Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #61
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat728 View Post
you get your food first at yankees
noob... I phone my order in from PP69..

lately I am tired of the wait at Yankees.. I started going a different route and ending up at the Waller County Line BBQ instead...
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
slow bikes fast...or fast bikes slow...Fun? lucydad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-21-2013 09:04 AM
Riding on wet roads, how fast is too fast? Versatile337 Safety Corner Main 45 02-11-2011 11:32 AM
I need a fast shop...fast! cascott01 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-16-2009 01:32 PM
Hey you!Tough Guy!You may be fast in the forest..... cdill35 General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 08-22-2008 12:13 PM
Forest/3090 Sunday Somebody1010 Events, Meets and Rides 51 03-15-2006 07:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #62
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post

bwahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
????
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #63
MightyMouse4

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha R6
03 zx6r 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Good post.

On our noob rides I always watch our riders in the mirrors while in the corners but on the straights I scan the other side of the road to make sure we wont have any problems coming back. I have been known to pull roadkill from the road
yes you have and beware for those behind him !!! yuk
MightyMouse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #64
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
All this talk of fast on 3090... wheres the darn trophy???
I am sure one day the owners of the surrounding properties will glue an assload of them down on the street

Where's RacerX?

mybanner4a260100b5617

Last edited by SexualChocolate; 12-16-2009 at 11:45 AM.
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #65
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

There used to be a sign about the Daytona 500 on the north end of the Forest... Never did find the flagman, even tho we made 5-6 laps....
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #66
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I think the gnome group hauls . At least the fast group does.
werd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpat728 View Post
cool. i wanna ride with them once i get my 250 running.
Better be a 250 plus a zx14 and an apache helicopter combined to keep up with those dudes, they be fahst.
Quote:
Shut up gnomes!

Remember your beginnings! At least we got you on backroads vs riding freeways downtown.

True, the forest taught me alot. I will say that in my perspective that the pace of the forest gnome rides has gone down considerably now that everybody and their momma is part of the group.

Or maybe I just got used to the pace on private rides

Hooli usually holds up the sweeper of the beginner group, if that tells you anything
Old 12-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #67
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Send a message via AIM to bigpat728
i think your thinking of the private rides
Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #68
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Yup. Forest Gnome rides are made to accomidate groups and "provide an opportunity for people to improve their personal riding experience" not to tear up backroads.

That's best left to small groups of guys that know how to ride together
Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #69
level5
moving chicane

If you are not a hood ornament or under a truck then you are not going fast enough.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #70
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

Fast depends on the rider and the bike. You don't need to worry about fast on those roads. Just go have fun and ride YOUR ride. Don't pushit much on the street. It ain't worth it.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #71
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

When your puckers to the point that you can crack a walnut (or coconut, in Thomas's case), you are ALMOST fast enough!

I have fun out there, but never push it hard, I have found gravel in curves at a theoretical 100 MPH. Playing Ryse Millen on a bike at triple digits isnt fun in my book. I could have crushed a ball bearing into a washer that day!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #72
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

We see this question or something similar to it alot. We also unfortunately see numerous threads throughout the year of even experienced riders going down on 3090, some not fairing so well in the end. Not to discourage you from riding 3090, but it's the truth. Deal with it and learn from others past experiences. So, like some have said before, ride your own ride. Keep your wits about you and you'll be fine. I'd suggest to ride with someone if you are a noob just in case something happens. It's real out there man and it isn't a racetrack.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #73
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Another good post^^^^

All the noobs paying attention? If you come out on these rides and are hesitant on cornering but allowing your ego to push you from behind yes you are likely to end up in a ditch. Be honest with yourself, no one else cares whether you ride in the front or back of the pack. Promote self preservation.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #74
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Yup. Forest Gnome rides are made to accomidate groups and "provide an opportunity for people to improve their personal riding experience" not to tear up backroads.

That's best left to small groups of guys that know how to ride together
Every ride someone run off every other someone wreck?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #75
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I dont really understand why the track isnt promoted more. I'm just being honest. Its like we say, ride your ride, keep your ego in check, preserve yourself, etc etc etc..but noone says, "HEY! If you are going to ride the backroads you should do a few track days."

Yet ride after rider after ride people crash. Multiple people crash. On noob rides no less. I have seen people eat on the first corner on Honea Egypt. And then someone eats on 149. And then 3 more on 3090.

All the preaching in the world wont end the chaos out there. People HAVE to improve their skills.

Keep your ego in check, you say? If our egos were checkable, would we really have bought a sportbike?

People dont intentionally lose control of their bikes. People dont intentionally let their egos get out of check. They have accidents. happens. What is the best way to have less "stuff" happen. Some say slow down. Slow down to what? 20mph? 30mph in a 30mph corner? Thats ridiculous. Why did you buy a sportbike if you want to ride the posted limit in corners?

I say the best way to prevent "stuff" from happening is go to the track, improve your skills and be a better rider. I'm not saying dont ride the street...I am saying use the track to be a better street rider.

There are guys that run 3090 at 160+MPH and dont crash. That should tell people that are crashing, at 40 mph, something.

But we want to preach self control.

And 9 out of 10 times I see some lame excuse as to why they wrecked.

/rant.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #76
69z28lt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I dont really understand why the track isnt promoted more. I'm just being honest. Its like we say, ride your ride, keep your ego in check, preserve yourself, etc etc etc..but noone says, "HEY! If you are going to ride the backroads you should do a few track days."

Yet ride after rider after ride people crash. Multiple people crash. On noob rides no less. I have seen people eat on the first corner on Honea Egypt. And then someone eats on 149. And then 3 more on 3090.

All the preaching in the world wont end the chaos out there. People HAVE to improve their skills.

Keep your ego in check, you say? If our egos were checkable, would we really have bought a sportbike?

People dont intentionally lose control of their bikes. People dont intentionally let their egos get out of check. They have accidents. happens. What is the best way to have less "stuff" happen. Some say slow down. Slow down to what? 20mph? 30mph in a 30mph corner? Thats ridiculous. Why did you buy a sportbike if you want to ride the posted limit in corners?

I say the best way to prevent "stuff" from happening is go to the track, improve your skills and be a better rider. I'm not saying dont ride the street...I am saying use the track to be a better street rider.

There are guys that run 3090 at 160+MPH and dont crash. That should tell people that are crashing, at 40 mph, something.

But we want to preach self control.

And 9 out of 10 times I see some lame excuse as to why they wrecked.

/rant.
Its called being competive. Some people can control it some cant.

Its all about self control IMO no matter how good you are.

Why arnt the guys who can run 160 not running 200? 'Minus the bikes ability but you get my point' They know their limits. Hopfully.

And yes its an EXTREAMLY lame excuse to go down when you cant even control yourself to be able to hold yourself at your own skill level.
Weather its bikes or not...

Some people see somthing being done and think, well they did it, so that means so can I.

Brandt, your a good rider, you seem to never really go past your ride when iv rode with you. 'course im way way way behind you haha' but your telling me you wouldent push yourself to run around a motoGP track and see how you would pace with say Rossi? same concept differnt levels.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #77
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28lt1 View Post

Brandt, your a good rider, you seem to never really go past your ride when iv rode with you. 'course im way way way behind you haha' but your telling me you wouldent push yourself to run around a motoGP track and see how you would pace with say Rossi? same concept differnt levels.
I wouldn't because I dont have the skill set to do it. If I was going to do it, I would train.

Just like track days are training for street riding. If you are riding on the freeways, commuting...I wouldnt be as big an advocate. But we are talking about people riding twisties.

Here's the deal...people that crash, on 3090, at say...less than 60mph, have SERIOUS issues. Issues BIGGER than their egos.

I am not trying to be condencending because I used to almost crash my 954 out there running in the back 1/3 of the "middle" group.

I stopped almost crashing because I did track days. There is no other reason.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #78
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

I would agree entirely about people that crash under 60mph on any of those roads. But those people arent new to riding; many of them claim 2yrs plus experience in their areas/neighborhoods. When it comes to actually riding, that is where they realize they memorized the curves to the stop light outside their subdivision etc and that muscle memory doesnt help them when they are out of their element.

People laugh at us for riding in the cold, rain, ice etc... In my eyes there is experience there to be learned. Granted we take more caution in our speeds and riding characteristics.

Is the track a good tool? Absolutely, 100%. I couldnt agree more. Other then Ridesmart, no other organization tries to pull people so quickly into the track by offering what new riders would need(track rentals etc etc.) That's not practical and even rider's own egos will keep them from the track. Over zealous types would probably jump on it and could even bring that to the street w the wrong attitude by influence on others. But this is where your own ego has to be in check with what you're willing to do on your own bike.

But I can also say that people that have used patience as a guide and started in the back, actually took the time to learn how to handle a bike and work their speed up dont seem to crash on these rides. And some of them are riding w the fast groups.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to be able to call out the bluffs when we start riding. The people that are trying to impress tailgate others, make unnecessary swerving before/after corners, 'warm up' their tires before each corner ( that still gets me), etc and so on.

I dont see the streets as an extension of the track or a route. So I encourage people to ride as they are comfortable. Mathematically there will be mistakes and true accidents as opposed to wrecks. If you dont ride above your ability, you're likely to be safe.

If you dont know your ability, dont try to find it unless you have EMS, instructors and a set course you can push yourself on( oh that sounds like a track )

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 12-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #79
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Track saves lives! It's made me a better rider. No amount of backroad riding will teach you what you or your bike can do. Meaning, know what your limits are.

Track also teaches you advance techniques so that you know what to do when a "situation" occurs.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #80
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bullsh*t track does not help at all.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement