase. And maybe even help the seller of the other bike you didn't buy post up here and give someone else a shot at a good buy. Good luck!
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Any way to contact the original owner to discuss the extent of damage and repairs? The current seller may be able to help you find the previous owner.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Also ask the owners of these two bikes how much oil they burn. Some '08 CBR 1000's burned oil, but not all of them. I don't know if the problem was resolved for the 2009 model.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
Also ask the owners of these two bikes how much oil they burn. Some '08 CBR 1000's burned oil, but not all of them. I don't know if the problem was resolved for the 2009 model.
yup, u should just get a zx-10r and be done with it

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

What is your definition of a good deal?
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
What is your definition of a good deal?
Same question in my mind.

You don't list the asking price, but I do know you can get brand spanking new 2008 ones OTD for about $8700-$8800 here locally and with Honda low interest financing if you don't want to/can't pay it all at once. If you have a nice MH member that works at a Honda dealership, you can probably get a better deal. That's what I was quoted at two different stores. They are even cheaper out of state. I don't know what was changed on the 09, other than availability of ABS (?). There aren't as many 2008's out there as there were at once, but they are still there if you look. I know there is one at Wild West in Katy.

You'd have a new bike, new warranty, etc. That's hard to beat.

I was going to go that route, until I check on insurance. For a near 40 year old with a clean record, it was still 1600/year! That was the deal killer for me.

I ended up buying a used Speed Triple instead.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
The Black Sheepdog
Derp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 600RA
06 F4i
fiddy

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to The Black Sheepdog
without listing the price and going solely on your description, I'd recommend going with the undamaged 2008 as that is what I'd do myself. Why have something that's been down when you can get another for (almost) crispy fresh 'n new?
Old 12-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Looks like a bunch of votes for the 08. And yes, i know Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited. Used to have my bikes over there on a regular basis.

I know the 08's had the oil burning issue and thats why i was shying away towards the 09 even though it has the minor flaws i found. I believe that oil burning problem was fixed in late 08 and the 09's weren't affected at all to my knowledge. Id ask the seller but I guarantee he wouldn't admit it if it was and there is really no way to find out without putting some miles on it so its a shot in the dark.

Gary, whats up bro? I was actually going to get an 05 zx10r but after riding the 1000RR, it feels like it has that same wicked power but feels even lighter! And, its going to be 3 or 4 years newer which is nice.

Price on the 09 was $7000. After talking to the guy and looking it over and haggling on the flaws i found, he is willing to take $6000 for it as is.

Price on the 08 is $6500 but he will prob go $6000 too so price is pretty much the same on each.

Neither bikes are posted online or have pics. I was informed of them through a couple different friends of mine who got me the contact info because he knew i could pick on of them up pretty cheap.

And whats the deal with prices on these things right now anyway? You could never touch a bike this new and nice for a price like that and even like said above, you can get 08 leftovers new for just over $8000! Is it really just the time of year and market?? MSRP is $13k on these things! I paid $11,500 OTD for my 07 ZX10R in 07 and sold it for $10k after the ugly 08's were already out. I'm really shocked at the prices but it seems to be everywhere. After looking online doing research, ive seen a lot of people selling their nice bikes for super cheap right now.

Last edited by Neversatisfied02; 12-26-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

It's funny man, I been meaning to ask you if your getting another bike again.
It's a toss up,I'm not really sure what to tell ya, I'd probably have to look @ the 09 myself to really answer the question.
Anyways, when you get back on 2, lets do some riding

Old 12-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #15
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

As long as the Title is CLEAN on the 09. I would go for the 09 and try to get it for $5500. You can replace all the little details and make it look like its never been down.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #16
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
It's funny man, I been meaning to ask you if your getting another bike again.
It's a toss up,I'm not really sure what to tell ya, I'd probably have to look @ the 09 myself to really answer the question.
Anyways, when you get back on 2, lets do some riding
Yeah... Wasnt planning on it but got the ITCH! lol

I think im gonna take a buddy of mine and take a closer look at the 09 again. I think maybe i was being too critical because the bike really is nice. Prob made it sound like a horror story with my speculation... lol

And def man!! Once this weather warms up, im down to get out!!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
As long as the Title is CLEAN on the 09. I would go for the 09 and try to get it for $5500. You can replace all the little details and make it look like its never been down.
Thats my thoughts man. Year newer, all the mods and the color i really want.

Fixing the minor flaws is going to be easy. Ill be taking the rear pegs off anyway, replacing the rearsets with vortex sets and ill check and see if the subframe is really bent. Might have just been my eyes or the way i was looking at it. Afterall, the plastic tail section moves a bit so that might be it but if it is bent, its cheap and easy.

I want to get rid of the ugly stock tri-bar wheels for some gold carrozeira (spelling) wheels. Then the bike would be perfect!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neversatisfied02 View Post
I want to get rid of the ugly stock tri-bar wheels for some gold carrozeira (spelling) wheels. Then the bike would be perfect!
You sir, have excellent taste
Once I finish up my little winter projects with my 10R, we need to ride.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #19
Neversatisfied02

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 1000
2007 Kawi ZX10R (SOLD)
2006 Kawi ZX6R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
You sir, have excellent taste
Once I finish up my little winter projects with my 10R, we need to ride.
Lol! Thanks bro! Gold on black looks so sick! Maybe some gold rearsets and levers too to match the scheme. Also kinda wanna get rid of the electronic damper(depending how good it is) for a gold top mount GPR like my ZX6R had.

And yes, the title on the 09 is CLEAN the owner said! No way he could lie about that because the bike still has a lein on it and banks/credit unions wont loan on a Salvaged/Rebuilt title period. My buddy and I just went and looked at it again. If the subframe is bent, its very minimal and most likely caused by a stand still fall over. The rear peg with the sign of contact with concrete is on the left side and the way the subframe looks tweaked is to the right just a hair so thats most likely what happened. The peg doesnt have rash... just concrete indentions from hitting the ground. Bike actually looked cleaner today than the first time i looked at it. I think i was just being too picky.

Offered the guy $5500 cash and he said no way. We agreed on $5800 though which i think is more than fair for a clean title 2009 1000RR w/ low miles on it and tasteful mods!! No doubt its a good investment. Ill have it minty in no time!

Picking it up tomorrow! Better than worrying about the 08 having the oil burning issue IMO.

Last edited by Neversatisfied02; 12-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #20
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Cant go wrong with a 09 Honda 1000RR for $5,800! Badass deal!
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement