MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #81
HtownStunta

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 Honda Spree

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
There are better ways of communicating information. One doesn't have to be an acerbic nor pompous in order to help. Oh wait, that's right perhaps the purpose isn't actually to help with the more obnoxious posts, maybe it's a thinly veiled attempt to demostrate knowledge.

Why is it that the rudest people on the board seem to think they know the most yet hand out some of the worst technical advice? Further they are rarely the fastest or most skilled.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why you need to re-evaluate your riding if you EVER run wide RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 60 10-22-2012 06:24 PM
Riding For Veterans Run The Sooz Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-29-2011 02:00 AM
SUCK IT LONG, SUCK IT HARD AGGIES!!! HoustonGixxer Sports 50 12-01-2009 01:26 PM
I did not realize... tyme2move Off Topic 17 11-07-2008 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #82
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
see, this is the kind of stuff i was looking for. thank you. maybe i am coming into the corners too hot, but i am doing some corners on 3090 at half the speed i could before... i guess its just a mental block. ive been getting better, it just still sucks. and to whoever said something about being a new rider, ive been riding streetbikes for over 5 yrs now and mopeds/dirtbikes and whatnot long before that, so im not sure what exactly constitutes being a new rider. im not saying im an expert by any means (not by a long shot), but i feel as though i know some things.
i hear ya man... but i've had first time students at the track who've ridden street for 20 years...

not picking on you or anybody else here - k - but i have seen time and time again that the street teaches bad habbits...

there are things that you simply cannot study on the open road as well as on a track... all schools focus on the elements of a turn - the entry, the apex and the exit...

and while we all have our preferences on which track day you should go to - we all uniformly agree - that YOU (street riders looking to become better riders) would likely benefit from this teaching...

it might just save your life...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #83
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
and to whoever said something about being a new rider, ive been riding streetbikes for over 5 yrs now and mopeds/dirtbikes and whatnot long before that, so im not sure what exactly constitutes being a new rider. im not saying im an expert by any means (not by a long shot), but i feel as though i know some things.
i said you've handicapped yourself like a new rider becuase of your crash. you can and prolly will get back to where you were skill wise (good or bad) after time on the seat.

things that would help you get there quicker: trackday and better bike for learning........a beginner bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #84
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
i hear ya man... but i've had first time students at the track who've ridden street for 20 years...

not picking on you or anybody else here - k - but i have seen time and time again that the street teaches bad habbits...

there are things that you simply cannot study on the open road as well as on a track... all schools focus on the elements of a turn - the entry, the apex and the exit...

and while we all have our preferences on which track day you should go to - we all uniformly agree - that YOU (street riders looking to become better riders) would likely benefit from this teaching...

Thanks for chiming in Henry.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 AM   #85
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
after the crash he's afraid of his bike. pure and simple. i had a kid who ran his r1 (yes first bike) into a wall before taking MSF, in class he was afraid of giving the 125's too much gas..........

and w/ the sharp steering geometry of these bikes and them wanting to "drop" in like they do, it's gonna take alot of miles to overcome that fear.

now if he had a more relaxed bike (like a 250 or 500), he would build his confidence alot quicker.. he'sjust like a new rider. but worse becuase he's handicapped himself w/ the fear of the bike.
I have a buddy who crashed his litre bike and was very scared of it afterwards. He finally went out to the track and got hooked and is a FAR better rider than he was when I first met him.

It took me 3 Trackdays for the information from the Track Days to finally "click". I would suggest to anybody to do multiple Track Days instead of just 1. They get more enjoyable everytime you go
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:13 AM   #86
Gixxer-Joy
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
K8 GSXR-600 (The Pearl)

User is banned

Gixxer-Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #87
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

Quote:
see, this is the kind of stuff i was looking for. thank you. maybe i am coming into the corners too hot, but i am doing some corners on 3090 at half the speed i could before... i guess its just a mental block. ive been getting better, it just still sucks. and to whoever said something about being a new rider, ive been riding streetbikes for over 5 yrs now and mopeds/dirtbikes and whatnot long before that, so im not sure what exactly constitutes being a new rider. im not saying im an expert by any means (not by a long shot), but i feel as though i know some things.
This guys a squid...true story

I ride with travis all the time and have learned a lot from him. i also know hes one of the few people out there that know they can handle their own and ride but never gloat or show it or talk down on less experienced riders.

And i know where your coming from, i still hesitate on 3090 on the same turn i went down on. Then again i didn't go through a wall
Silent636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #88
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post

look i entirely agree with you. i think some track days are in order. again, this is the kind of stuff i was looking to hear.

and racerx i get what you meant now. and like i said a few track days are in order for sure. but i am sticking with my liter bike.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #89
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
look i entirely agree with you. i think some track days are in order. again, this is the kind of stuff i was looking to hear.

and racerx i get what you meant now. and like i said a few track days are in order for sure. but i am sticking with my liter bike.
Wanna ride 3090 sunday? I'm down.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #90
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

Quote:

*Cough* 28th go register level 2 gogo NOW ridesmart.info even get the dad to run....i know u gots the gear gogo
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #91
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
oh snaps! can i come too!?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #92
ThomAss
I like to ride

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
oh snaps! can i come too!?
3's a crowd
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #93
switch
two fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomAss View Post
3's a crowd

...i bet you run wide a lot dontcha!?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #94
ThomAss
I like to ride

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post

...i bet you run wide a lot dontcha!?
129 times and counting
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #95
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

Quote:
If i am not in houston for my (getting old yet again day) i'll sweep for yall
Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #96
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:

np... only you can decide what you're most comfortable on...

but if you DID decide to go to a smaller bike - believe me you would NOT be the first... either way though - it's all up to you...

litre bike issues aside... there are a TON of things more you can do... trail brake with the front... trail brake with the rear... lean it harder... 'gas it' - to take some of the load off of the forks and allow the suspension to do more of what it's supposed to do... get off the seat more... learn to use conventional body positioning to allow you to steer better mid-corner... adjust your braking markers... heck - there's even suspension and tire considerations... 'dropping your forks' in the trees... playing with rake/trail of the bike... tire pressures... the list goes on and on... it's allllll dependent on your riding style and your riding ability...

again there's a literally a TON of things you can do...

but you are essentially trying to learn how to go faster...

& the best place place to do this is at a track day...

trust me - the street is no place to be testing braking markers...

focus on getting more track time - make THAT the answer to your question...

again it really might just save your life...

ride safe man
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #97
switch
two fifty

^ don't listen to SBK, all he knows about going fast is confined to moto GP 07 for xbox.
CMRA #250
Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #98
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
I felt the same way when I joined. But now that the offtopic section doesnt come up with "new post" this place is noticeably more informative. Sure...you have the people that have done a few track days and think they know it all. You have ones that have 20+ years of experience and think they know it all too. There is a perceived hierarchy here but that is all it is...perceived.

Knowing Chase, I dont think he fits any of those categories. The guy is an intelligent dude and knows the information. Is he harsh, combative? Sure. Doesn he rub people the wrong way? Sure.

For me.. slow down and learn to ride was probably a poor choice of words. He could have said something more along the lines of, "Slow down a bit before you hurt yourself and who really cares if the 600's are eating you up in the corners? Do a few track days, ride in a controlled environment, get familiar with your bikes characteristics, learn to handle it a bit better and you'll be handing those guys their in no time."

Wanna see some dickheads? Get some of those off topic guys in here and they'll be ragging you telling you that you're gonna kill yourself and never should have bought a 1000 in the first place, especially if 600's are kicking your , on the streets. And if guys, on 600's, that dont do track days are clowning you, in the corners, then in all honestly, there is work to be done...on your part.

I know that the time before the last time I crashed, it took me a good 2 hours of seat time before I began to trust myself and my bike again. I lowsided and for 6 sessions on the track I kept feeling liek I was going to lose my front again. Finally towards the end of the day, I had my mojo back. Some people it takes longer..some people quicker. But you have to regain the confidence you lost. Riding without confidence, IMO, is just as dangerous as riding overly confident. There is a balance that you/I have to find.

And the mob mentality here, is fkn ghey. Everyone ganging up on one perceived "E-Thug" and becoming an "E-Gang" on said "E-Thug" is just as ghey as being an "E-Thug" in the first place.
Finally a good response to Trav's question.

I've been riding over 20 years, and I am nowhere near as fast as some guys who have been riding less than 5 years. I too, however, believe it is more mental, as I have alot to lose if I get hurt or go down. I know how fearless I was 20 yrs ago, and I was very athletic and fast, with very quick reflexes. 20+ years later, I know I am not that person anymore, and I am not as quick as I used to be. I think that is what's holding me back. Then I see guys like Brandt and Maxgs, more in my age group, not holding back and pushing themselves to the limit, and it inspires me to take initiative to overcome my self-imposed barriers.

I know I need to hit the track more to get over my mental blocks, and improve my skills. So I think the track will be your best outlet, Trav, to overcoming your fears, as well. I do believe, as has been proven, that going to the track will improve your skills, which will re-build your confidence... and as your confidence gets re-buildt, so will your mental block be neutralized. I plan on doing more trackays next year to get me where I know I can be, and get over my mental hang-ups which are holding me back. I think it will do the same for you.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #99
chase
LOCTITE

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

I'm gonna address people invidually and don't feel like multi-quoting

Brandt - thank you, thats what I meant to say but obviously bc I don't sugarcoat things, people think I'm just making fun of them instead of actually trying to help them. I AM an , and I'm ok with that.

faster321 - I am not sure what 'business class' you are referring to, as I haven't been to any classes whatsoever in almost 3 years. Wrong Chase maybe? I have only been in one wreck, and it was at the track, so your talks of multiple wrecks and situations leads me to believe you've got the wrong guy. I hear there are others out there...

thetrav - I see that you took my words as more attacking than helpful, and for that I apologize. I meant what Brandt said, he is more personable than me, I work in a shop where you learn to be blunt and tough-skinned, that has obviously worked its way into my outside conversations and people get offended bc they aren't used to that.

Curt - I apologize to you for not engaging in your 12 year old e-battle, you can talk online in PM all day long, then stalk my posts to attack me all you want, yet never uttering a word to anyone in person. Go ahead, PM me, say something on this thread trying to belittle me so I can have a good laugh, I've said what I have to say, see you around big guy
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #100
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
I'm gonna address people invidually and don't feel like multi-quoting

thetrav - I see that you took my words as more attacking than helpful, and for that I apologize. I meant what Brandt said, he is more personable than me, I work in a shop where you learn to be blunt and tough-skinned, that has obviously worked its way into my outside conversations and people get offended bc they aren't used to that.
Yeah, I actually saw your answer to be more blunt than anything else. I got your message, and Brandt just helped to clarify it in a more descriptive manner. Maybe you guys should be a tag team!
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement