MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #21
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
That guy shouldn't be riding.
I agree. If he was going as slow as he says and still eating shyt, he needs a new hobby.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Jersey Motorsports = Another Track Builder Gets It Wrong Racer997 Taking it to the Track 10 07-23-2009 07:19 AM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
lsudecat04

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
08 600rr~ sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
Nothing to be worried about. That is unless you signed up for TWS (Texas World Speedway)....
I think he did. You will be alright ride smart is an awesome organization that really helps a lot of riders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post

I didnt recieve hardly any Instruction my first Track Day and it nearly ruined the Day for me. I was sooo frustrated because I could not figure out how to disect the turns properly and add speed.
Yeah this was almost me. I was lucky enough to have a friend that was on his 20+ track day so he could help me out learn the track and learn the lines.. Also it helps if you were into racing before you got the bike. I had always watched racing since i was 8. I learned about apex break points and turn ins then. So i had an idea of what to do.

As far as that guy good for him to be buying the videos and learning. I give him props.
lsudecat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
ummmmm....
Just kidding, its a fun track and RIdesmart has plenty of guys there to show you the ropes.

1st track day I did I followed an instructor around all morning and he told me to go to level 2 at lunch if I wanted. I was intimidated at 1st but just paid close attention during class and asked a lot of questions.

Stick to an instructor, even when he is showing someone else lines, just follow them. If they are going too fast, drop back and find an instructor with a slower rider and follow them. WOrked for me.

The 2 worst things about doing a track day are the initial equipment costs and the fact that you get hooked and end up spending a lot of money doing more track days.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob View Post
yea that too. Im one of those shy people. I know its stupid but sometimes im hesitant to ask questions in the middle of a big pack of seasoned guys.
If you are riding in Level 1, I'd hope that wouldn't be a problem. Level 1 Instructors are so busy assisting their students that they don't have time to sit and chat with other instructors; at least I don't because all the students want help. Level 2 is a little different as not all students want help, sometimes they want to spend a few sessions working on a particular skill.

The big challenge is keeping the student to instructor ratio an optimum number so the instructor has the opportunity to work directly on track with each student for more than one session.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #25
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
no common sense I agree with you he needed a dirtbike to learn how to look thruogh the turns.

track day org should have pulled him off after first time going off track.
I disagree... if we pulled people off the track just because they run off for the first time how many would be tempted to do more trackdays?? That is when you pull them aside, as many times as it takes, and even with different instructors. Some people have ways with certain people. Some people can get the point across when others can't. And yes, some people are just plain dangerous, but that means they need extra attention in one way or another. Just sayin...
Old 11-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #26
Jeff

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX650F

Phew! I got all afeared for a minute. Now I'm back to stoked.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #27
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I agree. If he was going as slow as he says and still eating shyt, he needs a new hobby.
Somewhat. I think the guy was mind fukking himself and thus becoming a danger to others.

The instructors didn't do their jobs either from what I'm reading but no one party is to blame. They both share it IMO.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #28
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Phew! I got all afeared for a minute. Now I'm back to stoked.
Just listen, ask and attempt to do what you are told.
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK ANY QUESTION, EVER!
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #29
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

the only thing to fear at the track is.....pam
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
the only thing to fear at the track is.....pam
Am I really that bad? besides, it isn't one of my events he is going to so he doesn't have to worry about me keeping him in line
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #31
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

I never understood why they let track instructors ride their trackdays the same day they are instructing , I'm not knocking the instructors but my first TD i didnt know anything like most first timers the only thing that really helped were the other TD riders , theres some really good people there . My instructor crashed the beginning session and hurt his hand he was out the rest of the day . With some organizations they are crowded as anyways and then you lose an instructor and now have to blend in his riders just makes it worse . My point is why not have two different groups of instructors and they alternate weekends so the ones that are suppose to teach only concentrate on teaching
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:33 PM   #32
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
My point is why not have two different groups of instructors and they alternate weekends so the ones that are suppose to teach only concentrate on teaching
+1,000,000 that would be awesome!!!

I would do it again if that were the case.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #33
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
I never understood why they let track instructors ride their trackdays the same day they are instructing , I'm not knocking the instructors but my first TD i didnt know anything like most first timers the only thing that really helped were the other TD riders , theres some really good people there . My instructor crashed the beginning session and hurt his hand he was out the rest of the day . With some organizations they are crowded as anyways and then you lose an instructor and now have to blend in his riders just makes it worse . My point is why not have two different groups of instructors and they alternate weekends so the ones that are suppose to teach only concentrate on teaching
You would need A LOT of instructors to do that. And sadly, you'd be astonished at the number of people that turn the job down. You have to really like helping people to do it. So you suggest work with students, burn gas, burn tires and put wear and tear on your bike for a track day credit? You could corner work and come out better.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #34
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You have to really like helping people to do it.
Everyone I have ever approached at Ride Smart with any question always seemed to WANT TO go of their way to help me out.

I have really appreciated that and thats why most of my return track business is for Ride Smart. I would go even if it was twice the price to go to a track day, I just really like the way they run their show.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You would need A LOT of instructors to do that. And sadly, you'd be astonished at the number of people that turn the job down. You have to really like helping people to do it. So you suggest work with students, burn gas, burn tires and put wear and tear on your bike for a track day credit? You could corner work and come out better.
i see your point and i guess you just have to want to be an instructor in order to do that . Tell Dave to provide intructor bikes with cameras mounted front and rear
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I'm missing something here. Was there ever any street instruction for this guy? A license, an MSF course, any experience at all on a bike before taking on 'the track'??? It seems like there wasn't.... which I find amazing - - - amazingly scary! Two months into a bit of riding and video-watching, and then a track-day? And then complaints about instructors? I mean really... isn't there some level of assumption about whether the rider has any experience avoiding common problems on the road, or prediction of speed, or controlling the bike's brakes or anything before getting on a track-day class?

There should be some kind of pre-test and proof of at least a minimum of experience before getting out there among other riders trying to go fast!

I can't imagine a track-day is where any instructor would expect to teach someone basic riding skills. But I'll agree instructors make the difference, just like school teachers....

Am I wrong here?

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #37
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

By the way - I just visited Texas Speedway for the first time watching vintage car-racing... and I can tell you I gots da fever! I will be prepared for track days in the spring! FZ1RKT RULZ - college station will never be the same...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #38
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I rarely ride level 4 when I instruct; 1 session at the most. I believe the same is true for most level 1 instructors. Also keep in mind instructors don't earn a track day for every day of instruction like corner workers do. It's much more informal with RideSmart.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #39
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
i see your point and i guess you just have to want to be an instructor in order to do that . Tell Dave to provide intructor bikes with cameras mounted front and rear
that topic has been covered. I've been specifically asked to not run video when I'm instructing as to not cause the school to lose video revenue money.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #40
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
They only have front mounted cams. Dave gives 100% of that revenue to the instructor that filmed it. The school keeps none of that money. That's why other instructors are discouraged from filming their students at no charge. Its very inconsiderate of the "bike cam" instructors that have been there for years. So purchase one sometime, I know the instructors appreciate it.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement