Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Safety Corner Main
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Helmet Ejector

With all of the talk about "how fast can you go on 3090," "I want to get a supersport for my first bike," etc. I was wondering about helmet removal for a casualty in need of CPR. I know there is a thread for manual removal, but I stumbled across the linked tech:
http://www.ejectsafety.com/home.html
http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/e...moval-kit.aspx

My questions are:
Has anyone used these?
and
What do you think of this tech?
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Helmet Racer X 05 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-01-2006 07:14 PM
so i got my new helmet in............ hfa3g11 General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 12-17-2005 09:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Seems like a decent system.
I think the solution that Arai came up with is a bit more simple, yet still effective.

You can watch video below to see how it works...

Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
Seems like a decent system.
I think the solution that Arai came up with is a bit more simple, yet still effective.

You can watch video below to see how it works...

Cool. I think that is a much simpler system (KISS and Murphy come to mind). It also looks like it would be pretty warm to wear all the time.

Has anyone used either of these?
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
Old 12-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

CPR does not require rescue breaths. Do not remove the helmet.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
CPR does not require rescue breaths. Do not remove the helmet.
Thank you, I will modify my prior training. ref http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/dealing...athing-and-cpr

However, actual medical professionals may still need to remove the helmet for bleeding, cranial surgery, etc. and wonder if this would help them.

For the lay person I think I might sport this sticker.
http://www.streetglo.net/helmet.remo...ing.decal.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	obj702helmetremovalp20.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	30391  
Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #6
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
Thank you, I will modify my prior training. ref http://firstaid.webmd.com/tc/dealing...athing-and-cpr

However, actual medical professionals may still need to remove the helmet for bleeding, cranial surgery, etc. and wonder if this would help them.

For the lay person I think I might sport this sticker.
http://www.streetglo.net/helmet.remo...ing.decal.html
Yeah, most actual CPR classes now they will tell you, you do not have to, the rescue breathes are not near as important as getting the heart going again, just ensure the airway is opened.

Exactly, let the EMTs or the doctors removed the helmet. Don't remove the helmet of a crashed rider that cannot get up. If the EMT's remove it fine. If they really fear removing the helmet will harm the patient, I imagine they would likely wait til they get to the hospital and let the hospital cut it off.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Exactly, let the EMTs or the doctors removed the helmet. Don't remove the helmet of a crashed rider that cannot get up. If the EMT's remove it fine. If they really fear removing the helmet will harm the patient, I imagine they would likely wait til they get to the hospital and let the hospital cut it off.
Okay. I can save my money then.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #8
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

I was hoping that as they slowly pulled of the helmet it would reveal a smokin hot chick.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I was hoping that as they slowly pulled of the helmet it would reveal a smokin hot chick.
lol; instead of a stereotype of bad drivers?

Interesting idea, but I'd rather have a redundant helmet design that isnt going to confuse the medical folk assisting me. As for them cutting the helmet or other gear for that matter, I know if i dont want it cut it needs to be off before they get there Otherwise cut away. I cant put a price on my well being but their bills will. Insurance can pay for the gear.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #10
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
lol; instead of a stereotype of bad drivers?

Interesting idea, but I'd rather have a redundant helmet design that isnt going to confuse the medical folk assisting me. As for them cutting the helmet or other gear for that matter, I know if i dont want it cut it needs to be off before they get there Otherwise cut away. I cant put a price on my well being but their bills will. Insurance can pay for the gear.
And they will destory it. If they need access, they will cut right through your leathers to get them off too.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

If its on, i know in the plants and with the FD when i ran with them. Its getting cut off

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
psychomedicHFD
CMRA Expert #65

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Yamaha R1 Race bike

Yank the lid off...if a person requires chest compressions...c-spine precautions are the least of your worries. Motorcycle incident with cpr is considered a traumatic arrest and most paramedics will 1050 the pt.
psychomedicHFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

I agree with the above but also Life over Limb...If you need CPR with breaths Your fighting for your life....If you get away being Paralyzed cause someone removed the helmet...look at it as a WIN
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
PYROBUG51
GMFS Racing

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 750 Track
06 R6 Track

04 ZX6RR NINJA (STOLEN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomedicHFD View Post
Yank the lid off...if a person requires chest compressions...c-spine precautions are the least of your worries. Motorcycle incident with cpr is considered a traumatic arrest and most paramedics will 1050 the pt.
Hahahah I was just writing the same thing as you poseted
PYROBUG51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah, most actual CPR classes now they will tell you, you do not have to, the rescue breathes are not near as important as getting the heart going again, just ensure the airway is opened.

breathing depends on the training one receives, the lay person is taught not to give rescue breaths..... medical personel are still taught to give breaths. bottom line is, if you don't know what your doing........don't
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartandude View Post
With all of the talk about "how fast can you go on 3090," "I want to get a supersport for my first bike," etc. I was wondering about helmet removal for a casualty in need of CPR. I know there is a thread for manual removal, but I stumbled across the linked tech:
http://www.ejectsafety.com/home.html
http://www.shockdoctor.com/product/e...moval-kit.aspx

My questions are:
Has anyone used these?
and
What do you think of this tech?

good find..... I will be adding one of these to my CAP.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
07CBR

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
08 CBR600, silver
07 CBR600, black (wrecked/sold)
Suzuki DRZ400SM, yellow (sold)

It looks like a great idea and I would definately consider adding one to both of my helmets. The only problem I see is how many ambulance/fire departments carry the CO2 cartridges and inflator to use it? It's not going to do you any good if it's there but they have no way to inflate it. If this company really pushes it and more EMS/FDs are educated about it and carry the inflator then I think it could be a great purchase.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
breathing depends on the training one receives, the lay person is taught not to give rescue breaths..... medical personel are still taught to give breaths. bottom line is, if you don't know what your doing........don't
not exactly. the official curriculum for every class i have taken over the years since high school, fd or just a general class, taught rescue breathes. But they all mentioned, that they were not required.

I'm not gonna argue with the HFD guys as they know way more than me, on the subject and are surely far more trained and experienced.

But my thoughts are this. Myself I keep a one way mask in the truck. But I don't carry one on my keys or in my pocket so I don't always have one. If it's someone I really don't know, chances are I am not giving them rescue breathes without a mask, maybe some think that isn't right, maybe some don't. But communicable diseases are one of the reasons why the Red Cross and others are leaning more towards taking rescue breathes out of the general class curriculum all together. If its a friend or a family member, then I'm sure I would give them breathes whether I have a mask or not as chances are I know they don't have a dangerous communicable disease.

So my point is, if I was at an accident where a rider wrecked and needed CPR that I did not know and I did not have any form of mask or one way guard to give breathes, I won't.

I could be wrong, I think someone more like a doctor could maybe speak more on the subject. But I would think during chest compressions, the only strain on a persons neck and spine would be up and down from the movement, maybe even less harmful if someone was holding c spine. I really don't know. But if I don't NEED to take their helmet off, why would I, and risk twisting their neck at all?

Like I said, I am no expert on the matter, and certainly don't know the 100% correct answer, but that's simply my thoughts on what I would and wouldn't do and why.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #19
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
not exactly. the official curriculum for every class i have taken over the years since high school, fd or just a general class, taught rescue breathes. But they all mentioned, that they were not required.

I'm not gonna argue with the HFD guys as they know way more than me, on the subject and are surely far more trained and experienced.

But my thoughts are this. Myself I keep a one way mask in the truck. But I don't carry one on my keys or in my pocket so I don't always have one. If it's someone I really don't know, chances are I am not giving them rescue breathes without a mask, maybe some think that isn't right, maybe some don't. But communicable diseases are one of the reasons why the Red Cross and others are leaning more towards taking rescue breathes out of the general class curriculum all together. If its a friend or a family member, then I'm sure I would give them breathes whether I have a mask or not as chances are I know they don't have a dangerous communicable disease.

So my point is, if I was at an accident where a rider wrecked and needed CPR that I did not know and I did not have any form of mask or one way guard to give breathes, I won't.

I could be wrong, I think someone more like a doctor could maybe speak more on the subject. But I would think during chest compressions, the only strain on a persons neck and spine would be up and down from the movement, maybe even less harmful if someone was holding c spine. I really don't know. But if I don't NEED to take their helmet off, why would I, and risk twisting their neck at all?

Like I said, I am no expert on the matter, and certainly don't know the 100% correct answer, but that's simply my thoughts on what I would and wouldn't do and why.
if you take cpr for health care providers, you give breaths...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 AM   #20
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
if you take cpr for health care providers, you give breaths...
I have taken CPR for health care providers multiple times, I have also taken generic CPR classes through work and school for everyone in general and been CPR certified since I was 15. ALL classes, the official curriculum taught to give 2 rescue breathes. And EVERY instructor has noted that breathes are NOT required and definitely at your discretion without a mask available.

Repeating myself here.

Advertisement