MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
krenek919
krenek919

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 Honda 919- SOLD
00 Buell X1
86 Sportster- leaking
09 1125 CR

yep, the old ones do break down alot. Iv had my 86' sportster for 9 years and do have to work on it all the time, but my 2k buell, just had the first problem a moth ago, the ignition switch craped out... replaced it, and off we go again!
krenek919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #22
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Is it because the owner spend so much money to keep it running? If I put $10K to build the motor because the original crapped out, I would try to sell it to the buyer.

Just kidding. They shake horribly, and most people would buy them to pose.
Someone else who doesn't know...

You can pop a new motor in em for a lot less than 10K btw.

As far as the vibration, that is there intentionally. HD has tried to take it out repeatedly (they DO know how), and the customers just dont like it.

As far as the vibration, unless its a Softail, they vibrate at idle, and then become smooth as silk at anything over 1100 RPM. (Idle is 1050). Softail's are actually set up the reverse- they are smooth at idle, and vibrate more the faster you go. Messed up, but it is apparently what the buyers want.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Maybe when you are stranded on the road, you will be just another HD.

BTW, what is the recommended service for a tune up?
Yeah - cause metrics are somehow made out of fairy dust and unobtainium and never break down...

Its a machine - they ALL break - no, i don't give two WHO made it. If you don't take care of it, it WILL fail you. Period.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
krenek919
krenek919

Bike(s):
03 Honda 919- SOLD
00 Buell X1
86 Sportster- leaking
09 1125 CR

I love going riding with my buddies on my buell, and taking off and leaving them till they reach about 6k rpm, when they start to make power, then they finaly catch up.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #25
cobrakiller02

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
To many to list

All my sport bikes given me more probs then the harleys. my grandmas kawi caught on fire and burnt to the ground when I borrowed it one time lol...that was a interesting phone call to grandma lol. Point is everything breaks. If somebody has a bike or car that never fails well point me in that direction so I can buy one

Last edited by cobrakiller02; 12-10-2009 at 10:59 PM.
cobrakiller02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #26
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiller02 View Post
All my sport bikes given me more probs then the harleys. my grandmas kawi caught on fire and burnt to the ground when I borrowed it one time lol...that was a interesting phone call to grandma lol. Point is everything breaks. If somebody has a bike or car that never fails well point me in that direction so I can buy one
Ask ElTejano and Level5 - apparently whatever they own is immune to any kind of mechanical breakdown...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #27
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenek919 View Post
I love going riding with my buddies on my buell, and taking off and leaving them till they reach about 6k rpm, when they start to make power, then they finaly catch up.
Hehehe I get a kick out of leaving sport bikes behind at a stop light or through stop and go traffic - I know they can eat me for lunch if they get a few hundred feet of empty road, but they just dont have the low speed grunt...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #28
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

haha, bet youd be pretty surprised if you ever tried that against anything bigger than a 750...

but yeah, 60k or so on my suzuki with no real issues...
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 AM   #29
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae View Post
haha, bet youd be pretty surprised if you ever tried that against anything bigger than a 750...

but yeah, 60k or so on my suzuki with no real issues...
Oh I know the litre bikes and bigger will stomp my . The fun part though is the look on the faces of noobs on their 600's who dont QUITE yet understand the concept of torque v. HP.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #30
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

Last edited by houstonch73; 12-11-2009 at 12:23 AM.
houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #31
houstonch73
Banned

User is banned

Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 AM   #32
krenek919
krenek919

Bike(s):
03 Honda 919- SOLD
00 Buell X1
86 Sportster- leaking
09 1125 CR

sorry, but ive had alot of jack daniels tonight and this sh#% is funny! I like all motorcycles... even if you ride a freakin moped! Its cool with me.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #33
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

HA! I love posting up that gets the Harley guys all hurt.

I have 3 CBRs . One was outside in a back yard for over 4 yrs in the coast. Tank full of water and rust. Popped a new one in and fired up 1st time. My bikes have never not started on the 1st try.

Loaned my f4i to a friend whose Fat Bob broke down after like 3 grand. Bike was in the shop 3 weeks. Another buddy, Fat Bob been in shop 3 times and he has had it 2 yrs. Another friends with a Night Train. He had a few metric cruisers after giving up on the HDs. But he HAD to get a Harley cause he is now in a well known TX motorcycle "club". Its been in the garage too.

So I guess I dont know cause I never owned one.. haha, OK. Look, I am sure HDs are better than they used to be, but of all the HD and bike friends, the HD guys seem to be the ones with more troubles.

I have a 64 nova and have always had hot rods. I only need ONE head ache to deal with. The cars give me enough grief, I dont need it from my bikes.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #34
houstonch73
Banned

User is banned

Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #35
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Ask ElTejano and Level5 - apparently whatever they own is immune to any kind of mechanical breakdown...
APPARENTLY . At least sure friggin seems that way so far. I have done 1000 and 1500 mile rides time after time, and track day after track day of abusive riding on my RR. NOT ONE and I mean NOT ONE problem. NOTHING. Oh, I take that back, I had a blown fork seal. While no bike is immune to mechanical problem, my bikes have never had any.

HDs are not the hunks of useless broken down they once were, but they are not the most dependable bike on the road either. I know too many people that own them that have had problems. I like to know that my bike is going to start every time I go ride it.

I dont hate HDs. Its just that if I am going to invest thousands on a bike, I want to know that that bike is going to give me years and tens of thousands of miles or problem free riding.

Quote:
Not getting hurt by anything. Just trying to dispel some myths about HDs. any bike on the market nowadays that's ridden on a regular basis, maintained properly shouldn't have any problems. Most of the problems I see on (any brand of) bikes are due to the owner adding on aftermarket items and "tuning". Overloaded electrical systems and changing the mixture on a bike via bolt ons without redoing the carb/efi will wreak havoc on a bike.

(Reminds me of the honda civics I see rolling around with the fart cans blowing black smoke b/c the owner thought they could "tune" the engine in their apartment parking lot better than the engineer who designed it.)
I know that a lot of problems are cause by idiot owners that learned their mechanical skills form internet discussion forums. But I am not convinced with HD yet, not for myself to dish out the cash at least. MY personal choice. I like the way they look and they look comfy. If I KNEW that one would last me like my Hondas, I would get one for my long lazy rides.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #36
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
I'm gonna need clarification on your point. You've got 60k on your bike w/ no real issues. ok..... I wouldn't expect a HD to have issues either at that point.
haha, there wasn't really a point there. i actually just bought another bike, almost 30 years old, more than 60k miles, not an hd either.

wait, come to think of it, i think i've seen about as many harleys w/ more than 30k on the odometer as sport bikes.

not saying they can't, just saying i haven't seen them.

there is also a huge difference in the way sport bike engines and harley engines are designed. just look at the hp/cu.in. big deal that a 140 c.i. harley can make 140 hp, how many c.i. is that 1000cc sport bike that's making 150 hp stock? that alone puts much more stress on the engine components, never mind the fact that just about any inline-4 in existence will rev to twice what just about any harley will safely do.

so, more parts, smaller parts, operating at much higher power/displacement ratios, with greatly accelerated wear from rpms alone, i would really hope that the hd would last longer than a sport bike.

btw, my bandit likes to mark it's spot with oil too
Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #37
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

2190830860057585097S600x600Q85
Old 12-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #38
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I have owned numerous HD's and numerous Sportbikes. It all boils down to what you like. If you dont like the HD line then who really gives a . Opinions are like , everone has one. I have put many miles on my HD and never had any issues with ANY and i mean ANY of them. Yeah i might baby them and keep the mint clean but its what i like to do. Same as my sport bikes as well. So to me, I like my HD and i like my SB.

Thanks Morvegil for the post man. Mine is not on the list.

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #39
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
APPARENTLY . At least sure friggin seems that way so far. I have done 1000 and 1500 mile rides time after time, and track day after track day of abusive riding on my RR. NOT ONE and I mean NOT ONE problem. NOTHING. Oh, I take that back, I had a blown fork seal. While no bike is immune to mechanical problem, my bikes have never had any.

HDs are not the hunks of useless broken down they once were, but they are not the most dependable bike on the road either. I know too many people that own them that have had problems. I like to know that my bike is going to start every time I go ride it.

I dont hate HDs. Its just that if I am going to invest thousands on a bike, I want to know that that bike is going to give me years and tens of thousands of miles or problem free riding.

I know that a lot of problems are cause by idiot owners that learned their mechanical skills form internet discussion forums. But I am not convinced with HD yet, not for myself to dish out the cash at least. MY personal choice. I like the way they look and they look comfy. If I KNEW that one would last me like my Hondas, I would get one for my long lazy rides.
Thousands of trouble-free miles on mine as well as the ones many of my friends own.

As far as lasting as long as a Honda - yep, they sure will. The V-Rod is near bullet proof, and truth be told, so are any of the Twin-Cam motors (88"-110") tough to kill a Sportster too.

Seriously man - unless the internals of the motor are messed with, they're as reliable as anything else.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #40
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Thousands of trouble-free miles on mine as well as the ones many of my friends own.

As far as lasting as long as a Honda - yep, they sure will. The V-Rod is near bullet proof, and truth be told, so are any of the Twin-Cam motors (88"-110") tough to kill a Sportster too.

Seriously man - unless the internals of the motor are messed with, they're as reliable as anything else.
but a vrod is kindof a porsche motor design isn't it?

Advertisement