MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
EverLucky1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Unhappy Need Help: Starting Problem

So...

I went home for a week for Thanksgiving and left my bike outside (not smart - I know....now). When I came back my SV wouldn't start so I figured it was the battery and took it to an AutoZone where they checked it and pronounced it dead. I bought a new battery, charged it, and installed it on my bike. It still won't start. I tried for about 15 minutes with no luck. When I turn the key to the 'ON" position, the speedometer, tach, and all the other lights come on, but the engine just won't start. Whenever I press the starter, I hear the 'starter sound' but the engine doesn't come on. I think I might have even drained the new battery trying to start it because when I was done trying the charge was low and I went to charge it back up again.

I haven't had the chance to ride it for a while so it's been sitting there over two weeks now. It doesn't have a cover and it was rained on a few times but overall the weather hasn't been bad - it hasn't been snowed on or anything like that thank goodness. Can any of you guys help me out and tell me what I can do? Should I just call it and bring it to a shop somehow?

I admit I'm a noob and I hope there isn't something obvious I'm missing but I wouldn't dismiss it. I remember from my MSF course that if this was a carb bike I would try using the choke. However, since the SV is FI, I don't think I have that option... is that right? Is there a choke somewhere I'm missing?
EverLucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R6 starting problem JP15 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-23-2013 09:04 PM
cranking/starting problem ON1WHEEL How To's and Q & A's 12 01-01-2009 05:38 AM
problem starting my 50 ddtk3 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 32 10-09-2007 11:18 PM
starting problem ivtecnician How To's and Q & A's 12 09-29-2006 11:52 AM
Starting Problem ZeroG How To's and Q & A's 30 05-14-2006 04:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
TeleRomeo
Wide Freaking Open!

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 ZX-6R Track
Cr125 Braaap

Make sure the kill switch is not activated. If not, Try releasing the clutch slowly when attempting to start and see what happens... I heard of the clutch switch going bad on the suzuki's. I know cause I have one. I had to jump the switch with a paperclip to get it started until the $10.00 switch came in at the dealer.
TeleRomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
New Era
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Once you figure it out PM me and I will sell you a Nelson Riggs cover pretty cheap
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

plus 1 on the clutch switch. Those bikes should start very easily and shouldnt matter if it got rained on. Theres a little switch on the bottom side of the clutch that can be pressed in and out, try moving it with a flat head and trying to start it with it in different positions. I dont think the starter would engage though if the switch wasnt activated. does it just turn over and over? If it does turn over then check gas and spark next.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
EverLucky1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

TeleRomeo & TomballD: Thanks. I'll try give the switch a shot.

TomballD: Yeah, it just turnover and over and I heard the gas swooshing in the tank when I move it side to side so I don't think it's thank. I guess I'll give the spark plug a shot if the switch doesn't work.
EverLucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement