MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #61
faster321
i loop spreader circles

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
(2)XR100
RM250 (no longer in my possession)

Send a message via AIM to faster321 Send a message via MSN to faster321 Send a message via Yahoo to faster321
and Chase this is Chris from your business class, (last semester) now your cool and all but dude lay off on people on the internet! gets on my nerves bad.... we all know what happened with you so, there is no need for you to talk down on everyone else.... and just like that no hard feelings just trying to get a point across, you heard my situation and I know about your wrecks, just constructive criticism is all I ask, no need for talking necessary.....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why you need to re-evaluate your riding if you EVER run wide RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 60 10-22-2012 06:24 PM
Riding For Veterans Run The Sooz Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-29-2011 02:00 AM
SUCK IT LONG, SUCK IT HARD AGGIES!!! HoustonGixxer Sports 50 12-01-2009 01:26 PM
I did not realize... tyme2move Off Topic 17 11-07-2008 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #62
maxgs

Member Garage

Ha ha ha ha. Nice theme going here. Maybe the self annointed expert will take a hint.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM   #63
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
true story. U can read up and watch videos regarding riding technique but your best bet is to make your way to the track. I think of the track as the next stage past the advanced msf. Everyone should try it once.
I know this has been debated in previous threads and how not everyone can "afford" to go to the track. But IMO it's money very well spent. You can really find out what you and the bike are able to do. I highly advise it as well to any new rider that wants to ride agressive (not condoning that) on the street. It will save a lot of pain and grief.

I've always been hard headed. Went wide on 149 when I started riding about 4 yrs ago and broke my foot and ankle in 7 places. 9 screws and a plate later and about 3 months out of commish I learned my lesson. It was a perfect day with a perfect road. No ones fault but my own. And I was trying to stay up with the two guys ahead of me that were screaming down the road. I learned a lot from that day. I bought a couple of books, watched plenty of vids and took a track day soon after. I still suck just not as bad. I look back on that day and all I would have really needed to do was push on the bar just a little and I would never have crashed. I didn't look through the corner, I locked up my arms and stared at the crash spot. All big no noes when riding. Needless to say I don't practice those bad habits any longer.

Learn lessons now while it's easy. Not when you crash.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #64
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

For me, it takes mental focus.

If im going wide my brain goes "hey man, we're going to crash right there, into that wall, check it out, its going to hurt. right there. stare at it. yeahhh." and i have to ignore that and adjust speed, lean, press, and look through the turn thinking "ummm no, the apex is over there, lets do that instead."

changing my focus has worked so far, every time i get into that spot its always a mental wall instead of an actual problem, except for once or twice i was simple going to fast and went way wider than i safely should have. That scared the out of me.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #65
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobounds View Post
For me, it takes mental focus.

If im going wide my brain goes "hey man, we're going to crash right there, into that wall, check it out, its going to hurt. right there. stare at it. yeahhh." and i have to ignore that and adjust speed, lean, press, and look through the turn thinking "ummm no, the apex is over there, lets do that instead."

changing my focus has worked so far, every time i get into that spot its always a mental wall instead of an actual problem, except for once or twice i was simple going to fast and went way wider than i safely should have. That scared the out of me.
Werd
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #66
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
all i asked was a simple question. i explained my situation, and asked for any input that might help me fix my problem or at least attempt to fix my problem. i thought this forum was more like psychobike when i joined it (you know, where people ask questions, and educated people responded) but to my surprise, there are only an elite few on this forum. there are the guys who know what they are doing, and the guys who ride the keyboard. if you dont have anything of value to add in response to my original question, just keep it to yourself.
I felt the same way when I joined. But now that the offtopic section doesnt come up with "new post" this place is noticeably more informative. Sure...you have the people that have done a few track days and think they know it all. You have ones that have 20+ years of experience and think they know it all too. There is a perceived hierarchy here but that is all it is...perceived.

Knowing Chase, I dont think he fits any of those categories. The guy is an intelligent dude and knows the information. Is he harsh, combative? Sure. Doesn he rub people the wrong way? Sure.

For me.. slow down and learn to ride was probably a poor choice of words. He could have said something more along the lines of, "Slow down a bit before you hurt yourself and who really cares if the 600's are eating you up in the corners? Do a few track days, ride in a controlled environment, get familiar with your bikes characteristics, learn to handle it a bit better and you'll be handing those guys their in no time."

Wanna see some dickheads? Get some of those off topic guys in here and they'll be ragging you telling you that you're gonna kill yourself and never should have bought a 1000 in the first place, especially if 600's are kicking your , on the streets. And if guys, on 600's, that dont do track days are clowning you, in the corners, then in all honestly, there is work to be done...on your part.

I know that the time before the last time I crashed, it took me a good 2 hours of seat time before I began to trust myself and my bike again. I lowsided and for 6 sessions on the track I kept feeling liek I was going to lose my front again. Finally towards the end of the day, I had my mojo back. Some people it takes longer..some people quicker. But you have to regain the confidence you lost. Riding without confidence, IMO, is just as dangerous as riding overly confident. There is a balance that you/I have to find.

And the mob mentality here, is fkn ghey. Everyone ganging up on one perceived "E-Thug" and becoming an "E-Gang" on said "E-Thug" is just as ghey as being an "E-Thug" in the first place.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #67
Gixxer-Joy
Banned

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
K8 GSXR-600 (The Pearl)

User is banned

Gixxer-Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #68
ThomAss
I like to ride

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

Quote:
ive got a 03 gsxr1k with the suspension dialed in for me, re-valved with racetech springs, steering damper, mich pp 2cts, ebcHH pads, and more power than i probably need for the street (so a well tuned machine) and I CONSTANTLY run wide, often so wide i have to park it in the turns and risk running off... i DONT GET IT. i Never ran wide till my wreck last year... so im assuming its something in my head? what do i do? im getting owned in the turns by guys i taught to ride a yr ago on 600's...
What's probably happening is that you're thinking that you do not want to run off and you're not looking far enough through the turn. You're watching whats happening directly in front of you. Change your thought process and look further into the turn and concentrate on where the bike should be at the end of the corner.

I'm not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
ThomAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #69
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I felt the same way when I joined. But now that the offtopic section doesnt come up with "new post" this place is noticeably more informative. Sure...you have the people that have done a few track days and think they know it all. You have ones that have 20+ years of experience and think they know it all too. There is a perceived hierarchy here but that is all it is...perceived.

Knowing Chase, I dont think he fits any of those categories. The guy is an intelligent dude and knows the information. Is he harsh, combative? Sure. Doesn he rub people the wrong way? Sure.

For me.. slow down and learn to ride was probably a poor choice of words. He could have said something more along the lines of, "Slow down a bit before you hurt yourself and who really cares if the 600's are eating you up in the corners? Do a few track days, ride in a controlled environment, get familiar with your bikes characteristics, learn to handle it a bit better and you'll be handing those guys their in no time."

Wanna see some dickheads? Get some of those off topic guys in here and they'll be ragging you telling you that you're gonna kill yourself and never should have bought a 1000 in the first place, especially if 600's are kicking your , on the streets. And if guys, on 600's, that dont do track days are clowning you, in the corners, then in all honestly, there is work to be done...on your part.

I know that the time before the last time I crashed, it took me a good 2 hours of seat time before I began to trust myself and my bike again. I lowsided and for 6 sessions on the track I kept feeling liek I was going to lose my front again. Finally towards the end of the day, I had my mojo back. Some people it takes longer..some people quicker. But you have to regain the confidence you lost. Riding without confidence, IMO, is just as dangerous as riding overly confident. There is a balance that you/I have to find.

And the mob mentality here, is fkn ghey. Everyone ganging up on one perceived "E-Thug" and becoming an "E-Gang" on said "E-Thug" is just as ghey as being an "E-Thug" in the first place.
After getting back into bicycles, I reregistered my account on bikeforums.net, you think MH has haters... No, MH is the friendliest place on the interwebz compaired to bikeforums

Anyway, yeah good post. Don't see to many helpful posts like that, that often
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #70
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

after the crash he's afraid of his bike. pure and simple. i had a kid who ran his r1 (yes first bike) into a wall before taking MSF, in class he was afraid of giving the 125's too much gas..........

and w/ the sharp steering geometry of these bikes and them wanting to "drop" in like they do, it's gonna take alot of miles to overcome that fear.

now if he had a more relaxed bike (like a 250 or 500), he would build his confidence alot quicker.. he'sjust like a new rider. but worse becuase he's handicapped himself w/ the fear of the bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #71
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
After getting back into bicycles, I reregistered my account on bikeforums.net, you think MH has haters... No, MH is the friendliest place on the interwebz compaired to bikeforums

Anyway, yeah good post. Don't see to many helpful posts like that, that often
MH is friendly. Friendly as a box of gay puppies.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #72
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Wurd Big Burd
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #73
Gixxer-Joy
Banned

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
K8 GSXR-600 (The Pearl)

User is banned

Gixxer-Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #74
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post

They hate on your b/c you're a wanna be hippy!

Lets ride Fool!
First off, fck hippies

Just cuz I ride fixed gear don't make me no goddurn hippy!

I'm ready! Bring it!
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #75
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
yes i have done a trackday, it was a few years back, and perhaps i do need to get some more practice, maybe i need a lot more practice (probably the latter). the ride isnt the problem, the rider is the problem (i think i stated that in the original post), i was asking what i should do to overcome whatever it is that is holding me back now that wasnt holding me back before. and explain to me how to brake properly when running too wide?
if you're running wide maybe you're coming into the turn to hot. are you setting up your corner entry speed before the turn? if you do run wide, you could apply front brake, or smoothly roll off the throttle. both will act to slow you down, the slowing will load up the front suspension and change the bike geometry and make it easier to turn in. trade acceleration for more lean angle. i'm still learning myself, but maybe someone else can explain better. cdill, chase, curt would be good candidates =)
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #76
maxgs

Member Garage

There are better ways of communicating information. One doesn't have to be an acerbic nor pompous in order to help. Oh wait, that's right perhaps the purpose isn't actually to help with the more obnoxious posts, maybe it's a thinly veiled attempt to demostrate knowledge.

Why is it that the rudest people on the board seem to think they know the most yet hand out some of the worst technical advice? Further they are rarely the fastest or most skilled.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #77
Silent636
It's called a 6'Dirty'6

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06 ZX-636 (Stolen)
EX-500 (Sold)
00 Aprilia RSV Mille

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster321 View Post
It's cool, I really don't have a problem with people talking (of course you and zackers would know) as long as they know you and ain't some two bit douche turtle who, gets off to talking to people he doesn't know about how much they suck, I mean son go and ride and quit being a computer gangster!
Hey go get a bike tuff guy....
I j/k man:rofl :
Silent636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #78
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

5 star thread and Racer X approved!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #79
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
if you're running wide maybe you're coming into the turn to hot. are you setting up your corner entry speed before the turn? if you do run wide, you could apply front brake, or smoothly roll off the throttle. both will act to slow you down, the slowing will load up the front suspension and change the bike geometry and make it easier to turn in. trade acceleration for more lean angle. i'm still learning myself, but maybe someone else can explain better. cdill, chase, curt would be good candidates =)
see, this is the kind of stuff i was looking for. thank you. maybe i am coming into the corners too hot, but i am doing some corners on 3090 at half the speed i could before... i guess its just a mental block. ive been getting better, it just still sucks. and to whoever said something about being a new rider, ive been riding streetbikes for over 5 yrs now and mopeds/dirtbikes and whatnot long before that, so im not sure what exactly constitutes being a new rider. im not saying im an expert by any means (not by a long shot), but i feel as though i know some things.
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #80
ThomAss
I like to ride

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus