MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Use your capacitive touchscreen devices with your gloves on! (

Many phones and other devices nowadays are using capacitive touchscreens, which means it relies on the human body and it's electrical properties to operate rather than pressure. The most common being the iPhone but there are many more out there.

This is great and dandy for not accidentally calling people from your pocket ect, but sucks when you have most gloves on.

Well, you can fix that with a bit of conductive thread available online for cheap.

Here is a step by step guide to make your gloves work with your capacitive touch screen device.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...-Touch-Screen/
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I found a sanyo touchscreen phone in the water at a park urbanXJ Off Topic 4 11-16-2011 06:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #2
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

neat
Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Navajib

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Moto-in-a-Box (CRF450R Motard)
Some Dirties
WTB: Adv Moto!

Pretty sweeeeet. Nice find; now I don't have to do the work and research.
The iPhone works w my SP2 glove most of the time, but it only works when weather is warm and higher. But I've mastered taking the glove off and on while riding.

Navajib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajib View Post
The iPhone works w my SP2 glove most of the time, but it only works when weather is warm and higher. But I've mastered taking the glove off and on while riding.
You won't have to anymore! It's only a few dollars for some conductive thread and 5 mins worth of work and presto!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Really?
You take your glove off and use the phone while riding?
I can see the value in not having to take off the glove to use the phone, but only when stopped. I see people every day that can't drive their car while using a phone, IMHO doing while riding a bike is foolish.
Sorry I don't know you but
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Really?
I can see the value in not having to take off the glove to use the phone, but only when stopped. I see people every day that can't drive their car while using a phone, IMHO doing while riding a bike is foolish.
I sold her a RAM mount for the iPhone that can be suctioned to the tank not too long ago, so maybe she is using that. I am not saying it's right to distract yourself from the road, but if its being used for say directions on a map, then I don't see how that's any different then printing a map and taping it to your tank like I have seen many people do.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I sold her a RAM mount for the iPhone that can be suctioned to the tank not too long ago, so maybe she is using that. I am not saying it's right to distract yourself from the road, but if its being used for say directions on a map, then I don't see how that's any different then printing a map and taping it to your tank like I have seen many people do.
You don't have to take your glove off and put it back on, while riding, to look down at the map.
I aint tryin to stir anything but I don't see any possible justification for using the phone while riding, other than maybe a bluetooth headset, which again should not require glove removal.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Navajib

Bike(s):
Some Dirties

Quote:
Really?
Yes, really.

Quote:
I also text.

Quote:
Also, I don't need to explain myself.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Yes, really.

I also text.

Also, I don't need to explain myself.
OK good luck with that...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
ThomAss
I like to ride

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

I don't have a problem with any of my gloves. If it's cold I rub my finger on my jeans to warm it up.
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Navajib

Bike(s):
Some Dirties

Quote:
OK good luck with that...
For the record, when riding, my focus is completely on getting A to B safely (and sometimes quickly as well ). In addition, I use my iPhone for its GPS (albeit, an inferior one) capability. Yes, I've taken my gloves off a few times, but it's my judgment, not yours. I could've been on a straight two lane, desert road in West Texas. Or on a Jeep trail by Lime Creek road where a speeding car would be nonexistent. And I have. Which on both accounts I have no problem saying, I've texted, took my glove off, or talked on the phone while riding.

I said I wouldn't explain myself. .

Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomAss View Post
I don't have a problem with any of my gloves. If it's cold I rub my finger on my jeans to warm it up.
"heat" has nothing to do with capacitive touch screen devices, they use your bodies electrical characteristics.

chances are you either don't have a capacitive touch screen device, or your gloves are VERY thin.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
You don't have to take your glove off and put it back on, while riding, to look down at the map.
I aint tryin to stir anything but I don't see any possible justification for using the phone while riding, other than maybe a bluetooth headset, which again should not require glove removal.
i get your point, and i am sure she does too.

its the same with people who use their phone while driving and so on, we have all been guilty of it at some point, but that goes back to personal responsibility. we shouldnt be making people NOT use their phones, or anything else for that matter, if they fck up on the road, they fck up, they suffer the consequences. its no more/less dangerous then people who drive excessive speeds or do wheelies, ect on the streets.

but like i said man, i know where your coming from, its just one of those things we all gotta live with.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
its the same with people who use their phone while driving and so on, we have all been guilty of it at some point, but that goes back to personal responsibility.
Nope, never been guilty of talking on the phone or texting or using it's GPS while riding a motorcycle.

Quote:
we shouldnt be making people NOT use their phones, or anything else for that matter, if they fck up on the road, they fck up, they suffer the consequences.
This would be true if we lived in a vacuum, but we don't. Other people suffer the consequences of our actions. Sometimes for years longer than we do.

Quote:
its no more/less dangerous then people who drive excessive speeds or do wheelies, ect on the streets.
Speeding is a fine we have all paid and wheelies can be a felony. So using your words, talking on a phone is no more/less dangerous so it should be prohibited too. Especially on a bike for 's sake!

Quote:
but like i said man, i know where your coming from, its just one of those things we all gotta live with.
You're right there, but help the person that hurts my family because they were on a phone, or drunk or doing anything else so obviously reckless.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #15
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Like I said man, it is what it is.

FWIW, the intention of my article wasn't for people to use their phones WHILE riding, I didn't like the fact I had to constantly take my gloves off to do anything on the phone while on the side of the road, or stopped on a group ride, ect.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #16
Navajib

Bike(s):
Some Dirties

Talking on any cell phone (hands-free) while driving/riding is no different than talking to a passenger. And how awesome technology advances have made a device to assist in navigating. Your needs are different than mine as is everyone else. Specifically, a dual-sport rider has different needs than a street bike. A sport-touring motorcycle rider has different needs than a commuter. For the most part, I have the same view as you but with exceptions. I see nothing wrong tinkering with devices while on a dual-sport trail, communicating bike-to-bike via Scala Rider Q2, or taking my glove off while riding on an empty road or on a trail. I actually wish I had a real GPS, but my chica won't let me splurge on one. I ride to get away and explore, not to be attached to a cell phone. Text messages/phone calls get in the way while using the map anyway.

As Ryan is saying, such is life.

Advertisement