MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #41
Sauce

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'06 Virago 250

I was assuming that they were saying 50 to further shorten 250. . .

Maybe I'm wrong in that assumption.
Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lending a Bike? JusAnotherTran General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 10-26-2010 04:11 PM
Southern Lending Corpoartion Captain How To's and Q & A's 2 07-19-2008 07:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #42
zombiejesus
braaaaiiiiinssss

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post

A 50 is a little kid's dirt bike, people like to learn wheelies and other stunts on them before stunting their big, more costly bikes.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM   #43
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post

Or maybe she was saying 250 to further shorten 1250?

LOL... I'm joking. Yeah the 250 is a regular size bike with a small engine. Very light and agile. The 50's are kinda like kids bikes.

Below is a 250cc cruiser and a 50cc bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	08vstar250.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	30209   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_crf50f.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	30210  
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #44
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
Borrow a little dirt bike and a guide and go ride some offroad. Nothing too tough, just rolling hills, trails, ups and downs. You'll develop skills 20x as fast as on a street bike where you basically just sit and wait for something to happen. And the risk of getting killed is next to zero on a small four stroke dirt bike.

And don't think the skills don't transfer. My 13 year old son can jump on my CBR1000RR and ride it up and down the street like no big whoop, even though his biggest bike is a 150. He just has muscle memory for shifting, braking, turning, looking, evaluating, clutching....basically most aspects of bike control.
+1

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 PM   #45
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
indeed they are...but goodness, they really wont prepare someone for a big bike. I feel they can bring other bonuses after u have the foundation, but they cant fill the shoes of foundation by anymeans....still in need of better enlightenment here!
A 50 can teach a lot and let your learn from your mistakes without killing you. You learn and get used to the feeling of being leaned over to the side, you can get more familiar with counter-steering and what happens if you do too much. Learn to look through the turns, learn what happens if you apply too much front brake while turning if you panic, learn trail breaking, learn what it feels like just before you lowside or highside, learn how to handle gravel and the difference in handling on wet pavement, learn differnt pavement characteristics... I'm sure there is more but I know all of this can be seen or practiced on a 50. I'm tired of typing on my Iphone so that's all I've got for now
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #46
Amanda
Bulletproof

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
A 50 can teach a lot and let your learn from your mistakes without killing you. You learn and get used to the feeling of being leaned over to the side, you can get more familiar with counter-steering and what happens if you do too much. Learn to look through the turns, learn what happens if you apply too much front brake while turning if you panic, learn trail breaking, learn what it feels like just before you lowside or highside, learn how to handle gravel and the difference in handling on wet pavement, learn differnt pavement characteristics... I'm sure there is more but I know all of this can be seen or practiced on a 50. I'm tired of typing on my Iphone so that's all I've got for now
sounds nice but i still disagree...

ill agree, it cant kill u and maybe it can help some with counter-steering (which doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out anyway)- but u dont really 'lean over', i dont think a 50 really helps form the habit to look through turns. etc....

but hey, why not ride a 50, a dirt bike, and a 250. Why not ride whatever she can get her hands on? I still dont think a 50 can form a solid foundation by anymeans.... but , none of the above can hurt to play/practice any either...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #47
AndreaJ200
New Rider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 Yamaha FZ6

Okay....so this weekend....Saturday afternoon or anytime on Sunday....just tell me when and where...PM me...I'll practice on anything right now 250 and below, I just want to get comfortable on a bike period.

oh yeah, I just found a way to get to a big parking lot riding only through my subdivision so this may solve my transport problem b/c I'm pretty sure I can get the bike there without having to encounter any major obstacles or cars on any real streets....
AndreaJ200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #48
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
sounds nice but i still disagree...

ill agree, it cant kill u and maybe it can help some with counter-steering (which doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out anyway)- but u dont really 'lean over', i dont think a 50 really helps form the habit to look through turns. etc....

but hey, why not ride a 50, a dirt bike, and a 250. Why not ride whatever she can get her hands on? I still dont think a 50 can form a solid foundation by anymeans.... but , none of the above can hurt to play/practice any either...
You obviously didn't ride the outta your 50...
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement