MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #201
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
wait, what? yall went that slow? i aplaud the group's patience. that sounds like it would be a great pace for a group of 250's, but i cant imagine it on anything larger
To be honest, applaud Cali's patience.

I was originally going to bring some noobs with me and was going to go slow for them, but then none of my peeps showed... so I rode wit the faster group.

On 149, we split up the groups. One group went the moderate pace and the other the slow pace.

Supposedly the slower group went actually UNDER the speed limit.

Poor Cali...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forest Ride 11/08/09 Snow Events, Meets and Rides 7 11-08-2009 08:49 PM
Sunday 10/11/09 Forest / TWS (Texas World Speedway) / Parade laps Ride Deano3090 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 51 10-12-2009 09:53 PM
BDAY Forest Ride 8/29/2009 w/the Forest Gnomes!!! hybrid_crx Events, Meets and Rides 62 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
7.11.09 Forest Gnome Newb Ride CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 262 07-13-2009 09:08 AM
Forest Gnomes to MSRH 3.29.09 CaligoneTx Events, Meets and Rides 92 03-30-2009 10:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2009, 08:33 PM   #202
Street Ninja
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #203
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I am always grateful for people who sweep or do slow-medium pace for noobs or slowpokes like me. GJ cali!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #204
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
1. Its good to know roads but never attempt to memorize them. That will get you in more trouble when there is an obstruction in the road you werent expecting and you ride at your limits.

2. Never ride the streets above 70% of your ability. This allows for plenty of comfort room incase something does infact happen.

3. Take the beginning of each ride slow, even after stops, so you can figure out where you need to ride in a group for that day. If you're unsure or not feeling right, fall back and exercise defense.

4. If the group doesnt adjust to your riding for that day then the group really isnt focused on itself and the responsibility of everyone to maintain the group is dispursed into a more individual ride situation. More caution needs to be used when riding like that because fluidity of position, agreed passing/riding rules are often bent. If you are interesting in improving your skills the track is the best opportunity w qualified instructors. Take any 'experienced' riders information offered up w a grain of salt and not holy road doctrine. Something that works for someone may not work so well for another; still basic fundamentals can be shared, and should be, so long as everyone understands qualifications on the road are only as good as the verification you have a bike and its not laying over.

5. No matter what ride/day/time/condition you are in control of your own bike and no leader/sweeper can ride it for you because they are riding their own. A good leader/sweeper will control the group gaps by slowing in corners, awaiting at lights or allowing sweepers to block traffic. When the group is together, it works near flawlessly. Still, if you are feeling pressed in a corner, allow the rider to pass etc. Egos only get people in trouble and lead to problems in the end.

After addressing a couple issues in the beginning of the ride the groups seem to run clean. I invite peeps back on a Forest Gnome ride if you havent been(majority of us were gnomes anyways today lol). Its alot more structured then most rides but also offers a recommendation for MSF-based group riding and shows that it infact works for sportbikes too.

Last edited by CaligoneTx; 11-29-2009 at 09:04 PM.
CaligoneTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #205
99 Chris
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:31 AM   #206
Aj01R6
Aj

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Chris View Post
"They" are finished with it. And the bike is a night & day difference then when before the 'fixins'.

Next, the tune up!!

yes sir! let me know when Jason has the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyman View Post
SO after a completely mindfu<ked sleep last night my body feels like 100% better, but now comes the choice of I have no gas money.
its suppose to ran around 11am in anderson.
glad you made it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimcoco View Post
thank nothing serious just shaken up shoulders...
Very happy that you are ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Nice ride. Was nice to stretch my legs on the way back after not exceeding 60 in the forest or 45 on 3090.

Thanks to everyone that held back for the noobs. Takes alot of restraint. As for future rides; get some rest and be sure you are well enough to ride it. Dont stay up w no sleep then plan on riding your first long ride through the forest. That's dangerous for yourself and others.

Nice to see everyone again.
I know I know sleep yes yes!. . .sorry for makin you mad :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow View Post
To be honest, applaud Cali's patience.

I was originally going to bring some noobs with me and was going to go slow for them, but then none of my peeps showed... so I rode wit the faster group.

On 149, we split up the groups. One group went the moderate pace and the other the slow pace.

Supposedly the slower group went actually UNDER the speed limit.

Poor Cali...
Thanks for setting this up. As Cali said before "Aj, you gotta pop your forest cherry one time or another"...so thanks for helping me do that.

That is in no way meant to sound wrong lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Chris View Post
You're welcome, Snow. But please, don't feel silly or anything like that, for leaning off the bike and/or tucking down on the tank. I know what you're talking about, but you're riding a bike, albeit a Standard Sport... still a bike you can get down and dirty with. There are a few members here, and others not on MH, that are running those v-twins and fast as helll. Romeo is running like 1:51s at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on a SV650!!!! If you don't know.. THAT'S FAST for TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! Anyways, maybe next time I'll have more time to work with you a little more, or someone can, and we can get you a little more comfortable with what I was talking about.

To the guy that went down.. Glad you're all good and the bike isn't too bad. I was the same way after my get off a year ago, ordered some new parts within 24 hours. Haha...

To everybody on the ride, GOOD RIDE today!! Almost incident free. A little fun pushin MuddyBug. (Get those kinks worked out buddy) Also fun playing with you on the way home!!

I didn't mind the slow pace on the way up! She didn't do too bad considering it was like her 3rd time on the bike. She knows what it's like to go faster, as she's curb monkey'd on others' bikes. But I agree with Cali.. Aj, GET SOME SLEEP FOOL!!! LittleBlueNinja seemed to want the slower pace today, too, which is a good thing in my mind. Keep yourself humble boys & girls!!!

Cali.. again, good riding with ya today! As always, lots of fun playing on the roads once we got to twist our wrists a little!!!
Thank you for the tips Chris. still kinda at myself for not getting it all down like I wanted :/

45 traffic sucked when I left you guys. took me and hour and a half to get to the woodlands from that gas station.
My bike also started over heating, Idk what the deal is :(

ugh! if it ain't one thing its another!

Thank you for the ride! all of you!!!! mostly to Cali and Chris for keeping my in check
Aj01R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #207
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
1. Its good to know roads but never attempt to memorize them. That will get you in more trouble when there is an obstruction in the road you werent expecting and you ride at your limits.
#1 thing to remember on the street. It is not the track. Ride every road like it's the first time you've been on it. There should be no such thing as "learning lines" on the street, because every day it can change.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #208
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #209
Prothos

Bike(s):
Huffy

I had no problem sweeping the slow group on that ride. It was the first time i had my wife on the back riding the forest and was not sure how she would do. For some strange reason she does not mind the left turns but the right ones tend to scare her a bit if we have to lean. She did well all in all. LoL she did commit on the slow pace headed there but tbh honest i don't think she would have wanted to go to much faster.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #210
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj01R6 View Post
I know I know sleep yes yes!. . .sorry for makin you mad :(
Not mad; frustrating knowing you werent in a good enough condition to ride that day. 6 people that told me they were coming didnt show. I knew two of them were going to be sore from the track Saturday but better they stay home then put themselves at risk.

Some thoughtful consideration to prolong self preservation is recommended
Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #211
Shinyman

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000rr with some repsol fairings
07 Buell XB9R (totaled)

Quote:
Not mad; frustrating knowing you werent in a good enough condition to ride that day. 6 people that told me they were coming didnt show. I knew two of them were going to be sore from the track Saturday but better they stay home then put themselves at risk.

Reason why I didn't go aside from money.
Choose your battles, I have had those days out on 3090 where I was simply to tired and almost ate it big, and its quite hard to get me spooked.

But Sorry for seeming snappy at pp69 aj, generally much nice to people.

Also cali I am in dire need of a forest ride, I haven't been on 3090 in almost 4 months.
Shinyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:01 PM   #212
MightyMouse4

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Yamaha R6
03 zx6r 636

Sunday was definitely a recovery day!!!
MightyMouse4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #213
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

We werent expecting you to show. People underestimate how much energy is drawn through track riding.

Now try riding 3090/forest there/back while riding the track day Gotta love busa!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #214
Aj01R6
Aj

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2001 Yamaha R6

Quote:

believe me i didn't expect what happened that night to happen. something personal had to be dealt with.
Aj01R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #215
karimcoco

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
05 R1
00 kawa zrx 1100 *sold*
08 CBR 600RR *sold*
05 GSXR 1000 *stolen*

Quote:

Very happy that you are ok!
thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #216
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

lilblueninja... where are your pix?

Must we discuss pulling your forest gnome status?

JK
Old 11-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #217
lilblueninja
Ninja Turtle

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250r

Hi all! It was nice meeting Chris, AJ and Snow as well as seeing everyone else again. My interwebz iz broken at home so I can't upload pics . . . yet.

Personally, I didn't mind the slower speed-limit-or-10-above pace. (although the under speed limit was a bit slow even for me, but safety first!) I need a track day or two before I'll feel comfy pushing it around the corners. Regardless, I had a great time! Thanks much to Cali and Prothos for being patient enough to keep an eye on me.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #218
lilblueninja
Ninja Turtle

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
lilblueninja... where are your pix?

Must we discuss pulling your forest gnome status?

JK
Nooooooooooes
I got home, put the pics on my computer and went out to wash the bug gunk off the bike and cover her up for the week 'o rain. Came back and the internet AND cable tv were down. Was still down this morning too, heads better roll for this!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #219
99 Chris
Banned

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000

User is banned

99 Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #220
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

^^^lol but you're conditioned.

Quote:
believe me i didn't expect what happened that night to happen. something personal had to be dealt with.
The reasons for being arent important. We were concerned about your safety during the ride, Sunday. It was your choice to ride, it was our concern when you passed double yellow lines at slow speeds and shook your head. That's a red flag.

Regardless; no need to continue this discussion publically. If you have any other concerns or wanna chat you have our numbers

Advertisement