MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Big Bend - Feb 25th to 28th

468915705 RWKPk L

This a weekend organized by Richard on TWTEX. Titled, "3rd Annual Uncles Around the Bend". Map books / GPS tracks of all pavement sport bike rides and off-road dual sport loops provided at minimal cost. No cost to ride. Last year saw 120 bikes in the desert for 3 days of serious riding. I've never been to the bend, but heard and seen the stories and pics, and I'm in! If you want to get a little taste of Mexico, there will be an over the border excursion, no permits required in this area, but if you go you'll need a passport or passport card to re-enter the US legally.

Richard puts on a good trip. He organized this one I participated in last October, it was a total blast. Despite the fact you see a bunch of older gentlemen in the pics on silly dual sports, the average rider in the group is no slouch, and the younger hard core guys are backing it in, sliding through apexes, and kicking up rocks on corner exits:

http://motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115204

Here is the link to this year's event:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44591

And pics / stories of last year:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36912

One guy sums up the cost of the trip, I think most folks budget $300 - $500 depending on how many trailer out together, how much you drink, and whether you split a hotel room:

Ideally you split gas with one or two others for the ride down. Or a big trailer like we did last year. If you are in a hotel room, plan on around $70 a night. Half that if you share. Camping is far less, about $10 a night. Food depends on where you eat. Plan on $5-6 if you grab breakfast at Kathy's (do it at least once just because it's good). Dinner will be $10-$25 depending on where. Even more if you have alcohol with your meal at the Starlight (nicest and most expensive). Longdraw Pizza is a good deal. Lunch could be premade sandwiches in Rio Grande Village or Taqueria in Presidio. Just depends on which way you head. Or beef jerky and granola bars on the trail.

I tend to haul snack type food and munch as a I go during the day. Then save the big meal for the evening. Breakfast I will eat big if it will be a long day riding just to have something that lasts. Otherwise it is bananas and instant oatmeal or granola bars. Water in the camelback during the day and Shiner's on the Front Porch at night.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stubbs Health Fair Day-Feb 28th Texmex1 Stubbs Cycles "The Original" 0 02-12-2015 11:50 AM
BRAWPing in Big Bend Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-10-2013 03:15 PM
Big Bend Mastertotebag Cruisers Lounge 16 03-30-2012 06:42 AM
Off Road Meet? Feeler for Saturday, Feb. 25th Bluestreak06 Events, Meets and Rides 4 02-22-2012 03:11 PM
Basic Maintenance Class Sat. Feb. 28th! Patrick How To's and Q & A's 57 04-11-2009 03:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

A few teaser pics:

480808474 A2PWy L
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

I dont have a dualsport and miranda would keel me if i stole hers

ill see what i can swing tho
Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Old 12-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkryte View Post

Your TT would be fun. I'll probably have one of my 150's out for Sid to catch some trail riding on.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Your TT would be fun. I'll probably have one of my 150's out for Sid to catch some trail riding on.
hmm... maybe ill get it street legal before then. that would be epic fun

or ill just steal mandas
Old 12-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
hmmm. This looks like fun.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Navajib

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:

I wouldn't keel, but can only ask for a nice "repayment."
I'm off this weekend too! The TTR would be fun, but you have street rims/tires.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #9
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
I wouldn't keel, but can only ask for a nice "repayment."
I'm off this weekend too! The TTR would be fun, but you have street rims/tires.
ummm I vaguely remember u taking a multi-thousand cross country trip on my motorcycle last summer. You owe me bish!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Dayum Im game for this...maybe I will even have my DRZ400SM by then...if not ill just take the 14....I can use my dads 16' trailer which can fit 6 bikes....pm sent

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Just sent in my registration form and booked a hotel at El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Navajib

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:
ummm I vaguely remember u taking a multi-thousand cross country trip on my motorcycle last summer. You owe me bish!!!
Yet I remember we had plans spring break, but you canceled. My trip was no more than to compensate my crappy spring break.
Get you a DRZ foo! Or a Husky.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

I know of a certain owner of a WR that might be willing to lend certain two ladies his bike under certain conditions
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

How about certain men...

TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #15
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Richard's website, I forgot to post it, is http://www.texasadventure.net/

If you want to "tag" along there will be 8-10 trucks and trailers headed out from the houston area, and most folks just ask for gas money split.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Just sent in my registration form and booked a hotel at El Dorado Hotel in Terlingua
Sweet. Get a DRZ400SM like mine and a set of 17" Shinko 705's (mine are on the way) and you'll be ready to rock the bend, both on dirt and street.

0000shinko705seriesdual
Old 12-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Here are a few links to the big bend rides:

http://www.texasadventure.net/AroundtheBend.htm

Big Bend is full of fantastic motorcycling adventures. From one of the best twisty paved roads in Texas (Hwy 170 from Terlingua, TX to Presidio, TX) to the most scenic dual sport road in Texas (Pinto Canyon Road), Big Bend is a motorcycling paradise. It doesn't matter whether you ride a street-only motorcycle, an adventure touring bike, or a true "street legal dirt bike" there are a wealth of riding opportunities for all motorcyclists in the Big Bend area.

Around the Bend: All motorcyclists are invited to join me the last weekend in February for a long weekend of motorcycling riding and adventure. Ride, trailer, or otherwise get you and your bike out to Big Bend on or around Thursday, Feb 25th. Spend Friday and Saturday exploring the Big Bend. Head home on Sunday. If your schedule permits, feel free to show up early or stay late.

What kind of event is this? It's a casual event. No pre-determined course for everyone to ride. No banquets. No set schedule to follow. Just show up, ride, and have a great time. Whether you attend by yourself or bring your friends, there will be others to ride with. Grab some buddies and ride when you want and where you want. Have an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come on out early. Or stay a few days late.

Rider Meeting: Riders are invited to converge each morning at 8 a.m. at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe to meet up, find someone to ride with, and/or select the day's route. Come early if you want breakfast or to enjoy Kathy's campfire (highly recommended).

Evenings: Each evening at 6 p.m. there will be an informal rider gathering on the front porch of the Starlight Theater / Terlingua Trading Company to drink a few beers, grab a meal, and share the adventures of the day.

Hanging Out at Uncle's Place: Uncle's got a nice place in Terlingua. Please feel free to stop by and say hello. The grid coordinates to Uncle's place are 2918'49.32"N 10336'33.39"W.

Sleeping: Need a place to sleep? Grab a room at one of the local motels; there are several to choose from. I suggest the El Dorado hotel in Terlingua as "hotel central". It is a nice place to stay and is centrally located. The last time I checked single rooms were $79 per night and doubles were $89 per night. Their phone number is 432-371-2111.

Want to camp? Free camping is available at Gareth Park (across the street from the El Dorado Hotel). The land is private property but the owner allows us to use the land during this event. It's just raw land, so no hook-ups or anything like that. It does have an outhouse, though. In the past, most campers end up at Gareth Park, which can be good and bad (good = lots of folks to hang out & visit with; bad = might be a little too close to snoring campers; the good probably outweighs the bad). There are also several pay camp sites where you can pitch a tent for a few dollars. See the Big Bend ride guide for a list of all the motels & camping places.

Dirt or Street? Is this a dual sport event or a street bike event? Yes! It is both. Both dual sport and street-only riders attend Around the Bend. It doesn't matter what you ride, there will be places to ride and people to ride
with, so come on out. You won't regret it.

There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed, especially if you are a Texas motorcyclist.

Lots of dual sport riders show up to ride the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to go play in the dirt at Big Bend this is a wonderful opportunity to do so.

What if you don't have a motorcycle? That's okay, come on out anyway. There is lots of cool stuff to do in Big Bend in the middle of the winter and the weather is nice. Go do your own thing during the day and hang out with us in the evening.

Will it be Fun? Absolutely! No question about it! Unless you don't like riding, then you won't have any fun. If you haven't ridden in Big Bend before you simply don't know what you are missing. If you have, then you already know how much fun it is.

T-shirts? Yes, we have t-shirts and they look good. Order one with your registration because only a very few extras will be available for purchase during the event. If you wait till the event, the odds are that you probably won't get one.

Can we ride in Mexico? Absolutely. There is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need to do any paperwork to visit it either; just cross the border and head south, you can't miss it. Bring your passport or passcard though, because you will need it to get back into the United States.

For the dual sport riders, the map shows some good off-road riding in the desert outside Ojinaga. My intent is to go explore some of it this time around and I'm hoping a few dual sport riders will join me. Again, bring your passport or passcard.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:27 AM   #18
transistor281

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2005 Suzuki V Strom DL 650
1995 Concours

I went to the 4th annual big bender for advrider.com in april, it was amazing...
transistor281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #19
Badchev
Slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Sounds like fun!!!
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #20
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by transistor281 View Post
I went to the 4th annual big bender for advrider.com in april, it was amazing...
Sweet. Were you on dirt or street?

Advertisement