MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
CBRBuron

Feedback Rating: (0)

2001 zx6r or 2002 zx6

I am looking at 2 bikes this weekend to buy. I dont know much about bikes. My friends all have bikes and I really want to start riding, I used to ride dirtbikes and stuff so I always wanted to get in to motorcycles. I am looking at 2 bikes right now,
1 is a 2001 zx6r and the other a 2002 zx6. I dont know much about either of the bikes as in problems they generally have and if the bikes are even worth considering purchasing. They are both around 2 grand, and about 20k on mileage. I am looking for advice and general problems that these 2 bikes have. If anyone has advice or thinks I shouldnt consider these bikes for 1st bikes, I would appreciate the help. Thanks
CBRBuron is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any know if an Penske 05-06 zx6 would fit 09 zx6? cyon How To's and Q & A's 0 06-10-2013 11:51 AM
08 zx6 rims on a 04 zx6 superkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-13-2010 12:55 PM
Zx6-e Morbidphil0622 General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-17-2010 03:47 PM
pics of my zx6 5star-zx6r General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-06-2009 03:19 PM
2000 to 2003 600's and 750's and 2001-2002 1000's!! If you got one post it up!!! Slowkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-20-2008 09:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

best bet it to have someone go with you. Check the little things, like the oil and coolant levels. Make sure the chain is clean and adjusted. Small stuff like that can tell you alot about the owner, and his maint. habits. Its not a failsafe plan, but its a start. Ask lots of questions too. What was the milage of the last oil change, valve check/ adjustment, carb sync...ect. Take a flashlight and look for oil leaks and broken/bent stuff under the fairings too.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
VenaSera
I pwn!

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Member Garage

Like just about any bike, if it was well maintained (and you do the same) it will last for years. I have a friend with an 02 that has almost 50k miles on it and it still runs strong.

Those bikes are carbureted though. Not a bad thing, just not as fancy as a newer one. If it's in good condition without problems and your first bike, I don't think you'd be disappointed. But keep in mind that it is still technically a super sport bike. Just because its older and carbureted doesn't mean its not powerful and can't get you into trouble quickly.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
CBRBuron

YEA I am bringing 2 friends and looking for things to look for. Are these good bikes to start with
Old 12-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
VenaSera
I pwn!

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBuron View Post
YEA I am bringing 2 friends and looking for things to look for. Are these good bikes to start with
I wouldn't say its a bad bike to start off with at all. But like I said, it'll still have quite a bit of power which all newbie riders need to watch out for.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

agreed....great bike, but still very powerful.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
CBRBuron

Thanks, I want something I can learn on and kinda beat on and will keep going. Are these good starters even if they are a little powerful
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
If you've actually been riding dirt for a while and you keep a level head I think you'll be fine. There are technically 'smarter' choices, but I think an older 6R/ZZR is fine.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

They are great bikes. They dont have any common issued and love to be abused. Its the same bike from 98-02 but they changed the body a little in '00. But its still the same today as the ZZR600.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #10
CBRBuron

Yea i used to ride dirt, and mini bikes and on harleys, but never drove the harleys, thanks for the help guys, Ima go check the bikes sat and sun, so hopefully I will b driving this weekend , thanks
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

This might help:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Buying a used bike can be a stressful endeavor.
Questions abound; was the bike wrecked? Does it have any mechanical issues? Has the normal maintenance been kept up with?

This short guide can help unravel some of these questions as well as help give you some things to look for.
First, do your homework.
Determine what bike / bikes you’re interested in.
Check on line reviews or ask helpful dealers what they think of certain models.
Let the dealer know you’ll also consider him when it come time to buy, or for parts and service afterwards.
Check out www.nada.com and see what the bikes value is.
Also get a copy of your local Cycle trader, etc. and see what the market value is.
Depending on the bike, market value and NADA value can be significantly different.

Most motorcycle dealers do not allow test rides, and many private owners are very hesitant to allow test rides by individuals.
Inquire if the dealer you’re talking with will do a cursory general inspection and test drive for you. Many will do so for a nominal fee.

At Motorcycles Unlimited we’ll do a free visual inspection and test drive for no charge.

If an owner is unwilling to bring a bike to have it looked at, or you can’t find someone to look at it for you, here are some things to check out:
Look at the overall cosmetic condition of the bike. Is it weathered looking or does it have rusted components?
Does the bodywork fit well, not have any cracks or road rash?
Are the fasteners all present and are not mismatched. Any of these things can mean the bike has been down and repaired.

Also look for scratches at points that might have not been replaced from a crash; scratch marks on levers, bar ends, brake pedal / shift lever, engine covers, axles and swingarm.
Sure, some marks may be from a drop in the driveway, but there’s a big difference from marks left from a not at speed drop and a low side crash.

Check out the tires. Are they worn or close to the wear indicators? Are the tires dry rotted / dry cracked?

How are the brake pads? Anything less than 2 credit cards thickness of the pad will need service soon.

Is the brake fluid dark or yellow / clear looking?
Dark brake fluid will need to be flushed and bled soon.

Are the chain and sprockets worn? Look for kinks in the chain or rust.
Check out the rear sprocket, are the teeth nice and wide, or are they very sharp and pointed?

How does the oil look? Is it clean and filled to the proper level or dark and low or even over filled.

Look at the forks and shock / shocks for signs of leaking or rust / pitting.

Has the owner kept up with the regularly scheduled maintenance on the bike? Does he have receipts?

If everything looks good, now you’re ready to start the bike.
First, is the bike warm or cold?
A bike already at operating temp could mean difficulty starting when cold.
Listen to how the bike starts; does it turn over easily and fire right off.
Does any smoke come from the exhaust?
If it’s a cold start, it’ll take a minute or three to warm up and settle into an even idle.
The bike should then take gas and free rev easily.

If you can test drive the bike, make sure it’ll go into all of the gears and they don’t pop out of gear. Transmission repairs on most motorcycles require engine removal and are expensive.

See if you can feel the clutch slipping. Typically I’ll put the bike in 5th or 6th gear at around of the max rpm and then crack the throttle wide open. The bike should slowly move out, but the rpms should build gradually and not climb wildly.

Does the bike pull one way or the other? It could simply be as simple as a misaligned chain or something more serious.

If everything checks out, you can begin the negotiation process.
One caveat; make sure the seller either has a clear / clean title, or that the lien holder will release the title to either you or your bank once it’s paid off.

If you’re in doubt about anything, have a professional inspect it or check the title status.

Good luck, and ride well!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRBuron View Post
Yea i used to ride dirt, and mini bikes and on harleys, but never drove the harleys, thanks for the help guys, Ima go check the bikes sat and sun, so hopefully I will b driving this weekend , thanks
so how long ago was this riding?

Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #13
CBRBuron

not yet, I am signing up to take at lonestar college cost is 195....is there somewhere else that does it, lonestar is close to my house, 290 little york
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
CBRBuron

i assume all are around the same price though ......
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #15
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The schools are all similarly priced, but not all give as good as a class IMO.
Check out Awesome Cycles here, they're a forum sponsor, and I think Ed / RacerX may still teach as well.

As far as the bike the '00 - 02 ZX6R's were good bikes with no real issues.
Is the '02 you're looking at a ZX6E?

You're welcome to have the owners bring the bikes by and we'll do a free visual inspection and test drive for you before you buy.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

the 01 zx6r is a ver capable and quick bike and can last you a while if you keep up with maintenance, definetly more fun the then the zx6, the r has better suspension and a more race bred motor.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM   #17
CBRBuron

Thanks guys, everyone has been very helpful, Im going to check the bike tomorrow, Ill let you all know what happens. Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #18
CBRBuron

so I went to see the zx6r, it was junk. The wiring for the headlights was rigged. All fairings were cracked and looked like they were tarred together and ziptied together. The clutch was loose and everytime I shifted the nuetral light came on. I cant explain how bad it looked. Then engine seemed fine but the tranny and clutch were off. Needless to say I did not purchase it. Also the title was not in his name and the radiator cap was missing but it had aluminum with a clamp to hold it on. hahahaha

I am going to look at the zx6 and a 2000 cbr600 tomorrow and what ever else I can find
Old 12-14-2009, 01:10 AM   #19
CBRBuron

CLOSE THREAD PLEASE

Advertisement