MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
S.D.W.
...Ready

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Your first CMRA Race

Lets hear stories of your first CMRA Race, (or any sportbike club)

Did you place around where you thought you would? Or was your goal to finish the race and see what is was like? I imagine this race is something you'll always remember so lets hear some stories!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CMRA Superstock A Race S.D.W. Event Pics and Vids 0 02-20-2014 11:26 AM
How many race in the CMRA? ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 21 08-29-2011 03:19 PM
Next year i will be doing my first cmra race thenextrossi Taking it to the Track 29 07-12-2009 03:11 PM
CMRA Race @ MSRH BlackWidow Taking it to the Track 19 07-10-2008 11:29 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
humanrace911

Feedback Rating: (0)

First roadrace. 1982. TWS (Texas World Speedway). It's raining. I get run into in turn 1 at the start. The black mark won't buff off my muffler. I got lapped. Before the race, I thought I was going to win. I still think that I'm going to win every time I go to the starting grid. I seldom do, but next time, I'll win, I'm sure.
humanrace911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

6 hour endurance at Cresson on my 2001 GSXR 600 in 2005. One set of tires. No crashes, placed somewhere in the middle, ran 1:27's clockwise, had an absolute blast. Best day of racing of my life, by far. Well worth the money, expense, time, travel, etc...

That was also my only CMRA big bike race. Although I did well and got my share of passes and small triumphs thru the day, I find mini racing to be as much fun and with far less personal risk. Got 3 kids to raise, like my health, and although I might be able to run competitive times, I just don't have the drive and I am actually scared of getting hurt.

Fellow racer John Broom is recovering slowly after his 250 get off at Cresson.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/gr...4144678&ref=mf It could have just as easily been me or any other racer.

Track days satisfy my urges these days.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Thanks for sharing guys.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

First roadrace was 2001/TWS (Texas World Speedway), but not with the CMRA. I did one weekend with the short lived RPM series that went up against the CMRA for a short while. RPM was an arm of WERA, but never had the staying power of the CMRA. (none do!)

Anyway, I'd been riding track days for a couple years already so I prepped my '99 Gixxer750 and entered my first race weekend (two sprints). It was a bitter-sweet weekend, but overall a total blast. Wearing my 'yellow shirt', I won the first race and thought I was the shizzle. I was leading my second race when I hit a false neutral going into T1 and ran off fast. I didn't crash, but rolled all the way to the far banking... scared tless.

It was still an awesome weekend, but I started racing the CMRA the following season where the competition faster and ultimately made me a better rider. I never won a race that year, but had my fair share of podiums. Good times.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
thecrow

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2003 R6

From a personal blog I wrote around that time (a little wordy with more detail about the weekend):

So, I just started out racing with the CMRA this year and I am totally stoked. My first two races were at Oak Hill Raceway and was it cold. We got there at 10pm on Thursday night just as the gates were closing. No lights to see and we still needed to set up our equipment. I believe the weather was in the low 30's that night; I was freezing. We are tent campers so that night there was no heat except for the blankets we had. In the middle of the night one side of the air mattress deflated so there were now to adults sharing one twin mattress; not the most pleasurable experience. The sun rose the next morning and it was time to get ready for my licensing course and trackday. I don't think the temperature got much above 40 F that day. The track was cold and so were my tires, but I passed my class and the trackday. Now all I had to do was not crash all weekend. Saturday came and went as Eric and I watched the endurance races. It was really neat to see those little bikes go so fast around the track. When the sun set Saturday night this time we were ready. We had the generator running and a space heater to keep us warm. It was really nice until at about 2am when I woke up with no heat. The generator had stopped running. So Eric got out of bed in the freezing cold to restart the generator, which we found out, ran out of gas. Thank goodness becuase I wasn't about to freeze one more night out there. Sunday came and it was time for me to race. I ran in the Novice Sprints with my Yamaha R6. The first race I was in was the Class B Superstock which includes 750cc bikes (bigger than mine) so I was a litte intimidated, and I let the intimidation get the best of me. With cold tires and an even colder track; pushing harder didn't not mean my tires would stick any better. So, I crashed in turn 6. Not a bad one, but I hit my head pretty hard and I was a little out of it for a minute. I rode my bike back to the pits to see the damage. The bike needed new pegs and a bar end; not to bad. So we fixed the bike so I could go back out. After lunch I went back out this time in Class C Superstock which is the same cc engines as mine. I didn't get last, but I didn't wreck either so all in all I think I did rather good. Oak Hill was technical and fun and I am really glad I got to ride there.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

Great stories guys, thanks for sharing