MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I came over a lil hill one night and realized that the road ended in a 'T' about 50 yds in front of me. I couldn't get stopped and rode through the woods.

I call that 'running a little straight.'

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why you need to re-evaluate your riding if you EVER run wide RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 60 10-22-2012 06:24 PM
Riding For Veterans Run The Sooz Events, Meets and Rides 3 04-29-2011 02:00 AM
SUCK IT LONG, SUCK IT HARD AGGIES!!! HoustonGixxer Sports 50 12-01-2009 01:26 PM
I did not realize... tyme2move Off Topic 17 11-07-2008 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #22
jrob
cheers

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
KTM 450 XC-F
DRZ 400 Kick/Motard Convert

The most recent time I ran wide was a few months back. I got the forest route from someone and went to ride it by myself since no one else wanted to go. I had never ridden it before, so I was taking it pretty easy...kinda. Anyway there was one turn on Honea Egypt that I guess snuck up on me, and I actually ended up over the double yellow, by a couple inches, but still. First time I've actually run that wide. I've run slightly wide within my lane before, but never over the line. Scared the out of me.
I slowed down the rest of the ride, and took it easy all the way to yankees or whatever that place is called.
That was my last ride. There were a lot of other factors, but that was the last time I rode street.
Went to the track and realized just how much I suck.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
dhdrider

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

I agree completely w/ you assessment Brandt. I also tend to think it even seeps over to the track. I think it's great for peeeps to "take it to the track." But I see people all the time (even on this forum) who have done like 5 trackdays and claim to have crashed at 3 of them. Thats a serious problem if you ask me. I know that the track is a place to push it a little, but if you've crashed 3 out of 5 times, I think there's a problem. You gotta slow it down to go fast.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #24
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
I agree completely w/ you assessment Brandt. I also tend to think it even seeps over to the track. I think it's great for peeeps to "take it to the track." But I see people all the time (even on this forum) who have done like 5 trackdays and claim to have crashed at 3 of them. Thats a serious problem if you ask me. I know that the track is a place to push it a little, but if you've crashed 3 out of 5 times, I think there's a problem. You gotta slow it down to go fast.
+1

it's not how many you do, its how many you complete in 1 piece.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #25
eltejano
I smell pretty

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2004 CBR600RR
2002 F4i
2003 CBR600RR track

Good write up. I went wide following someone in the hill country ONCE , and I mean all the way to the other line cause I got fixated as well.

We get passed by a truck in the next turn. I went pale when I saw it.

Long story short, I go to the track a lot now.
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
tejano? Rape me
eltejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #26
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Everyone's learning curve / ability to maintain focus is different.
While I agree that we should always be working on improving our skills, some people will advance at a different rate than others and therefore may run wide more frequently.
Hopefully it happens in a controlled environment like the track and not on a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #27
ducoop

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000 (Sold)

It took me 1 time before I backed off and starting focusing on skills.
ducoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #28
jcsanchez68

Bike(s):
DUCATI
DUCATI
BMW
Triumph
Aprilia

If it happens more than once you are ridding beyond your limits try finding new friends and do not try to catch up with the crazy fools and be part of the next "rip thread"
jcsanchez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #29
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

If anyone has ever gone wide I hope you CHILL or improve your skills at the track. I can say that the Track has saved my life. I was riding wrecklessly and out of control before I had any hint of skill what so ever.

I really hope that riders read this info, swallow their pride, and have a self reflection. We don't need riders going down when it can be prevented.

5 Star Thread!
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #30
Greg in H-town

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZZR600

I've run wide a couple of times, maybe three, and all were blind left turns. I was able to keep it in the lane and haven't run off (knock on wood), but seeing that guardrail get closer and closer is no fun. I think the problem I have with left curves is that I shy away from the center line to keep my head out of oncoming traffic if I can't see far enough through the turn. The times I ran wide were when I wasn't using enough of the lane to begin with, coupled with too much speed and a bad line.
Greg in H-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #31
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I ran wide on the exit ramp from 45 Nbound to 610 W bound and on 610 by the Post Oak turn, both when I first started. Since then, I just choose to ride a few notches slower til my skills appreciate. I still suck though lol
Old 11-17-2009, 04:08 AM   #32
Allen

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07' ZX6R

Ran wide on my first Sunday ride, and it instantly put me in check and I realized I was riding way over my head. I took it down a few notices for the rest of the right and for the next couple back road rights till felt confident of my own riding abilities.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #33
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

only twice do i remember having an issue on the street.

