MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Motard question

I have someone interested in trading a bike for my SV and it sounds like a pretty sweet deal and would probably do a straight trade. It will probably stay a dirt bike for a while but I would like the option of 'tarding it out eventually

It is a 2005 crf450x with about 25 hours on it. Here's some of the other stuff it has "Kibble white SS valves, new Weisco piston, Full Vapor computer (spedo,tach, temp, air temp, trip, time ride and lap. Also has a full (not slip on) DR D exhaust"

Now is there a reason to get the 450r over this? Any huge disadvantages/advantages I should know about? I know this will weigh more but it is also that much closer to being a street legal commuter bike which is a huge plus for me.

Thanks for any help guys
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not a motard but...TW200 question MoreyFan Super Motards 9 02-27-2014 10:54 PM
MOTARD question Bounce305 General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 06-14-2012 10:53 AM
Tire Question for full size Motard Tojo92 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 19 08-27-2009 06:55 PM
MOTARD Gearing CRF450R Question cdill35 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 16 06-20-2009 11:21 AM
motard question? matt440rev General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 05-19-2008 06:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

It aint cheap to tard up. I would try and find one already done.

I always wanted a tard but as a second bike.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

If you plan on streeting it, I would think X (they come plated correct?) BTW, I wouldn't commute unless you're ride is straight up Navarro. CRF don't like sustained high rpms.

Is the X in Victoria?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Ya I know it's not cheap, I've priced most of it already. We have 60+ acres to play on so I'll be fine with it in dirt setup for the time being, just an over time project really. More looking for the advantages of a 450r vs a 450x. What's the major drawbacks or advantages to one or the other
Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
If you plan on streeting it, I would think X (they come plated correct?) BTW, I wouldn't commute unless you're ride is straight up Navarro. CRF don't like sustained high rpms.

Is the X in Victoria?
No not plated, at least not from the factory as far as I know since they're not fully dualsport. They have the light setup but no turn signals. And since he has the Vapor there would be my speedo, so I think maybe a couple hundred bucks and I would have a street legal ride. He has the title so I couldn't see it being too big of a headache

It's in Houston or somewhere right around the outskirts. It's a 281 number and said he could meet me halfway between Houston and Victoria.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

PM Tom aka Scorpio, he converted a 450x. To my knowledge, Xs are better to tard than Ride Smart. Basically because of the maintenance you'll have to do to the bike.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Fair enough, just thought if Iit was in Victoria, and you were going to look at it this weekend (I'll be in town), a second set of eyes wouldn't hurt.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
PM Tom aka Scorpio, he converted a 450x. To my knowledge, Xs are better to tard than Ride Smart. Basically because of the maintenance you'll have to do to the bike.
Will do, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Canuck View Post
Fair enough, just thought if Iit was in Victoria, and you were going to look at it this weekend (I'll be in town), a second set of eyes wouldn't hurt.
I appreciate that. I wish it was down here, would definitely make it easier
Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Well, if its up around here, shoot me a PM, I might be able to break free, or can give you the name of a few folks I would recommend taking with you.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
The biggest problem on the X models are the titanium valves which it sounds like they have already addressed. I've put about 1500 miles on mine with a couple track days mixed in and have'nt had any problems. Mine still has the stock valves also, the SS valves are supposed to be less of a problem.
As long as you keep them within spec, you shouldn't have any issues.
As far as differences go between the R and X go, the R has a more aggresive cam and a close ratio tranny. The X is better suited for road use for this reason as well as having electric start. I haven't lined mine up against an R, but Jody says the R will get off the corners faster if you plan on using it for supermoto. There are a lot of X owners and good info on www.crfsonly.com.

Good luck. Great bikes for sure.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

I'll deffinitely keep you in mind for checking it out Jason, thanks for the offer.

He said he would meet me halfway to Victoria, but I may see if he is willing to meet me at Motorcycles Unlimited so they can take a look-see at both of our bikes. Just so we know we both aren't getting shafted. We'll see

Thanks for that firsthand there Scorpio, appreciate it. And thanks for the site too, time to go research some more!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Jason_Canuck

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayJ
;
but I may see if he is willing to meet me at Motorcycles Unlimited so they can take a look-see at both of our bikes. Just so we know we both aren't getting shafted. We'll see
I would have recommended that first but wasn't sure you desire to travel.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #13
motardd
$cashmoney$

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
04 drz 400
05 crf 450r

i jus went through all that hassle trying to convert n 05 crf 450 r to street legal supermoto, i got it track ready but when it came to setting up lighting baja design is basically the only option i could find that had everything and baja headlights n taillights dont look sweet +stator has to be rewound and some other bulshit relating to lighting, and then the shop tells me after i do that i gotta gett the head set up different cause cruising with that mototr apparently destroys it, even wit ss valves, i guess its made to be wot or no throttle but anyways if u want to ride sm n play in the dirt with the same bike i just got a 04 drz 400e completly converted n i rip up n down 610 n 59 at a 100mph n it throws down in the dirt too
motardd is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement