MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
eltejano
I smell pretty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Track day shenanigans in Jersey

This was posted on the AustinSBR and I thought I would share here.

Apparently these guys had a replay of our Memorial Day at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

http://shopphilly.com/teampromotion/...er=asc&start=0

What caught my eye was the following poster. I think we have his equivalent at every track day. , I think we had about a dozen of him on that Memorial Day Ridesmart event.

Quote:
ROBERGEAUF

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't believe the things that I'm hearing. Some of you guys should be a shame of calling yourselves coach. Luckilly I wasn't one of those who crashed that day, but I have crashed many times at TPM events.

This is my first riding season ever. I purchased my bike in Jan. from a dealer who rides with Team Pro-Motion and told me about TPM.

On Jan 18th I went to the bike show at the Javitts Center and met TPM. I told them that I was a new rider and the only time that I've ever ridden a bike was at mss school, and I would like to come to the track to learn how to ride better. TPM encouraged me to come to the track.

I got my bike in Feb. and started to practice how to move the bike at slow speed. I learned what to do from a DVD Title "Ride like a Pro."

On April 25th, after watching "twist of the wrist" for several months, I did my first track day with TPM at Thunderbolt.

I signed up and did ART Basic level I, and I went off the track twice that day. I didn't drop the bike, but I still went off the track. WHY? Track riding is different from street riding; everything was overwhelming to me. I rode slower than everyone else because the fastest that I' ve gone in the street at that time was no more that the speed limit. During the class session the coaches would talk about certain turns and to look for the cones, but when I was on the track, I would become confused as to where to go because I was too busy looking for the cones, and I would miss the cones because I was trying to figure out where I was.

I knew I was supposed to look at where I wanted to go.

Overtime I became more confident. I started going the most 120mph on the straight only to press hard on the brake at turn 1 and take it at maybe 50mph.

May 25th: TPM, I went of the track at turn 1. I pressed the front brake on the dirt, highsided and hurt my thumb. I was out for 3 months.

Sep 7th: TPM, I went off the track twice in turn 1 because of fear.

Sep 28th: TPM, T-Bolt. I was not fast and I was having difficulties with the chicane , turn 5, turn 7 thru 11. I was exhauted but I did not crash or go off the track, therefore, I had a great day.

Oct 5th: Absolute Cycle, Lighting, first track day with a different club for $125 they offered free classroom session for first time riders at the track and whoever wants to sit in. no crash and I didn't go off the track. I had a good experience

I noticed a big difference between the coaches at TPM and AC. While on the track one of AC coaches got in front of me, tapped her helmet and stucked her head out in the direction she was going, and at the next turn she did it again, so I stuck my head out and she gave me a thumb up. I look for her afterward and thank her.

AC coaches looked for slow riders that they could help by having the rider following them at a comfortable pace. From my experience, I feel that some TPM coaches are in it for the joy ride. They just want to go fast.

For example, I would pass a slower group of riders with a control rider. The control rider would leave those slower riders only to get in front of me, tapped his bike for me to follow him, and then disappeared.
If you are going to help me maybe you should look behind you to see If I'm still there. I learned not to follow you guys when you go at a pace that is uncomfortable to me. Is this to show me that I'm not fast? Trust me, I know I'm slow!

Only one coach help me from TPM and that was Rich E. On the 7th of Sep after my second incident, he told me to work on my throttle control. He also told me that I was looking dangerous to myself and others .(I could take that kind of tough love and yelling with sound good advice anytime).

Oct 10th and 11th: Those were good days. I still didn't know what I was doing but I didn't crashed.

Nov 2nd: I crashed ended my day.

nov 15th: I had a great day. After recieving and watching my twist of the wrist II DVD I knew about my Survival Reactions. I actually had an idea of what I was doing wrong. I finally had an answer to my questions, why wasn't the bike going the direction I wanted it to go when I was hanging off, I knew it was because of my lazy steering. Buying that DVD was the best investment I've made towards my riding hobby. I just wish I had it at the begining of the season.

I crashed only because I didn't know what I was doing. But even the pros crash ( Valentino Rossi, Joge Lorenzo, Pedroso and so on). If they had a choice of not crashing and crashing they would pick not crashing. Oh! There's a picture of a control rider crashing at the SBImage web site. May be you should discuss control riders crashing instead of riders.

some of the coaches obseved some of those crashes. Instead of bashing the riders that crashed, maybe you could discuss why the riders crashed and give advice on how to prevent it (riding technics).

you guys call yourselves coaches, well coach! Help the guy who highsided and ended up unconscious at the Hospital not knowing what had happened
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Jersey Motorsports = Another Track Builder Gets It Wrong Racer997 Taking it to the Track 10 07-23-2009 07:19 AM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
logan5

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2001 SV 650 (my track ), 2005 SV 650s

coaches/instructors ... make or break the trackday experience for beginners and intermediates ...
Old 11-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

That guy shouldn't be riding.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
coaches/instructors ... make or break the trackday experience for beginners and intermediates ...
I agree!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:

I didnt recieve hardly any Instruction my first Track Day and it nearly ruined the Day for me. I was sooo frustrated because I could not figure out how to disect the turns properly and add speed.
Im really happy for you and Im going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

But, riders need to ask questions as well. IF your unsure of what your doing then ask..........you'll get more advice than you know what to do with at almost any track day.
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

Quote:
Werd. The one TD I did I had the privilege of working with Curt. Awesome instructor! Takes a vested interest in what you are doing and watches closely everything you do. Not saying other don't by any means, since he's the only one I've worked with. I would not have had as much fun though if he had not been as vested as he was.

Thanks, Curt!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob View Post
Werd. The one TD I did I had the privilege of working with Curt. Awesome instructor! Takes a vested interest in what you are doing and watches closely everything you do. Not saying other don't by any means, since he's the only one I've worked with. I would not have had as much fun though if he had not been as vested as he was.

Thanks, Curt!
+1
lanzer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badchev View Post
But, riders need to ask questions as well. IF your unsure of what your doing then ask..........you'll get more advice than you know what to do with at almost any track day.

The one complaint I've always had with all of the trackday instructors is how they pit: they all pit together with the racers. They all know each other very well. They're all bullshitting when they're not on the bikes. This poses 2 problems: 1. For timid/shy/unsure people, "breaking in" to this group is quite a daunting task when you have questions. 2. Its hard to tell who the instructors are when they're not in their gear!

If I were running a trackday organization I would split up the control riders/instructors, and make them pit all over the place as opposed to together as a clique with the racers. This, in my mind, would promote a lot more off-track Q&A.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Because he was new and hadn't ever ridden the track before?

My first time was daunting, yes, but we had instructors to follow, show us lines, and then correct what we were doing wrong. I don't see where he got any of that instruction until way late in that year....
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Badchev
Slow

Bike(s):
'01 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
The one complaint I've always had with all of the trackday instructors is how they pit: they all pit together with the racers. They all know each other very well. They're all bullshitting when they're not on the bikes. This poses 2 problems: 1. For timid/shy/unsure people, "breaking in" to this group is quite a daunting task when you have questions. 2. Its hard to tell who the instructors are when they're not in their gear!

If I were running a trackday organization I would split up the control riders/instructors, and make them pit all over the place as opposed to together as a clique with the racers. This, in my mind, would promote a lot more off-track Q&A.
Very good point, I agree 100%
Badchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post

yea that too. Im one of those shy people. I know its stupid but sometimes im hesitant to ask questions in the middle of a big pack of seasoned guys.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:56 PM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob View Post
yea that too. Im one of those shy people. I know its stupid but sometimes im hesitant to ask questions in the middle of a big pack of seasoned guys.
As am I. In fact, even now that I know several of the instructors I STILL won't ask for help because I feel bad interrupting them when they're BSing with their trackpals.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 PM   #14
nchristie

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph Tiger 800

Why not?

Quote:
Why shouldn't he be riding? He paid his money for a track day, and that includes coaches - instructors. They need to coach - instruct. With some 1:1 training, instruction, etc. he'll probably learn fast - , he's clearly taking it seriously - watching the videos, and sticking with it WAY beyond what a lot of people would do. Just needs leadership.

Neil
nchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
no common sense I agree with you he needed a dirtbike to learn how to look thruogh the turns.

track day org should have pulled him off after first time going off track.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Jeff

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX650F

oof! Not a post I wanted to see the day after I sign up for my first track day. :-(
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
oof! Not a post I wanted to see the day after I sign up for my first track day. :-(
Nothing to be worried about. That is unless you signed up for TWS (Texas World Speedway)....
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #18
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

That guy reminded me of an older guy back in the day at SpringSportbike, he was terrible at the track, just doing nonsese stuff, endangering others, and on top getting mad at the other riders, I believe he even threaten someone at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
Jeff

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GSX650F

ummmmm....