1st was when i first started riding, went on a ride w/ a bunch of the sw sport bikes on my cruiser. went way wide on one turn b/c i didn't lean in enough and then fixated on the side of the road. once i reminded myself to look through the turn (and slowed down a bit) i didn't have any more issues.

2nd was because i was coming up on a slower rider coming through a long right-hand turn. stood the bike up just a bit to move towards the center of the road (could see no cars coming for a loong way) but managed to hit one of the reflector bump things on the center line. scared the t out of me. that one taught me to be more aware of the people around me.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #34
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

ive got a 03 gsxr1k with the suspension dialed in for me, re-valved with racetech springs, steering damper, mich pp 2cts, ebcHH pads, and more power than i probably need for the street (so a well tuned machine) and I CONSTANTLY run wide, often so wide i have to park it in the turns and risk running off... i DONT GET IT. i Never ran wide till my wreck last year... so im assuming its something in my head? what do i do? im getting owned in the turns by guys i taught to ride a yr ago on 600's...
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 PM   #35
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Going back to my very first forest ride in ~mid 07...

Was riding with Hellfroze, Sixshooter and NEhoustoncbr (or whatever his sn is) I was a total noob to backroad racing and had NO "lean experiance" as all I rode with back then was stunters. Anyway, we take off down 149 and I'm running wide, blowing lines and flying into oncoming traffic nearly missing cars and getting killed all cuz I was trying to keep up. These guys knew the roads and knew what they were doing- I didn't.

Ramiro (hellfroze) turned around and sees I'm about to eat it so he slows down and uses hands signals to tell me about how fast to come in, you know... Waving hand up and down means slow down, sticking his knee out to show when he starts braking ect.

All and all I ran wide prolly 6 times that day... So my awnser is six lol
HAHA my first forest ride ( you where there) recently three or two months ago when we arrived at 3090 I was following caligone everybody stopped at the stop sign caligone went around the group I followed him since I was behind him the whole time well it turns into a instant slope I popped a wheelie and to my dismay cali's arm went out into a slow down motion I brought the bike down and realized I had a immediate turn to make after that I shut up and followed. He directed me th whole time was great to be on a new road with a tour guide saved my bike a new set of fairings. Need less to say I like to travel the road before antics.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #36
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

I did it twice when I first started riding (wide as in running into other lane).

They both had HUGE impacts on me and really made me slow down and go the speed limit the rest of the trip.

It should be an eye-opener because you realize you are not capable of stopping yourself from going head on.

But everyone is a noob at some point. I feel like I am a good, smart rider, yet I am still a noob to riding.

I think you are safer just knowing you are a noob, than being a noob but thinking you are a pro.

I ride wit a guy sometimes who thinks he is better than he is. He goes fast in turns, but cant control his bike slow at all.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #37
chase
LOCTITE

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trav View Post
ive got a 03 gsxr1k with the suspension dialed in for me, re-valved with racetech springs, steering damper, mich pp 2cts, ebcHH pads, and more power than i probably need for the street (so a well tuned machine) and I CONSTANTLY run wide, often so wide i have to park it in the turns and risk running off... i DONT GET IT. i Never ran wide till my wreck last year... so im assuming its something in my head? what do i do? im getting owned in the turns by guys i taught to ride a yr ago on 600's...
Slow down and learn how to ride
Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #38
The Trav
slowpoke

Experience: 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
Slow down and learn how to ride
really ?
I will not allow myself the weakness to lay aside responsibility of my actions to a higher power and write that weakness off as destiny. Vigilance, intelligence and discipline keep us alive out there.
-kib
Rest In Peace Chris Owens aka faster321, you will be missed...
The Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #39
ThomAss
I like to ride

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus