Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
allthrottle

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
'98 CBR600 F3 - Stolen

Starting issues, need advice.

I'm having trouble getting my '98 Cbr600 F3 to start. The problem started showing about two weeks ago, first thing in the morning. I'd start it(fired easily), let it warm up for a minute or two, then head off. Half a block down it would start sputtering and get worse as I gave it throttle, so I'd pull over, it would die, start back up after a minute and seem fine.

3 days ago it got me two blocks down but didn't seem 100% healthy. Stopped at a light, take off and it acts like it's running out of fuel. I pull it into a Bank of America parking lot where it dies. I wait a minute, try to fire it up but the battery quickly dies after 2-3 seconds of cranking. Work's only a block down and I can follow the parking lot and alleyway to get to it, so I push it there where I know it won't get towed and will be on camera. Girlfriend comes to get me when I get off, hook up the jumper cables and it fires up fine. Runs 5-10 seconds, dies, and has been that way since.

I know the battery's gone and needs replaced, but shouldn't it still start when jumped? Cranks fast and sounds healthy, just won't fire. It'll occasionally sound like a cylinder or two lit up, but that's it. I pulled the plugs last night hoping some of the gas in the cylinders would evaporate(seems pretty flooded), and cleaned/re-gapped the plugs, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions/ideas would be great. I don't want to start throwing parts/money at it blindly, and most of my cash the next check is going to Christmas presents, so having it towed to a shop is out of the question right now.

Thanks
allthrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
r6 starting issues mekrew How To's and Q & A's 14 02-14-2015 08:59 AM
ZX7 starting issues/woes... dbuck How To's and Q & A's 11 12-02-2013 08:52 PM
Carb Starting issues cuong-nutz How To's and Q & A's 16 01-23-2013 09:12 PM
Gsxr- Starting issues! 02gixxer750 General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 12-17-2009 05:46 PM
Starting issues misery How To's and Q & A's 7 07-21-2007 11:27 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

First off if the battery is gone you'll need to address that.
Afterwards make sure the fuel pump is working.
Let us know what you find and I can advise from there.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
miguel!!
dont forget the streets

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
f thrill

Member Garage

clean the carbs,the cold weather probably killed your battery,i had the same exact problem with mine,and it turned out to be too much gas in my oil
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
^^^what Patrick said.

If the bike is on jumpercables the battery is bypassed. You need to determine if its a charging problem or a fuel issue. A dead battery would only effect the bike if its off and wont restart. The charging system should be able to sustain the bike while riding.

If it cranks immediately after it dies(fast) the battery should be ok since it is able to sustain a charge. If it doesnt but will crank after the battery sits, the battery is pulling the electrical load of the bike instead of the charging system and when it rests, the acid is resettling/the battery increases in charge before it is drained again from lack of charge.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
allthrottle

Bike(s):
'98 CBR600 F3 - Stolen

Picked up a new(er) battery from Civicious a couple hours ago, didn't help. Unplugged the fuel line going from the pump to the engine and left it open while I cranked. Didn't see any fuel spit out and couldn't hear or feel the pump try to do anything. Removed the pump and ran a couple of 14ga wires to it with an inline fuse straight to battery, got nothing.

Did a little bit of searching for any other ways to test the pump/relays and came across a few posts about bypassing the pump and running a hose straight from the carb fuel feed T to the tank. Tried that, and it runs! Ran it around the apartments a bit and it seemed ok at low rpm. Should I even attempt to ride it around like this? It felt ok, but at what point will the gravity feed stop doing the job?
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

You should really replace the pump. Check with Sams Cycle Salvage and see if they have one. His son is Romeo36 and he posts here.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #7
allthrottle

Bike(s):
'98 CBR600 F3 - Stolen

I'll just leave it parked then. It won't hurt me to walk the 3 blocks to work until payday. I need to get it over to your place anyway and have someone look it over. I should've done that before I picked it up, I've been coming across a bunch of weird/rigged stuff the last few days.

Is this the same place as Sams Cycle Salvage? http://sams-cycles.com/

And thanks for the help. I'll update when I get a working pump for it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

That's the place, ask for Sam or Chris, tell them I sent you.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090

Advertisement