MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Neck braces on race tracks

Seems like common injuries during trackdays and road racing are broken collar bones.
I know some of you ride dirt as well as track so a question for anybody with neck brace experience.
Would a neck brace, like those used for moto-x work for asphalt?
I realize that the leathers would have to be modified but I am more concerned with head mobility. Maybe it would be worth it to have the leathers altered, get a neck brace and save some collar bone/neck injuries.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here uses posture aids/braces? hotcknstrips Off Topic 12 07-02-2012 07:50 AM
Invisalign Braces ?? lanzer913 Off Topic 6 03-12-2012 02:24 PM
Safety Question: Why Are Neck Braces (Leatt) Not More Popular? thebujster Gear Talk 18 12-28-2011 07:46 PM
Knee Braces Navajib Safety Corner Main 18 07-01-2009 02:39 PM
neck braces? logan5 Taking it to the Track 23 12-09-2008 06:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
TZR250

There are several guys out there that race that wear neck braces...not sure if that would help a collarbone though.
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

I was very concerned about this after having a titanium plate screwed to my collar bone last year, so I wear one one the mini, and have had good results so far. I've gone down twice this year, both times hitting my head pretty good, and striking the pavement at weird angels with no injuries as of yet.

Neck braces on race tracks

but find it impedes mobility on the big bike.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post

but find it impedes mobility on the big bike.
That's my concern. From what I've read, many say it makes it difficult to tilt your head back while in a full tuck. Others say it is not a problem when the brace has been adjusted properly (in the case of Leatt, Alpinestar etc).
It also appears that some of the more sophisticated neck braces (Leatt, Alpinestar etc) while being more protective against neck injuries, may actually cause more broken collar bones. Still even a minor neck injury can put a person in a wheelchair so if the right brace could be found it might be a good idea anyway.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Soft neck rolls are fairly common. Brandon Warren wears a Leatt Brace, I think. Here's a picture souced from my pix from September's CMRA event at Oak Hill:

663783851 GHgrB XL

Keep this in mind - Walter Walker and I were talking at TWS (Texas World Speedway) about these neck rolls and issues we've had with them. We have had to fish several of them off the track at pretty much every race, and it's a pain for race control and a potential safety hazard for other racers. Please secure these things correctly before heading out to the track.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Soft neck rolls are fairly common.

We have had to fish several of them off the track at pretty much every race, and it's a pain for race control and a potential safety hazard for other racers. Please secure these things correctly before heading out to the track.
From things I've read the potential problem with soft neck rolls is, the helmet extends beyond the roll, which can allow the head to pivot around it. This dramatically increases the chances of severe neck injury.
That was the reason Dr. Leatt, a surgeon and motorcycle racer designed the Leatt neckbrace after seeing another racer die of neck injuries.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
From things I've read the potential problem with soft neck rolls is, the helmet extends beyond the roll, which can allow the head to pivot around it. This dramatically increases the chances of severe neck injury.
That was the reason Dr. Leatt, a surgeon and motorcycle racer designed the Leatt neckbrace after seeing another racer die of neck injuries.
I not here to debate the Leatt versus a soft roll versus nothing at all issue. I tend to think the Leatt has better engineering and science in its design, but that won't save you from every possible crash scenario. I know a guy who says his head was injured worse because of Leatt because it didn't allow his neck to bend when his helmet hit the ground. Sounds like the guy arguing how wearing a seatbelt is more dangerous than not wearing one.

A few years ago the HANS device became a big deal in NASCAR because it supposedly made the driver less succeptable to basal skull injuries in accidents. But the drivers complained that it restricted movement and made quick vehicle egress tougher if that was needed. I think the HANS device is mandatory in NASCAR now, so I guess either everyone loves it, or was forced to live with it. It is used in F1 and other big racing orgs as well.

Wear one if you want to, but secure it well.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

99 zx9

im recovering from a broken collar bone right now, the first thing i bought when i got home was a leat brace. when you go through something like this you tend to question alot of variables, and that is one i dont ever want to question again.
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

After I broke my collar bone I bought one (a soft brace) and wore it 1 time for 2 sessions and could not stand it. I recently gave it away to Gabe.

Problems for me were: I didn't like the way it "felt" because it seemed that I had something pushing on my helmet while I was riding; and I didn't feel like I could turn my head fully (though I probably was).

I have a friend who wears the Leatt brace on the track and street and claims none of those issues, as well as plenty of friends who race with the soft and Leatt brace who also do not complain about the same things I did.

Personally, I think it's probably an essential peice of safety equipment because certainly they can help with neck injuries as well as the collar bone injuries (though I know folks that had a broken collar bone while wearing a soft brace...).

I did not buy the Leatt becuase of the price... but still may make that purchase.

To me the braces like that are like wearing a cage mask in hockey; after years of not wearing one it's hard to get used to wearing one but I'm sure it can be done (though I still play without one...).
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

No doubt a piece of safety gear can't protect against all possible scenerios and for sure I am not advocating neck braces.
I just thought if some people had some input it would be interesting to consider. Thanks to Racer997 and TomLSTD.
Personally I don't think the soft neck roll is for me. The Leatt type seems more likely to provide neck protection but it also looks like in certain cases the forces would be transferred directly to the collar bone.
I guess nuthin's perfect but I would like to see something that protects both.

I read an online article about this subject and it talked about how we wrap ourselves in cowhide, with special care taken for our extremities (helmets,gloves and boots) but we leave our necks unprotected. It also described how our heads (which with helmet weigh around 20lbs) are supported by small fragile bones, medium sized muscles and some ligaments.
Makes sense to me to give some thought to how we might provide some support for it. Maybe in time someone will develop a good workable system for street/track applications.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 11-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I read an online article about this subject and it talked about how we wrap ourselves in cowhide, with special care taken for our extremities (helmets,gloves and boots) but we leave our necks unprotected. It also described how our heads (which with helmet weigh around 20lbs) are supported by small fragile bones, medium sized muscles and some ligaments.
Makes sense to me to give some thought to how we might provide some support for it. Maybe in time someone will develop a good workable system for street/track applications.
The above is some of the information that Leatt evaluators and developers put out- when the device was new that was what was distributed by the developers mostly. Problem with the theory was that (at the time) the brace cost as much or more than a set of good leathers! There are some old threads on here about the Leatt, the information really hasn't changed, but the prices sure have come down. IIRC, the top notch Leatt (when it was new) was around $1500

I think you have a bit of a point about where the brace "rests" and the potential to break the collar bone because of it, but in my redneck way of looking at things it seems that the force would be more evenly distributed on the shoulders rather than directly to the collar bone. Point of debate is though that there is no denying that it only takes ~7 lbs of force to break a collar bone... that ain't much!

I think in this situation I am going to do what I can to get the Leatt brace (if I buy one) fitted properly and evaluate how it rides on my shoulders first. I'm just putting it off for no good reason I guess, but mostly because of the fear that I'll spend that money and then won't like it's fitment/ wearing characteristics and it'll sit in my closet forever.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
mototx
Guthrie

The soft neck braces work great, it prevents the helmet from creating a fracture point and prevents the neck from over extension. I use to ride with one until I lost it at a certain track day never to have it returned but while I was using it it didn't bother me a bit with mobility. One complaint was having to track it down on the track every now and then (after falling off) and a rash occasionally while at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for three days... It's not stiff enough to cause spinal separation I can attest to that.
mototx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototx View Post
The soft neck braces work great, it prevents the helmet from creating a fracture point and prevents the neck from over extension. I use to ride with one until I lost it at a certain track day never to have it returned but while I was using it it didn't bother me a bit with mobility. One complaint was having to track it down on the track every now and then (after falling off) and a rash occasionally while at TWS (Texas World Speedway) for three days... It's not stiff enough to cause spinal separation I can attest to that.
Is this the same one I am thinking of, in the floor of my shop? The one I brought to a couple of events after you lost it and you didn't pick it up from me then? And yes, the one event that I forgot to bring it...

If not, must be a different person...
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i can't fit my leatt from mx with my leathers and back protector. i would have to have my leather custom tailored to get it to work.

or i would have to buy larger leathers to fit my thor impact rig that i use on dirt under my leather and still have the leather altered a bit.

my leatt would be tough to wear on a sport bike or anything where I'd have to tuck and not sit upright, as the back of my helmet hits the back of the brace, keeping me from looking up.

Last edited by hotnanas; 11-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
DavidB
Trackday Critic

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R1

Maybe I'm not going fast enough. I've worn my soft neck brace to more than 100 trackdays and it has never come off.

I bought it on suggestion from the doc after getting my collarbone plated. He said it was very unlikely to make any crash injury worse, and very likely to help by possibly distributing the force of an impact. $40, I wear it. Fortunately, I have not tested it.

It does make looking back more difficult, but being as everyone is in front of me, there's no point looking back.
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
KrisNaarden

im sure this is a mega repost but

and while finding that video I found this

KrisNaarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
mototx
Guthrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Is this the same one I am thinking of, in the floor of my shop? The one I brought to a couple of events after you lost it and you didn't pick it up from me then? And yes, the one event that I forgot to bring it...

If not, must be a different person...
It is me, just trying to give you a hard time. Throw it in the trailer for next year, till then your legally liable if I break my collar bone
mototx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mototx View Post
It is me, just trying to give you a hard time. Throw it in the trailer for next year, till then your legally liable if I break my collar bone
It's still here, you ought to just come get it or meet up when it's not a race weekend, that way you can bring it to the track when you need it. LMK.

Advertisement