Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
bjaz54

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

flip up chin helmets

ive been wanting to get a modular/flip up chin helmet, but ive only seen a few models. does anyone have the scorpion exo 900 transformer helmet? if you do what are your thoughts on it?
bjaz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
O'chin the sharks house green600 The Circus 7 07-17-2015 04:27 PM
We hired a chin RojerLockless Sports 9 01-08-2014 01:12 PM
Track days and flip up helmets. hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 02-02-2010 08:01 PM
Flip-up Modular helmets Daily Triumph Gear Talk 23 01-12-2008 03:05 PM
flip, se_ryder, and guero on flip's new toy SE_Ryder122 Off Topic 26 12-03-2005 06:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

For modular look at either HJC, Shoei or Suomy depending on the shape of your head and whether you wear glasses or not.
If you come by we can properly size and evaluate you and get you properly fitted.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

from what i've read, 1 thing to look into is how the faceshield and lid connect, i think SHOEI has steel clasp where many othere have plastic.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
bjaz54

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2008 cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
For modular look at either HJC, Shoei or Suomy depending on the shape of your head and whether you wear glasses or not.
If you come by we can properly size and evaluate you and get you properly fitted.
thanks...im going to try to run up there saturday so thats a bet.
bjaz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
STX_ANDYBAT
STX 713-934-7770

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaz54 View Post
ive been wanting to get a modular/flip up chin helmet, but ive only seen a few models. does anyone have the scorpion exo 900 transformer helmet? if you do what are your thoughts on it?
I've got these in stock homie! Come by and check them out!
Old 11-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Inago

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2007 R6

I use one of the flip up Harley helmets (I know, I know haven't gotten around to getting a new one), and I really like the flip up design. The modular composition makes it really easy to put the helmet on and take it off with sunglasses on or not, but the problem I have with the helmet is that it doesn't have padding on the chin of the helmet. This wouldn't usually bother me because it tells you that these helmets do not offer chin protection, but what does bother me is the opening in the helmet left from not having those pads. This creates wind that enters the helmet from that opening, and that can dry out contacts very quickly.

Over all - like the flip up design for many reasons, but if they don't have padding on the chin, look into putting some there for the wind.
Inago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Eberry2001
The 5th Dimension

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha FZ6

Smile

I have a KBC modular with the metal clasp. No problems as of yet, love the ability to hock a luigi whenever i want
Eberry2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
MrT713
Grand Kushi

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 Track

just noticed this post... do flip ups offer any less protection than solid full face helmets? seems like a nice option to be able to flip, but in the event of a crash, would it flip up by itself? because that doesnt sound too appealing to have your face cheese grated on the street because you wanna be able to drink a soda or have a smoke without taking your lid off..
MrT713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Yes. You wont find modulars on the track.

I have three of them just from collection over time. The only one I ride with is an HJC. It fits me best and tends to be a favorite of my passengers so they can talk etc wo taking off the helmet, fix their hair etc etc.

There is considerable more weight, wind noise etc with them, but that's to be expected.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
GSXR_911
I'm awesome, mom said so

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R750 Black/Black

I have the Shoei Multitech II helmet and so far its a great helmet. The chin curtain helps with the wind quite a bit, and its very comfortable to wear.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I wad told these lids are only rated for crashs up to 100 mph. I know that's over the speed limit but most of us seem to speed on back roads.
I dont know who told you that lie...

Modular helmets are rated the same as any other. IIRC, there are a few which pass the Snell 2010 standard but dont quote me on that. I do know all of them sold in the US meet DOT standards, and most meet the ECE standard as well. Considering the ECE standards take into account speeds deep into the 100+ territory, I'd say whoever sold you that line about them only being rated for <100mph crashes is sadly misinformed.

Does a full face protect better? I'd have to say that depends. I'd rather be wearing a Multitech or Exo 900 than a full face I got off ebay for $30 made by someone I've never heard of.

They're heavier than a full face and slightly noisier yes. However, what the offer in return is a bit more comfort and flexibility especially for the long distance rider - which is ultimately what they are made for. Flip-ups are not really designed for the sport rider, but for the touring rider.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT713 View Post
just noticed this post... do flip ups offer any less protection than solid full face helmets? seems like a nice option to be able to flip, but in the event of a crash, would it flip up by itself? because that doesnt sound too appealing to have your face cheese grated on the street because you wanna be able to drink a soda or have a smoke without taking your lid off..
They offer the same protection as a full face, with the added bonus of not having to remove it to take a drink, for example.

Some of the cheaper ones MIGHT have the chin bar let go in a crash - but as long as you're dealing with a name you recognize and trust, you're pretty much good. Yes, some are better than others, but thats how it is with everything.

I'm a huge fan of the modular style, but then again, I'm the kind of rider they are made for. They're not designed with the sport rider in mind, but with the sport tourer. The guy that commutes on his ST1300 or takes off for an Iron run on his K1300S or FJR. The guy on the GSXR1000 on track day wasnt part of the equation.

No different really than the 3/4 length touring jackets made by so many companies. They're not designed for track day, they're made for longer distance riding.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #14
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

I believe the reason for flip ups having less protection is in the loss of crush zone due to the hinge mechanism. Older flip ups (haven't researched newer models) had a pivot right next to the temple. This pivot was thicker than the hinge mechanisms for just a face shield on full face helmets. This reduced the foam padding thickness. What this means in a crash is that impacts to the side of the head would have to decelerate the head in a shorter distance (higher impact to your noggin'). Some even had a nice point load for your temple (higher chance of hemorrhaging at your temple) which could make the least impact resistant portion of your head carry the highest force.
If poorly designed the hinge could come loose in a crash, but the better models should not have an issue. They still have a joint/segment which will reduce the loading capability of the shell, but you may well die from head trauma before your head is able to exceed the helmet's structural integrity.
I only ride and will only ride with a full face helmet. I spent almost 50K on this brain and happen to be rather partial to keeping it. I would like to destroy its capabilities with age and alcohol instead of impact trauma.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
spartandude
Custom User Title

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Ooh, pretty. They got around my concern by moving the hinge to an external pod that did not incroach into the helmet interior crush space. Also the hinge is really large and spread out so no point loading. Nice bit of Engineering there. The XS through M are Snell 2003 while they are currently trying to get all their line through the Snell 2010.

Of note; typical use is not Snell rated unless you double lock the flip up every time.

If I get a bike with less turbulence I think I may look into these.
My left eye turned into my skull and attempted to eat its way through my brain to escape the visual assault of stupidity. Awww , it just got to my Primary Motor Cortex. I can feeeeeeeeeeelllkknowqenf npnvpjw jwq uqvrp
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement