MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #21
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

well iv been welding for a very long time started on trucks and ended up being a welder for the navy, anyways i got an 08 gsxr with 20, miles on it does that mean anything ?
lanzer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a re-post? "Fastest" MotoGP full length documentary sequel to "Faster". eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2011 10:23 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #22
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Regardless of the miles or time; when you stop learning and think you know it all, it's time to do a reality check.

If you want experience, there is no substitute for seat time. You have to open yourself up to trying new things, different venues, different roads.

The more you can learn about the bike and how it works, the more you'll be able to understand what it is communicating to you.

Track days, read articles, ask questions, whatever you can do to increase your skill set and broaden your horizons.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Regardless of the miles or time; when you stop learning and think you know it all, it's time to do a reality check.

If you want experience, there is no substitute for seat time. You have to open yourself up to trying new things, different venues, different roads.

The more you can learn about the bike and how it works, the more you'll be able to understand what it is communicating to you.

Track days, read articles, ask questions, whatever you can do to increase your skill set and broaden your horizons.
BINGO! :-)
Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #24
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzer913 View Post
well iv been welding for a very long time started on trucks and ended up being a welder for the navy, anyways i got an 08 gsxr with 20, miles on it does that mean anything ?
It means F-Bama.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #25
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Good question by the OP. Another question is does the size of one's bike define the rider?

Let me use my experience as an example:
On Helios' fayetevelle ride when multiple people went offroading the first question the fast riders (who was on the scene later) asked was "who went down, was it the 250 who went down?"

Although I know I am a noob, with roughly 2k miles within 3 months and no trackdays, I think I am a better rider because of the experience I gained esp on the group rides. Unfortunately for the sweepers in the rides I've gone on, I am always slowing them down but I always ask them: "How does my riding look? What do you think could I improve on? etc."
Well mainly some would assume from your slow speed you were very new and would be the one to wreck.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #26
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Between my first and second bike I logged nearly 20k miles after 1 year of riding, then i discovered riding on the track, and I've done maybe 1000 street miles since then. It just didn't seem as fun. Lately I have done neither due to work and other things taking up too much time.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #27
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
Well mainly some would assume from your slow speed you were very new and would be the one to wreck.
He isn't slow; he just rides his own ride. From what I saw he goes just fine in the corners but the ones that go 100+ in the straights leave him behind a little.

He was following the cruisers, and I was right behind him sweeping. 6 people ran wide, 4 in the ditch, 3 crashed. He saw what was happening, reacted properly, pulled over and rendered help. A true "noob" would have been in the ditch with the rest.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #28
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

There really isn't a need to make assumptions on who went down based on the size of their bike or even their expereince. Anyone can go down at any given time, it can happen to any of us. Best thing to do is be prepared.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #29
spartandude
Custom User Title

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Many have stated opinions on commuting invalidating the mileage yard stick and I can vouch for it being true. I ride the same route every work day and put 97.7 miles on the odometer (google says the route is 101 miles ) each of those days. I have not noticed any improvement in my riding ability in the last six months. I don't ride track, don't have a sport bike, don't ride "spiritedly" and have a top speed of 96 mph.
I bought a bike for commuting and am confident in my temerity (I am soft and squishy compared to anything else). I don't see my commute as a dangerous video game that I am ecstatic to have survived the trip home, but with 50K in two years I may have just gotten numb to the sensation. Ride your ride. I enjoy mine.
Still I will call anyone a noob who just bought their first bike 2 weeks ago and had to have the new GSXR-1000.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofa View Post
Usually people use "years of experience" to judge someone's riding. But as a matter of fact, riding motorcycle isn't like a job. If someone has been welding for 3 years, you know he can weld and can hire him.

But if someone say they've been riding for 6 years, it could very well that they rode about 6000 mi in the 6 years they've had their license and owned the bike... But there VERY WELL could be someone else who got a bike less than a year ago but have been racking up 2-3000mi a month on the bike, half of those on backroads and the track.

No need to argue who's a better rider, the 6-yr vet or the 1-yr noob.

So should we ask "How far have you ridden?" other than "how long you been riding?"

I disagree.

Someone could do 1, 100 mile trackday once a month 8 months out of the year. They'd only put 800 miles on a bike. This person would likely be a much better rider than the person who put 20k miles on their bike going down I-10 in the HOV with their elbow on the tank.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #31
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Engine displacement is definately not a factor!

There are too many variables to use only either milage or seat time. Perhaps the better riders are those that will expand on their skills envelope a bit whenever an opportunity presents itself.

If possible run a track day, commute, ride in the rain, take a long trip or even ride two-up. Nobody can improve without seat time and attitude. Some of my most memorable rides were on my KDX in New Waverly and many dirt bike skills migrate to streetbike skills quite well.

A rider is foolish and stagnant, perhaps doomed if they assume they know everything. After thirty plus years, there's always something for me to learn.

Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #32
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I disagree.

Someone could do 1, 100 mile trackday once a month 8 months out of the year. They'd only put 800 miles on a bike. This person would likely be a much better rider than the person who put 20k miles on their bike going down I-10 in the HOV with their elbow on the tank.
I would disagree with that, there is no dodging debris/dogs/cats/birds/horse sh*t (we ARE in Texas) Drunk drivers, Grandma/Grandpa going to church or the million other distractions when your at the track. You certainly learn a lot at the track and develop a better skill set in some areas but your also focused almost COMPLETELY in one direction. AS has been said more than a few times, seat time makes you a better rider.

After 30 yrs of riding, I wouldn't even guess at the miles but 25K+ in the last 6 years, and 30-40 track days, the only 2 times I've been down were on the track. I know there are better riders than me, I ride with them regularly.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #33
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Agreed. I think about this all the time. Years of experience doesn't mean really, it's more where you been and how far you've gone. I got my first bike in March 08 and have logged almost 45k miles incl. 12 TD's. good times
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #34
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Some have said that miles, regardless of where, makes you better. Others have said it's more a factor of experience, regardless of miles.
The first thing you have to do, IMHO, is to define better rider.

Is it someone that can brake really hard, or wheelie really good, or handle sudden obstacles?
There are so many ways to be a "good rider" that commuting to work every day or only riding on the track can develop skills in different ways. Each person has correct reasons for saying their way makes them better.

I would say it's a person that is well rounded. That has years of experience, that rides track AND street and has ridden many, many miles. Most importantly I would say it's a person that views each ride as an opportunity to learn something new while working on the skills they already have.

Like me.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM   #35
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

ive been riding for 10+ years now and over half of that was on a bike without a speedometer
Old 12-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #36
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
Agreed. I think about this all the time. Years of experience doesn't mean really, it's more where you been and how far you've gone. I got my first bike in March 08 and have logged almost 45k miles incl. 12 TD's. good times
I'll disagree with this too a point... it's like any other 'field'.
Simple 'experience' over time, but some intelligence has to be applied to all this. So you ride 24k a year, someone else rides 12k a year... you've ridden 2 years, they've ridden 7... 48k & 2 years vs 84k & 7 years, if both maintain then you hit a point of comparative 'experience'.

...and if you're 'commuting' around with 'your elbow on your tank' you're not doing something right and not likely to last all that long in the first place.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #37
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #38
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quality > Quanity
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #39
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
Quality > Quanity
what's wrong with quanity? Are you racist?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #40
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Spelling isn't AJ's strong point......

Matter of fact, I'm not sure what is