MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
HoustonRepsol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2013 HD Breakout
09 Honda CBR 1000 Repsol
07 Buell lightning 1200
04 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Helmet removal systems are only as good as the training provided to "Trained emergency personnel" ie FD, EMS to remove a helmet. It is not that hard for us as EMS and Fire to remove a helmet without a "system". It just takes a couple sets of hands. The new shoei cheek pad removal tabs are a good idea but not many outside the MC community know what they are.

As for saying "life over limb" if the injury is higher in the c-spine than C-5 a person "yanking" the helmet off assuming the patient survives will not only be paralyzed they will be on a ventilator the rest of their life as the phrenic nerve that controls the diaphragm comes out at C-4

All this being said the chances of surviving a traumatic arrest are less than 1%. As psyco said I wouldn't blame anyone who is trying to do whatever they can to save a friend or fellow rider. But the reality is the ambulance will show up and most likely call a field termination.

As for the CPR debate as stated bad CPR is better than no CPR. NEVER do mouth to mouth. I don't care who you are or where you took your class, no one is taught to give mouth to mouth resuscitations anymore. Yes in the EMS and hospital settings we give breaths but using a device not locking lips.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Helmet Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-01-2006 07:14 PM
so i got my new helmet in............ hfa3g11 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-17-2005 09:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #42
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

have to agree on cutting it off. it may SOUND horrible if concious, but i think that is the most direct access, for loosening a helmet up, and removal.

what if there is a flaw on the "ejector" and it pushes the helmet slightly in another direction, and starts to bind the helmet against the head? and the rescuers version to find a way to SLIDE it into place between the head, and helmet? with soft linings today, and all the channels for ventilation, and sandwhiched between the foam, and the skull, i just see too many snagging, or interferance issues with it.

but again i really hope i am wrong.

but for me, just cut that FACKER OFF!
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #43
HoustonRepsol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2013 HD Breakout
09 Honda CBR 1000 Repsol
07 Buell lightning 1200
04 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

I could be wrong but I have never seen or heard of cutting off a MC helmet. maybe at the hospital they could do this but to properly secure someone to a backboard and put on a c-collar the helmet has to come off and it needs to come off for access to the airway should anything happen enroute to the hospital.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #44
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

they just take a die grinder (similar) and cut through the shell, split it in half. It can be removed without any pulling on the spine.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #45
mammothmc

Don't touch the helmet unless you are absolutely positively certain that the person's airway is blocked.

Chances are you're going to screw it up even if you know what you're doing.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #46
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

chop saw ftw!

Old 05-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #47
GAU-8
official thread ender.

Trackdays: 1

yeah but thats not the chop saw that auto-locks/stops as soon as it detects flesh. (i forgot what it was called)

threw a hot dog into it, hot dog came out with a tiny surface scrape, but no cut.
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #48
+Travis+
Our past stops right now

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R

With my luck, I'd accidentally activate the CO2 inflation device while hitting the transition before t1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) {ack, cha, ack... choke}

Anybody know if the Arai product can be fit into their older helmets? (I tried looking through their website, but that section is down for maintenance.)
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #49
CCH
Innocent Bystander

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2000 Ducati 996
1991 Suzuki RGV250m two-smoke bicycle on crack
1999 R6 sold to a dip$h!t
1995 Ducati 900SP gone, more or less
1999 Ducati 996 died a glorious death in North GA, Feb 2006

Member Garage

When I cracked my ribs / T10 and T11 vertebrae in a crash back in 1999, the EMTs removed my helmet manually before they strapped me to the board. Slowly, and with two of them working together, but not by cutting it off in that instance.

I am certified in first aid, environmental emergencies and adult/child CPR by the American Heart Association and our instuctor taught that if at all possible give breaths in addition to the compressions. I carry a CPR mask and small med kit on group rides. I'll use it if I need to - even if you're ugly

If an EMT is in the habit of cutting the helmet off, I doubt that they'd use the ejector and would use their tried and true method. I don't think that people are familiar enough with the concept at this point. Cool idea though.

Advertisement