Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 AM   #1
darestie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Convince me to get a cruiser

darestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOW OLD WERE YOU WHEN YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CRUISER ? KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 69 03-15-2011 11:29 AM
cruiser down!!! m109runner General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 04-07-2010 09:18 PM
Sorry it's a cruiser 1fastchevy General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-05-2008 09:37 AM
When I can get a cruiser AWD Cruisers Lounge 71 05-23-2007 03:17 PM
I found another reason to further convince me its good we are in iraq. scrapp The Circus 34 12-11-2006 04:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #2
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

That is a very nice bike man. It looks pretty clean and well taken care of. Obviously you've ridden both cruiser and sportbike. Is there a reason you prefer the cruiser? I have both and I love them both. But if i had to go back and only be able to afford one (or had to sell one now), I would defenitely keep the sportbike.

Just my opinion from someone that owns both. My M50 has no where near the power that this VTX does, but I'm really refering more to the handling aspect.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
darestie

Well, I feel like I will be always tempted to speed on a sportbike. I like the comfort and stability of cruisers. But your right, sportbikes are more practical for every day life.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

yeah, that is like a constant everyday struggle to keep it below 80mph on my Gixxer. If the stability and smoothness of a cruiser is what you like, then go for it. I know your thread wasn't to choose between sports or cruiser, just thought I'd throw that opinion out there. What other bikes had you considered and what was your price range?

18k mi isn't bad at all for an '05. How's the condition of the chrome and hardware? That'll tell you if it was just well taken care of or truly "babied".
Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #5
darestie

The other bike i was looking at was a SV650s, so i am still kinda sruck between a sportbike and a cruiser. My price range is around 4,000. They"re asking $3999, but It's at a dealership. I asked one of the workers after seeing it. He said Thery're trying to move it by the end of the year, and if I offer 3000 they will probably take it or at least drop the price a bit.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Helios
Back again again...

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by darestie View Post
The other bike i was looking at was a SV650s, so i am still kinda sruck between a sportbike and a cruiser. My price range is around 4,000. They"re asking $3999, but It's at a dealership. I asked one of the workers after seeing it. He said Thery're trying to move it by the end of the year, and if I offer 3000 they will probably take it or at least drop the price a bit.
Do it then, give them a legit offer ($3K is prob too low, IMO) and ride it home. They've got 3 weeks before the end of the year. Good time to haggle them down. This isn't a big "cruiser" forum, but there should be some other's chiming in with their opinions here shortly in the morning. Either way, nice bike, good price!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #7
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

It really is a toss up. To me i have a cruiser and a sportbike as well. What do you like better? What do you like riding more? Are more comfortable on the cruiser after a couple hours of riding? I like both. I like to ride my cruiser as much as i like to ride my ninja. jus my .2

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
8abusa
Rollin on the cruiser now

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
zx14-Sold
Ride Smart Warrior-Sold
ZX6R-Sold
Yamaha VMAX

Get a yamaha warrior. I had one and loved it. It is fast, powerful and comfortable.
8abusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #9
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

Just think of rocking the HOV lane while traffic is gridlock. mmmmmyeah.

I had an M50 until last week, that thing kicked I would recommend it to anyone but I dont know much about other cruisers. It had 18k when i sold it and was running like I still had just bought it. I'm losing my marbles right now not having a bike to ride..
Old 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
m109runner
lighting guru

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Send a message via Yahoo to m109runner
I owned an 05 VTX before the m109 and loved it. Extreemly reliable and comfy. If you plan on doing long trips. Has plenty of power to get out of its own way even riding 2 up. I had 17000 miles on mine when I traded it and never had a single problem with it.

From the photo...I'm a little confused on that bike....engine covers are missing and the back fender doesn't look like its suppose to. Maybe its just the angle of the photo.

$3999 is a bad azz deal for that bike...sister just bought one for 6500.

The VTX has more aftermarket parts than just about any other metric bike out there so making it "yours" is left completely up to your imagination and wallet!

I've had the chance to ride a SV650 and the riding position wasn't for me....but I'm a big guy.

GL on picking up your new addiction!......whichever one that might be!

lighting the world one bike at a time!!!
m109runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

the only kind of bike you should ride is the kind you want to ride. Nobody can really help with that decision.
Cruisers are easy to ride. Most are pretty comfortable for modest length trips. They don't lend themselves well to haulin' , but offer a relaxed ride.
Sportbikes are just the opposite.
Maybe you should consider something with broader application, like a naked. FZ1, FZ6, ZRX1200 or something like that. They are sporty without the extreme position and comfortable for reasonable distances.

Now stop analyzing and go buy a bike!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

i agree with bumblebee here as far as what type of bike to ride. I love my sport bike and as of right now will not change to a cruiser. I have ridden them and do enjoy them and hope to get one in the future for some cross country rides but for right now i enjoy my sports bike 2 much.

IMO the first thing you need to look at is why did you not keep the bikes you were riding for longer than a few months. One was a project bike, ok the other was a friends 600 buy why did u stop riding it???

If your only gonna keep this buy for a few months i would say dont bother unless you have the money to just throw away, but if your gonna keep it for a few years then get what ever makes you happy the most. understand you can do twisties on a cruiser (i have seen it) but no your can lean them as much unless you wanna scrape chrome.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
darestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent636 View Post

IMO the first thing you need to look at is why did you not keep the bikes you were riding for longer than a few months. One was a project bike, ok the other was a friends 600 buy why did u stop riding it???

If your only gonna keep this buy for a few months i would say dont bother unless you have the money to just throw away, but if your gonna keep it for a few years then get what ever makes you happy the most. understand you can do twisties on a cruiser (i have seen it) but no your can lean them as much unless you wanna scrape chrome.

Well, never really stopped riding it. It was an extra bike because he was storing it for a friend who was out of the country for the summer. I was given permission to ride it whenever I wanted. At the end of summer the guy came back and took the bike with him.

I guess the problem is I haven't really spent much time on a cruiser. I was thinking about renting a sportster 1200 for a day, maybe ride to Galveston, just to get a better feel. I will probably go test ride the VTX next week. I will see how comfortable I am with it, if theres any doubt I will probably wait on an SV650.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
darestie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m109runner View Post

From the photo...I'm a little confused on that bike....engine covers are missing and the back fender doesn't look like its suppose to. Maybe its just the angle of the photo.

$3999 is a bad azz deal for that bike...sister just bought one for 6500.
I could tell the bike has had a few add-ons. The rear shocks are progressives, the pipes are bub jug's, and the air filters are not oem.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darestie View Post
I could tell the bike has had a few add-ons. The rear shocks are progressives, the pipes are bub jug's, and the air filters are not oem.
Yeah...noticed those along with the grips, levers and mirrors

Again...nice bike for the price!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
m109runner
lighting guru

Bike(s):
2007 suzuki m109r ltd

Still have the question as to where the engine covers are?.....looks odd with out them

Old 12-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

What I'm getting is you like a bit of both worlds. I'd say get the cruiser, or go with a standard motorcycle. Honestly you want cruiser comfortable but then the ability to hit the twisties? Triumph Bonneville, tons of aftermarket to make it as racy or relaxed as you want. Good inbetween and good linear power delivery.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

just my personal preference, but my bandit is more comfortable than my cruiser, even on long highway stretches. i wouldn't feel comfortable hauling the amount of stuff i took on my florida trip, or on a long two-up ride though.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #19
bbblitzz

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
M109R
ZX-10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
That is a very nice bike man. It looks pretty clean and well taken care of. Obviously you've ridden both cruiser and sportbike. Is there a reason you prefer the cruiser? I have both and I love them both. But if i had to go back and only be able to afford one (or had to sell one now), I would defenitely keep the sportbike.

Just my opinion from someone that owns both. My M50 has no where near the power that this VTX does, but I'm really refering more to the handling aspect.
Helios is a monkey on his sport bike...and he can ride with the best of them.

I have an Suzuki M109R and I love her....

I had an ZX-10 several years ago and started riding again about a year ago. I have enjoyed every minute of my rides with the cruiser and would not trade this bike for a sport bike.

That being said, I am now in the process of finding a sport bike to ride as my second bike. As Helios has said...for handeling, a sport bike is it. Although if you are planing long rides then the cruiser is the bike you will want to ride.

That is why I am going to have two bikes, I like being comfortable on those long rides and not have my legs and cramps.

That my 2 cents...

bbblitzz
bbblitzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #20
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST