MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #21
CMA.ZOMBIE

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'09 HD Ultra Classic (yes it's purple)
'69 HD Electra Glide (Pink Panther) Gone to someone who'll appreciate it.
'04 Honda Shadow 1100 (wife traded it for a street glide)

First - got by "On the Border" on Spencer - good selection of gear. And some used bikes. Where are you (NE, SE, N, etc...)? That will help with locations....
2nd - have you "tried" on bikes with anyone? Go by the shops and sit on them! If you can't put both feet on the ground, it isn't for you! Take someone you trust (and rides) with you!
3rd - What kind of bike do you want? Sport or cruiser? Fun or commuter or both?

FYI - my wife (115lbs) rides a HD Street Glide, so weight is not as much the issue as experiance and confidence....

Ehesians 2:1-10
CMA.ZOMBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best supplement for a beginner? TXrider05 Health and Fitness 20 04-21-2011 02:44 PM
Beginner bike elephant head Off Topic 30 02-21-2009 08:15 PM
Beginner Stunter Rebel_racing Stunters Lounge 14 08-05-2008 06:50 PM
Beginner's cruiser? isoplus Cruisers Lounge 50 05-31-2007 11:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #22
rkl56119

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
2006 Honda Rebel (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challen View Post
When you take your MSF class, talk to your Instructor about it. If you're truly planning on staying on side streets and nothing else, I'd go with a Yamaha Star 250 if it was me. From your list, I'd go with the GZ.

If you're interested in the Star 250, let me know. I may know someone that can hook you up.

Enjoy your class.
Might take you up on the offer if the numbers are right. I guess I will get a good feel for what I'm looking for by the end of my MSF class.
rkl56119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #23
rkl56119

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
2006 Honda Rebel (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA.ZOMBIE View Post
First - got by "On the Border" on Spencer - good selection of gear. And some used bikes. Where are you (NE, SE, N, etc...)? That will help with locations....
2nd - have you "tried" on bikes with anyone? Go by the shops and sit on them! If you can't put both feet on the ground, it isn't for you! Take someone you trust (and rides) with you!
3rd - What kind of bike do you want? Sport or cruiser? Fun or commuter or both?

FYI - my wife (115lbs) rides a HD Street Glide, so weight is not as much the issue as experiance and confidence....
I'll check on that. I was planning to go to Cycle Gear off I-45 South. I'm in the SE part of town near the Clear Lake area.

I have never tried on bikes at all. I do have several coworkers that ride. Thanks for the input on that. I may take one of them along with me.

I prefer a cruiser. Just for fun and commuting, nothing too fast. I've been reading some guy's blog from 2005 and 2006 when he started riding at about age 55. He started on a Honda Rebel and in about 2 years he upgraded to a HD. It was very interesting since he posted every day on his blog for 18 months.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #24
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl56119 View Post
He started on a Honda Rebel and in about 2 years he downgraded to a HD.
Fixed.

PS. Don't buy gear until after you take the class. We're gonna give you a bunch of coupons.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #25
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

I commuted on I-45 with my first bike. The poor 1985 honda rebel 250 was old and tired and still managed to keep my heft and large frame up with traffic for about 7K miles. I could easily do 65 by myself, but needed drafting to get higher. Small bikes will teach you a lot of self preservation techniques.
I think I initially killed my 250 due to bent valves from the WOT at 75 drafting every dually and big rig. Then Ike put the final nail in the coffin. Since you are close to half my weight and a foot shorter a Rebel should treat you much nicer than it did me. A member here by the name of Squoddybody started on the reb and could easily do 80-85 IIRC. Don't get the 750 Shadow (as suggested by Comfy) the thing is way too heavy for the power, so performance kinda sucks. I also had a 600, which had similar acceleration to my current 750, but at almost twice the gas mileage.
Have fun, be safe. I also second the sit on bikes recommendation.
Good luck.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #26
mr_joe

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

I was just about your build when i got my 2005 R6 (600 CC)back in 04. That was my first bike ever with no bike experience. Just put a lowering link kit if you want to touch the floor. i tried one but didn't like it and sold it. Who needs to touch the floor when your riding.

and at a stoplights you got a massive lean action going on that helps build the Leg muscles! o and if your going to Two up a lot then keep the kit.

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #27
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Definately sit on different bikes and see how they feel to YOU. We can all sit back and tell you to buy this, not that, that not this. Take your time and hit the shops, sit on bikes, maybe look into renting a HD sportster and riding it on the backroads to see if you like it. A 250 is not bad to start on at all, just keep in mind if you ever want to hit the streets it is going to be wicked. It is light and wide open on the freeway just to try and keep up with traffic. Hope you find what you are looking for.

South side as well

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #28
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #29
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
Definately sit on different bikes and see how they feel to YOU. We can all sit back and tell you to buy this, not that, that not this. Take your time and hit the shops, sit on bikes, maybe look into renting a HD sportster and riding it on the backroads to see if you like it. A 250 is not bad to start on at all, just keep in mind if you ever want to hit the streets it is going to be wicked. It is light and wide open on the freeway just to try and keep up with traffic. Hope you find what you are looking for.

South side as well
I agree with the limitations of the 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #30
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #31
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Looking at the date of your thread, you might have a bike by now.
If not, hope you are out doing some research.
250 is a good starting bike for a beginner ,but if you are like most riders, once they got some seat time under thier belt , they look for a larger cc bike.
If you really become a rider, you will want to take road trips, ride with fellow riders ,hit the highway to neighboring towns & counties.
If so , you will want something a bit larger that can carry you, maybe luggage & gear, or a passenger.
That is why a larger cc bike mgiht be more suitable after a period of time. [ your choice really ]
Ride safe , keep us posted.
BTW, I',m 51 years old, 5ft. 6.5 inches, 136lbs. , I ride a 1300 V Star, great bike for sure.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #32
The Trav
slowpoke

Trackdays: 1

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ht=buell+blast

this is a great beginners bike!
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #33
The Trav
slowpoke

Trackdays: 1

I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #34
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):

Well, what did you get?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 PM   #35
rkl56119

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
2006 Honda Rebel (SOLD)

Thanks for asking !

I got a Honda Rebel.

I've racked up just about 1,000 miles on it so far in the last 2 months even with 2 weeks out of the country. So far so good. I had to replace both tires and the chain. 2 Wheel Toyz did the work and was it was great.

I'm still trying to learn how to shift smoothly but getting better on making right turns. I have no problem turning to the left, even scrapped the foot peg once or twice, but usually have trouble with right turns.

I got up to just a bit over 75MPH on the highway but I like to stay around 65MPH. I bought a Spitfire windshield and saddlebags.

So far it's been a blast. I just went to Galveston today and it was about a 70 mile round trip. I ran out of gas close to Galveston. Had to pull over, switch to reserve and then went got gas in Galveston. It was strange that the engine just cuts out, I had expected the engine would sputter before cutting out so I can switch to reserve while riding.

Last edited by rkl56119; 02-27-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
CMA.ZOMBIE

Bike(s):

It's like that, just cuts out. Then you go, oh.... reserve! My HD doesn't have one, but I get a "miles left" countdown that is really freaky. If you want do some more riding, I am out just about every weekend. If you are looking for a nice easy route, try I45s to Palmer Hwy (1764) east to Hwy 146 back north to FM 646 to I45 again. Have fun!!!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #37
Killerjoe123
Happens

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
honda shadow 600
2006 ford mustang v6 4.0

trust me dude go with a honda shadow 600 i bought 1 for my first bike and still have it today and i love it..
Killerjoe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #38
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkl56119 View Post
Thanks for asking !

I got a Honda Rebel.

I've racked up just about 1,000 miles on it so far in the last 2 months even with 2 weeks out of the country. So far so good. I had to replace both tires and the chain. 2 Wheel Toyz did the work and was it was great.

I'm still trying to learn how to shift smoothly but getting better on making right turns. I have no problem turning to the left, even scrapped the foot peg once or twice, but usually have trouble with right turns.

I got up to just a bit over 75MPH on the highway but I like to stay around 65MPH. I bought a Spitfire windshield and saddlebags.

So far it's been a blast. I just went to Galveston today and it was about a 70 mile round trip. I ran out of gas close to Galveston. Had to pull over, switch to reserve and then went got gas in Galveston. It was strange that the engine just cuts out, I had expected the engine would sputter before cutting out so I can switch to reserve while riding.
If I am correct , you have bought another bike since the rebel ?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #39
rkl56119

Bike(s):
2006 Suzuki M50
2006 Honda Rebel (SOLD)

Yep.

I sold the Rebel a few weeks ago and bought a 2006 Suzuki M50. Wow, the M50 is definitely much much bigger. It weighs in at around 600 pounds. I can barely duckwalk the bike. So far the M50 has been great. I put about 400 miles on it in a little over a week.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 AM   #40
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Cool

Cool , hope you are enjoying your bike.
Big difference I know ,but you can go a lot more places now.

Advertisement