MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Question Dirtbike Conversion Question

Is it possible to add lights, etc. to a dirt bike to make it street legal? If so, what is it likely to cost to make something like a Suzuki RM 250 street legal? I presume there's wiring and such involved that would probably have to be handled by a shop.
NightBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used dirtbike no title for SM conversion... KitorisHunnis General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 04-11-2015 08:10 AM
Fat Tire Conversion Dirtbike GABRIEL General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 09-18-2013 09:21 PM
F4i Two seats conversion question ? ticao How To's and Q & A's 7 06-11-2011 10:50 AM
dirtbike question Busa_Bullet Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 61 05-13-2009 07:36 AM
dirtbike question 79porsche General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-22-2007 05:33 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
New Era
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

User is banned

Last edited by New Era; 11-30-2009 at 12:02 AM.
New Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

There you go: http://www.motostrano.com/sucokistle.html

It will give you an idea of the costs. Most of that money goes to wheels and tires (around 1k) so if you don't want to change your knobies, just buy the light kit.
If I were in your shoes, I would sell the RM and get a bike already 'tarded.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Baja Designs might be another option.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

cheapest route is to have the stator rewound to carry the extra voltage, then slap on an acerbis head and tailight and signals. You also need a horn but you can put a bicycle honker on there just to pass inspection then take it off. You also need dot tires to pass inspection. but it can be done for under 400$ if you get crafty. There is a guy on here the rewinds stators pretty cheap, forget his name though.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

.. a 250 2 stroke would be fun on the street.. You might want to consider changing the gearing a little bit for the street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Probably wont be able to get it titles as a street-use vehicle. The state has lots and lots of reasons to not legalize a 2-stroke motorcycle. Remember, your bike comes with an offroad only title. It's doable, assuming the DPS doesn't want to personally inspect your vehicle, rather than taking the word of the state inspection. I've had to go through this twice. The paperwork part can be easy, or it can he ruin your project.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

You don't need blinkers but if you have them, they have to work. I got a non-street legal DRZ400 recently and installed a hi/lo HL switch, horn and brakelight/taillight from BajaDesigns and it wasn't too hard.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

I got my 50 legal. I rewind the stator myself and used $20 fog light from auto zone. The most expensive thing was the taillight/licence plate holder at $36. I did mine for about $100
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

I saw it on bike of the month post Chad, t cracked me up. Do you actually ride it on the street? I know I sure as would, I would want a cop to pull me over and say "What do you think your doing" "Oh officer let me show you my paper work" hahaa. Is it titled like a moped so you cant get on highways? I would pay to see someone ridin down 249 on a fifty
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Thanks for all the info an links folks. It looks like a lot of helpful info.

@Irak- I don't actually have a bike at this point, RM 250 or otherwise. I'm just looking for an affordable way to get 2 wheels under me and I saw quite a few dirtbikes selling cheap. I figured it might be possible to modify them cheaply for street use and based on the above, it still seems like a possibility.

@New Era- I like your enthusiasm. If I get a dirtbike to mod, I may have to give you a call.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #12
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
Thanks for all the info an links folks. It looks like a lot of helpful info.

@Irak- I don't actually have a bike at this point, RM 250 or otherwise. I'm just looking for an affordable way to get 2 wheels under me and I saw quite a few dirtbikes selling cheap. I figured it might be possible to modify them cheaply for street use and based on the above, it still seems like a possibility.

@New Era- I like your enthusiasm. If I get a dirtbike to mod, I may have to give you a call.
keep in mind that if you convert a full motocross race bike like an RM250 to street legal, it is still a high performance and high maintenance bike. I wouldn't recommend long road trips by any means ( especially since with a 2 stroke you have to premix the gas ). But it would still be hella fun to get around town. Good luck.
Quote:
The cycle continues.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #13
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

If you are looking for an affordable bike, look for an old baby ninja. You might get an 02-03 for a very fair price.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
TomballD

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

oh man if you dont have a bike yet then dont convert one. I see cheap old hondas and suzukis on craigslist all the time, some of them already dual sport and ready to roll. Nows a good time cause its cold and you can get them cheaper. just keep your eyes open they are out there, my brother in law got an 89 honda 250 (4 stroke air cooled) for 900$ street tagged, and you couldnt kill that bike if you tried.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM   #15
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
I got my 50 legal. I rewind the stator myself and used $20 fog light from auto zone. The most expensive thing was the taillight/licence plate holder at $36. I did mine for about $100
mine took me about $200 but I paid Josh302 to rewind my stator since i didn't have the tools.

$50 i think for the stator, or you can buy one for $85
$8 horn
$8 mirror
$20 headlights,
$8 taillight
$1 resistor for brakelight
$35 for misc switches
$15 for inspection
$40 for registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
I saw it on bike of the month post Chad, t cracked me up. Do you actually ride it on the street? I know I sure as would, I would want a cop to pull me over and say "What do you think your doing" "Oh officer let me show you my paper work" hahaa. Is it titled like a moped so you cant get on highways? I would pay to see someone ridin down 249 on a fifty
and i ride mine all over the streets. been pulled over a few times but let off all the time. Mine is titled like a regular motorcycle with no restrictions

Last edited by sbfuller; 11-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
New Era
Banned

User is banned

Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
NightBaron
Prospective Two-Wheeler

Bike(s):
none, unfortunately

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
when are you trying to get started NightBaron??
I'd like to get started within the next 6 months or so (trying to save up to pay cash).

I like the used dual sport idea, too. It looks like there are quite a few of those around for very nice prices and I don't really want to mess with a 2-stroke or lots of maintenance. Are most or all dirt bikes 2-strokes?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #18
New Era
Banned

User is banned

Old 11-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBaron View Post
I'd like to get started within the next 6 months or so (trying to save up to pay cash).

I like the used dual sport idea, too. It looks like there are quite a few of those around for very nice prices and I don't really want to mess with a 2-stroke or lots of maintenance. Are most or all dirt bikes 2-strokes?
Most older dirt bikes are 2-strokes and most all newer full size motocross bikes are 4-strokes. 4 strokes have become the latest and greatest in technology and are nothing like the 4 strokes of the past. The first time i threw a leg over a 4-stroke i loved it. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with a 2 stroke but you'll find a 2-stroke cheaper right now than a 4-stroke.

2-strokers engines come alive in the mid range and top end while 4-strokes have respectable power from the low end all the way to the top.

2 stroke maintenance and engine work is way cheaper and easier but a little more frequent than a 4 stroke. A 4 stroke engine is less frequent maintenance, more complicated motor work and more expensive.

Either route you go you'll be happy.

That's enough typing for me.. time for a cig..
Quote:
The cycle continues.

Advertisement