Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #1
Jeff

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX650F

Houston to Big Bend

I am thinking about taking a trip in December to Big Bend. I have never been there and was wondering if someone knew a good route that wasn't I-10 all the whole way. Couple of days to get there, couple days there, couple days to get home. I would like to see Marfa as well while I'm there. I would appreciate any advice you might have.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRAWPing in Big Bend Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-10-2013 03:15 PM
Big Bend Mastertotebag Cruisers Lounge 16 03-30-2012 06:42 AM
Supermotos in Big Bend Mr.P General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 12-06-2011 03:53 PM
Big Bend Trip - photos FJRmgm General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 04-06-2011 04:51 PM
Houston to Big Bend and Back transistor281 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 12-05-2009 12:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

as much as this sounds like fun, i dont feel like freezing my ars off
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Check on ADVrider, I saw a thread like this. Basically the savy people there was saying to do that, you need around 5 days. 2 to get there, one to explere there and 2 to return.
If my brother is not here for New year, I am more than willing to tag along if you are thinking the week of 26-31.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

I have been to big bend 3 times now 2 time in vans leading geology trips and once for personal in my jeep. its a long drive and or ride and if your gonna take I10 the whole way its very very mind numbing. I have though about taking this trip on the bike but understand that once in the part Gas is very very limited and alot of the good places have dirt and rock roads. I see alot of people take the duel sport bike out there and have a blast. If you wanna go to just ride i would recommend trailering the bike to BBNP and then just riding around the park. Also make sure you have spare gas with you at all times.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Check on ADVrider, I saw a thread like this. Basically the savy people there was saying to do that, you need around 5 days. 2 to get there, one to explere there and 2 to return.
If my brother is not here for New year, I am more than willing to tag along if you are thinking the week of 26-31.
You'll want more than 5 days. We usually get there (trips i do for geology) in 1 day and spend 3-4 days in the park. Now granted we do a lot of hiking and geology work but that park is HUGE and even after 3 trips (3days min in park) i have still not done every trail. Just my $0.02
Old 12-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

got to El Paso in 10 hrs from houston on a bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
got to El Paso in 10 hrs from houston on a bike.
that doesn't sound like fun at all
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #8
xhangyx

Feedback Rating: (18)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 repsol
06 r6 *track*
08 cbr1000rr Repsol fairings
07 crf70
02 crf450

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
that doesn't sound like fun at all
+1 ouch...i needs a new back!
xhangyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

I have gone out on I-10 and then back on Alt 90 and I prefer Alt 90.

There is a big wind farm on I-10 by Fort Stockton that has a lot of wind turbines. And the speed limit on I-10 out there is 80 mph. Strange when you are doing 85 mph and a dually diesel Dodge Ram pulling a horse trailor passes you doing 90 mph.

There is a loong stretch on 90 west of the Pecos River where there is no gas - about 110 miles worth of nothing.

Its really not that bad of a ride, we left at 0600 and were in Alpine, which is where I recommend to stay, and is north of the Park, by 4:30 pm. It is about 600+ miles whichever way you go.

It can be a windy Mother out there - when we went out on I-10 and turned south west of Fort Stockton we had a 30-40 mph cross wind.

Piece of cake on a Super-Sport Touring bike like my FJR.

The park does have a gas station - right in the center by the ranger and visitor center. But, you can go long stretches around the park where there is no gas for 60-85 miles.

If you go, be sure to go up north to Fort Davis and see the observatory and ride the scenic loop west of town. You have to do River Road between Terlingua and Presidio.

Allow three days of riding time once you get out there to see what I believe should be on everyone's "MUST SEE" list of places to visit in Texas. There is lots of good riding in this area and that high desert is so different from Houston.

The other place is Palo Duro canyon but that is another thread topic.

Last edited by FJRmgm; 12-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 AM   #10
Texas94fs
SBN Bus Driver

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2006 Triumph Thruxton

Member Garage

Was just out that way, can't advise you on the route however i can tell you its a windy and cold. Was snowing and monday when I drove back from EP. I'd suggest trailering, and being armed.

April 2009 BOTM
Texas94fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

To avoid I-10 for most of the trip, take Alt 90 from Richmond to Seguin, then I-10 for about 30 miles through San Antonio, then regular 90 to Alpine or Marfa. Using this route and pushing it you can get there in about ten hours riding time. Maybe less depending on how fast you ride.

To avoid I-10 totally, from Seguin take 46 to 16. They intersect just south of Bandera. Then take 16 to Medina. Take 337 from Medina to Camp Wood and then head south on 55 to to 334 and then on to Brackettville (where the John Wayne version of the Alamo was filmed) and from Bracketville take regular 90 to Del Rio.

Del Rio is a good place to get a hotel room and then the next day head to Big Bend. If you are staying in a motel, Alpine has the best selection. Gas shouldn't be a problem if you watch your mileage. The worst stretches would be between Bandera and Leakey, Camp Wood and Bracketville, and Del Rio and Alpine. Sanderson is the only place to gas up between Del Rio and Marathon and that is over 100 miles.

There are two gas stations in the park: one at park headquarters and one at Rio Grande Village. On the west side there is gas in Study Butte.

I plan to do this ride over Christmas.

Take a map and enjoy yourself.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

One good thing about 1-10, the speed limit is 80 mph once you're West of Kerrville
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #13
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
One good thing about 1-10, the speed limit is 80 mph once you're West of Killeen
Killeen isn't on I-10. However, the speed limit is 80 west of Kerrville or Junction (can't remember exactly). It's 75 most other places.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
Killeen isn't on I-10. However, the speed limit is 80 west of Kerrville or Junction (can't remember exactly). It's 75 most other places.
It's Kerrville. I corrected myself before your post
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #15
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Yes, Hwy 90 west of San Antionio FTW. No I-10 needed.

Big Bend is cold at night in the spring, summer and fall, I would not want to ride there right now. But I guess I'm just a big *****.

Love riding out there though. Big fun, nice roads, no traffic.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

So how twisty are the roads in the big bend do they compare to the twisted sisters?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
So how twisty are the roads in the big bend do they compare to the twisted sisters?
It depends on where you are. In the park the speed limit is 45 mph. Marathon to Panther Junction is pretty straight as is Alpine to Study Butte. From Study Butte to Presidio the road is more up and down than left to right but its one of the most scenic roads in Texas. From Balmorea (sp?) to Ft Davis and then Alpine is pretty twisty. Hwy 90 west of Del Rio is straight but I've never seen a cop on it. From Ft Davis out beyond McDonald Observatory is twisty and steep, another scenic road. Marfa to Presidio starts straight then gets twisty through the mountains and then straight from Shafter to Presidio. Its also an 18 mile downhill, great if you're on a bicycle.

How cold it gets depends on how high in the mountains you are. I try to camp at Rio Grande village which is at 2300 feet and 15 degrees warmer than either in the Chisos Basin or Ft Davis which are over 5000 feet.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
Jeff

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX650F

Awesome. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #19
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyankee View Post
It depends on where you are. In the park the speed limit is 45 mph. Marathon to Panther Junction is pretty straight as is Alpine to Study Butte. From Study Butte to Presidio the road is more up and down than left to right but its one of the most scenic roads in Texas. From Balmorea (sp?) to Ft Davis and then Alpine is pretty twisty. Hwy 90 west of Del Rio is straight but I've never seen a cop on it. From Ft Davis out beyond McDonald Observatory is twisty and steep, another scenic road. Marfa to Presidio starts straight then gets twisty through the mountains and then straight from Shafter to Presidio. Its also an 18 mile downhill, great if you're on a bicycle.

How cold it gets depends on how high in the mountains you are. I try to camp at Rio Grande village which is at 2300 feet and 15 degrees warmer than either in the Chisos Basin or Ft Davis which are over 5000 feet.
I am going to put it on the riding bucketlist. But there better not be no dang bicycles gettting in my way.

Thanks for the info dude.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #20
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
x2, look in the regional section and search the Ride Reports. Make sure to stay one night in tralingua at the camp behind the bar called La Civa.

Stillwater has decent campgrounds where it's hard to get in trouble, and showers too. I'd ask to go but wife is preggo and about to pop

ENJOY
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement