MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mcd

Feedback Rating: (0)

CMRA mini endurance

I have been playing around with the idea of running mini sprints and endurance with CMRA next year. I have an F5 bike, but have been thinking of running F4 as well.

What bike would have the best chance at being competitive in F4? I know the Ninja 250 is legal in that class, and seems to be (from looking at the results page) what most people run. I was also thinking of running an 85cc motard. I don't think I could comfortably run a GP chassis bike in endurance, being 6'1". How about a 150R motard? I know cost would run a little more, but would it be able to hold up to endurance racing? The 85cc's seem pretty bullet proof, not sure about the valvetrain on a 150R though.

Would any of you MotoHouston racers be interested in starting a mini endurance team for next year? I am not sure how my work schedule is going to turn out next year, but I would like to at least make a few endurance rounds. It would be mostly for fun, although I would like to be competitive. I am not worried about winning an overall championship.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Mini (Lightweight) Endurance Roll Call joeybaila Taking it to the Track 2 12-25-2013 02:45 AM
Racing: CMRA Formula 4 Mini Endurance Thayleal Taking it to the Track 44 09-06-2013 10:08 AM
CMRA Mini Endurance Rider Available For 2011 gofast353 Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 2 01-05-2011 11:49 AM
CMRA Cresson mini Endurance Thanks BlackWidow Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 09-08-2009 01:57 PM
CMRA @ Oak Hill Mini Endurance houseofpaint Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 12 09-27-2007 04:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

With the 12 hour at Oakhill on the schedule, the Ninja 250 is going to offer the best, most affordable package. Everything else will not only suffer performance wise, but will require rebuilds throughout the season.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
mcd

How do the little ninjette's handle? I know there are a couple of people on here who race them. Do they require a fair amount of work before being race worthy, or just a set of tires? What about bodywork, do they make race glass for them?

I have been leaning towards a motard, simply because I can use it as a mini play bike as well (150R would be fun at the kart track, and in the dirt!). But I agree, 12hr's on a 150R or even 85cc would be questionable! Although I could always skip the 12hr and run sprints that weekend.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

You can get an older ex250 for cheap and they are faster than the new ones. The only thing is you have to run crappy tires (Dunflop), and that makes it harder to run as fast of laptimes as the new ones.

It is pretty easy to put the newer forks and wheels on an older like I did so it will handle about as good as the new ones.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I've ridden them all, the two-strokes, the four-strokes and the Ninjettes. In the right hands, and with the right tuning, they are all lethal.

There are some tricks to make a CRF150R motor bulletproof. Steve Guynes has been racing them since they came out a few years ago, and he's exploded a few here and there to learn just what to do to make them reliable, and just what the maintenance intervals are. Of course in between a few failures over the course several years, he's had lots of success. This year our team (including Steve-O, of course) won the overall mini endurance championship on a CR150R powered Honda RS125, and didn't have a single engine related failure the entire season (although occasionally we missed optimum tuning). But the bike was far from a set it and forget it kind of deal.

Although not razor sharp in the handing department like the GP framed bikes, the best and most trouble-free platform would be a Ninjettee, like Keith suggested above. Keith, his team, and his bikes are always near the front of the pack.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
mcd

Thanks for the help so far guys.

How does the ninjette stock suspension handle for novice pace? Will it be good enough, or does it need to be reworked. What type of tires are you guys running on them?

I admit that I am still a little partial to a motard, either 2 or 4 stroke. I would be able to use that bike for a lot more other than CMRA (kart track and dirt). If the motard is not going to be competitive against the ninjettes though, I don't want to start off at a disadvantage.

I will probably not be up to speed with most of the F4 racers at first, but I don't want to be getting blown away by the ninjettes.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

you better have one helluva motard to hang with the F4 250's. even riding F5 these things fly by like you're sitting still
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post

How does the ninjette stock suspension handle for novice pace? Will it be good enough, or does it need to be reworked. What type of tires are you guys running on them?

I admit that I am still a little partial to a motard, either 2 or 4 stroke. I would be able to use that bike for a lot more other than CMRA (kart track and dirt). If the motard is not going to be competitive against the ninjettes though, I don't want to start off at a disadvantage.

I will probably not be up to speed with most of the F4 racers at first, but I don't want to be getting blown away by the ninjettes.
Most of the teams run the BT003's. Bridgestone pays contingency in the mini classes, including the endurance. The No Homeless team runs Pirelli and they won the Cresson endurance overall, but most opt for the Bridgestones as they are cheaper and pay contingency.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #9
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd View Post

That Road and Track guy can set the ninJette up for you.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

The stock suspension is best used as a boat anchor.

You need emulators, springs and damping rod mods for the forks. The mods are nowhere near what Racetech suggests though. They can even be miles apart from fork to fork.
The Works shock is the cheapest and works just fine. Penske is better but more $$$.
The suspension is the most important thing on these bikes.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i am always looking on the iaai.com website for a ninja 250 nearby. I really want to pick one up on the cheap for cmra, but the upcoming nuptials is postponing that desire.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

yea, we(NO HOMELESS) won cresson this year and had tons of fun on our ninja.
they're fantastic bikes.
we run the 08 model with the pirellis.
john can get you set up on either the bridgestones or pirellis. they both work well and he's very familiar with what is working on the kawis.
whether you get and old one or a new one, Road and Track should be able to dial in your suspension. it's key to riding these bikes fast.
they're cheap and fun.
and you can take them way past the edge and bring them back.
the GP bikes may not be so forgiving.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement