MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

SUMO WR426-questions/opinions

SO I got the bug again to get another bike...looking for a Motard that I can use on the street-to and from work and for the track. Keep in mind im not looking to set track records but just get out there and have a good time. So mentioning straight up race motards wont be helpful since I wanna ride this thing to work too.

Im leaning towards a board members DRZ400SM(still waiting to go see it) but I came across this bad boy and wanted to know what ppl thought--experiences and opninions

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=93074

Do these require to much maintence to be streetable? Also the bike is located in tennesse and well i wont be able to see it before I buy it so thats kind of a draw back. Read some articles on thumper talk that they do make a good streetable tard...just want some you u guys inputs...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Sumo riding now Mando Super Motards 35 07-06-2013 06:11 PM
ninja 250 sumo switch General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 05-14-2012 02:19 PM
Where to get a WR426 Stator and Flywheel brooooop Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 1 06-30-2011 01:17 PM
Nice sumo vid. GABRIEL Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 6 04-15-2009 10:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

PM SCRC John. He has an 04 I believe.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Ninja View Post
Cant see link unless I become a member, GAY!!!
here is his flickr page

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/a...view=slideshow

For sale is a 2002 WR426 SuperMotard. I really dont want to see it go but I bought it and really don't need it. Here is a quick rundown. 02 Wr426: converted to YZ plastic, Hotcams w/auto decomp, Complete Pro Ciruit exhaust, Baja lighting kit, Warp 9 wheels, Conti tires, Trail tech vapor, Cooling fans installed, All suspension has been revalved and gone through, powder coated EVERYTHING! I am sure there are alot more piddly things that I am forgetting. But as you can see in the pics the bike looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. This bike was built from the ground up there is not a bolt on this bike that was not touched. As stated above if it didnt get replace it got powder coated. Pictures can NOT do this bike justice. You really do have to see this to believe how clean it is. You can see the detail that went into building this bike. It is street legal and registered. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Clear Georgia title. Over $4000 in Parts not including the cost of the bike. I will take $3500. Make me an offer, I will sell to best offer. Thanks for looking. I have lots of photos just click on the link. You have seen it, now is your chance, want it? Lots of goodies to go with it if you pay full asking price, I will ship anywhere in U.S. you pay. Located in Chattanooga Tenn.

Last edited by BYRDMAN; 12-19-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
KTM Tommy

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 KTM SXC 625
Kona King Kikapu
2005 Trek 2300 triple/ten

I have a tarded, 2003 KTM SXC 625. I commute on it and have ridden it as far as Austin. The most expensive and time consuming maintenance item has been tires.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

As Jason said, John rocks a WR450, pretty good too. Look for the MH thread, that thing should be very sweet.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:00 AM   #8
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I think it's funny he put it on a tarp while it was in the grass. Badass rompin stompin dirt/motard bike and he don't wanna get grass on the tires. lol
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I really like my wr450. I rode it for approx 2500 street miles and 9 trackdays. I spun the rod bearing. I'm not -hurt over it though. I had no history on the motor or how it was maintained. Now that everything is fresh, I'm hoping to get a year out of it before it needs another tear-down. I changed the oil after each trackday or 1500 street miles.

With all of that said, there are some inherant issues when you use something for something it is not intended to be. I call them growing pains. When I got my bike, it was basically a stock WR450 with 17" wheels. I've put a lot into (time & $$) to get it where it is now. It is a hoot to ride on the street, and I really enjoy passing 1000's on the track with this thing
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
thetank
You're My Boy, Blue!!!

Bike(s):
B-KING
R1 Race Bike - last of the 5 valves
KTM 450 SMR
To name a few . . .

The WR426 is an IDEAL street legal SUMO! First off, the entire 426 series from Yamaha was AMAZINGLY reliable! The parts look a LOT like the newer 450 models, but the cases were heavier, the bolts were larger, and the components on the entire bike were a little larger and therefore RELIABLE as an anvil!

The WR in the model refer to the "Wide Ratio" of the transmission which gears the bike to have a much higher top speed over the shorter geared YZ. Also, the WR has the internal equipment necessary for the lighting of street legal equipment.

All you HAVE to do is put on thee appropriate SUMO wheels, and go!

They bike should last as long as you want to do maintenance!

Of course, even though the bike is "heavier" than a 450, it is by a miniscule amount (at least by streetbike standards) and should serve your streetbike duties quite well, and quite pleasurably for a long time to come!
thetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

The WR's would make about as good a street motard as you can from a converted dirtbike. It has the wider ration trans (hence the WR426), which will mean lower rpms at street cruising speeds. I would imagine that highway riding will still put a strain on the motor though. I would suggest going through the motor on the bike at a minimum every year, top and bottom end. Depending on how many miles you put on it, maybe sooner than every year. The problem with big singles is that there is a lot of stress in the motor to begin with, and running one wide open for an extend period of time is just asking for problems. Also, when they go boom, it is a very expensive sound. Best to spend money on the maintenance of the motor, verses buying new motor cases.

The DRZ400SM would also be a good option for street use. The power is not there like it would be with the WR, but the bike is super reliable to the tune of no real motor maintenance. Would make a great street hooligan, but probably not the sharpest track weapon.

KTM also has a really nice 690 SM (the newer ones), but they are $$$$$.

All things said, a motard is all about which compromise you want to make. More powerful bikes take more maintenance, and more reliable bikes lack the power.

I think the power is worth the maintanence, but wouldn't put mine on the street!

Last edited by mcd; 12-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

thanks for all the input and advice motohouston...very informative replies here...with all that is said I am still cautious on this bike...I mean I wish i had the time to go up to Tennesse and pick this bike up myself but I simply dont have the time right now. Only thing stoping me is paying money for a potentially broke bike....only thing I can do is talk to the seller to try and get a feel for his honesty and ask a but load of questions to see if he has conflicting stories...either way no hurry to buy but this is definately and option I am thinking about.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

If it were me, I would plan to tear the motor down from the get go, and at least inspect everything. Hopefully it would not need a major rebuild right after you buy it, but it would be good insurance to know what you have before you put a bike that was not designed for street use on the street.

If you are planning to tear the motor down at the start, shipping a bike really wouldn't be too big of a show stopper. I personally prefer to see the bike and listen to it run before paying the cash.

Why not look into getting a local used WR in dirt trim, and converting it. It shouldn't cost too much to get it road worthy, especially buying used parts.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #14
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post
If it were me, I would plan to tear the motor down from the get go, and at least inspect everything. Hopefully it would not need a major rebuild right after you buy it, but it would be good insurance to know what you have before you put a bike that was not designed for street use on the street.

If you are planning to tear the motor down at the start, shipping a bike really wouldn't be too big of a show stopper. I personally prefer to see the bike and listen to it run before paying the cash.

Why not look into getting a local used WR in dirt trim, and converting it. It shouldn't cost too much to get it road worthy, especially buying used parts.
Yea I hear ya on that....I have a disorder though...it affects millions of Americans each year

Its called Impatient....that me big time....thats mainly y i sold the TTR i wanted to convert...looked for used parts and couldnt find anything worth buying...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #15
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/1476103628.html

I'm not sure if this one is still available, but if it is, I bet you can get it pretty cheap.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

my 426 ripped!

i had to put knobbies back on it to prevent hand cuffs being slapped around the wrists.

the 400 requires a lot less self control.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #17
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
my 426 ripped!

i had to put knobbies back on it to prevent hand cuffs being slapped around the wrists.

the 400 requires a lot less self control.
still waiting to see your DRZ

Old 12-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #18
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
still waiting to see your DRZ

You'll be waiting a long time.
I've been trying to get this guy to go riding since he bought the thing, but mommy wont let him.

Last edited by Scorpio; 12-21-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #19
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

+1 to everything said so far.

keep in mind that the 426 will be a little more maintenance rather than a drz400SM. The drz is built for road use and mileage where as the 426 was built with more performance in mind.

my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement