MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Timing Calibrator ????

Can someone explain to me in simple words what the positive of having this does ?

here a link to what im talking about

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...0--644279.html
lanzer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cain goes full part 2. overload Chris24 The Circus 2 11-02-2011 09:43 PM
...look at this on youtube gsxr'stunna General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 11-14-2009 01:52 PM
CL , Please tell me this is no one here Mark06gsxr General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 09-10-2009 07:42 AM
Timing Eliminator / Gixxer K8 maxgs Taking it to the Track 25 07-03-2008 09:09 AM
I'm officially a specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 06-28-2008 09:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
zimmer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Honda CBR 1000
2010 Honda Sabre

Research TRE (timing eliminator)
You will find how to do it yourself and save the money. Suzuki retards the timing in 1-3 gears, thus making the bike less responsive. The mod makes the bike think it is in a higher gear there by taking away the retardation. Read up on it. There is a lot of info on the net about this mod.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

These are usually called TRE's. Timing eliminator. For various reasons, sportbike manufactures the timing of bikes in particular gears to affect performance. Lower gears to help tame the bike and, supposedly, 6th gear as part of the 300 kph limiter. A TRE fools the bike into thinking it's in fifth gear all of the time, eliminating those changes.

-Curt
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

As Curt stated, it makes the bike think it's in 5th all of the time, thereby running the 5th gear timing map.

Unless you use an XTRE or similar, you'll also lose your factory gear position indicator function.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
As Curt stated, it makes the bike think it's in 5th all of the time, thereby running the 5th gear timing map.

Unless you use an XTRE or similar, you'll also lose your factory gear position indicator function.
What the advantage of running in a 5th Gear timing map?
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
What the advantage of running in a 5th Gear timing map?
i was just fixing to ask that.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

The advantage is, supposedly, that the timing down in the lower gears to tame the bike is removed, resulting in a bike with more power. And, some say it enables the bike to exceed 300 kph.

Now, in reality, most of the really fast guys say the performance increase in neglibile. If you want a definitive answer, ask somebody like ZXAlan or one of the guys that runs the texas mile. I'd believe those guys much more than somebody who "thinks" it helped.

-Curt
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #8
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
The advantage is, supposedly, that the timing down in the lower gears to tame the bike is removed, resulting in a bike with more power. And, some say it enables the bike to exceed 300 kph.

Now, in reality, most of the really fast guys say the performance increase in neglibile. If you want a definitive answer, ask somebody like ZXAlan or one of the guys that runs the texas mile. I'd believe those guys much more than somebody who "thinks" it helped.

-Curt
thanks, so these are not used on bikes that ride road courses. aka trackdays?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
maxgs

Member Garage

JSD makes a TRE for the gixxers that keeps the gear change indicator working. Quite a while ago, I was toying with buying one. I had an email exchange with Motty, the JRE guy.

I asked a very specific question about whether the JSD TRE would enable my bike to make more power in 6th gear. Here is what he said...

"My answer to that question was meant to be this: "I think if you change up from 5th to 6th at redline, then you hit the top speed limitter right away. This will be eliminated by the JSD Pro. The power in 6th will not change just you will be able to rev the engine out to the same limit as in the lower gears if it has the power."

So once more, you won't get more power in 5-6 gears. In 6th gears you will be able to reach the engine rev limit, instead of the lower top speed limitter. So if your engine has the power (because it is modified) then it will be able to rev completely out in 6th too.

motty
"

Last edited by maxgs; 11-06-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanzer913 View Post
thanks, so these are not used on bikes that ride road courses. aka trackdays?
Yes, these are all the really big power guys. They know the ins and outs of what works and they test on dynos and pay very particular attention to top end speed as well at ETs and Traps at the quarter mile. They know what makes power.

It's also a good idea to ask some of the fast racers. I'm curious if they use them too, however, I suspect not.

-Curt
Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #11
maxgs

Member Garage

Here is the JSD website... http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_I...o/jsd-pro.html

They say.... "Suzuki manufactures motorcycles with a different ignition map for each gear. In the lower gears, the ignition timing is retarded. The JSD sends a signal to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which eliminates the ignition and enables a more responsive throttle and faster acceleration in the lower gears.

The JSD Pro preserves the selected gear signal and the Gear Position Indicator (GPI) will display the current gear correctly."
Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #12
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Healtech XTRE does the same.
Many top speed users run them as a means to bypass the 6th gear ECU regulated 186 mph limiter.

Many drag racers use them to get a better launch from 1st, as it's timing is a bit retarded as well, however there's mixed opinions on it's benefit in the drag world.

Most road racers I work with do not use them.

On the ZX14's and Concours it also opens the secondary butterflies earlier / faster.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Healtech XTRE does the same.
Many top speed users run them as a means to bypass the 6th gear ECU regulated 186 mph limiter.

Many drag racers use them to get a better launch from 1st, as it's timing is a bit retarded as well, however there's mixed opinions on it's benefit in the drag world.

Most road racers I work with do not use them.

On the ZX14's and Concours it also opens the secondary butterflies earlier / faster.
Thanks for the explaination. Sounds like this would be a mod for Top Speed Racers and not Track guys??
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
lanzer913
Cool Story Bro

Bike(s):
08 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Here is the JSD website... http://www.jsdproducts.com/Product_I...o/jsd-pro.html

They say.... "Suzuki manufactures motorcycles with a different ignition map for each gear. In the lower gears, the ignition timing is retarded. The JSD sends a signal to the Electronic Control Unit (ECU) which eliminates the ignition and enables a more responsive throttle and faster acceleration in the lower gears.

The JSD Pro preserves the selected gear signal and the Gear Position Indicator (GPI) will display the current gear correctly."
thanks curt.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Im not in those classes by any means, but my throttle seemed a bit more crisp when I installed the TRE on the busa. Seemed the same after half throttle.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

lol a calibrator
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
Thanks for the explaination. Sounds like this would be a mod for Top Speed Racers and not Track guys??
Reading the JSD info, they say better throttle response and faster acceleration in the lower gears.... sounds applicable to the track.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #18
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

yes it helps with thottle , not so much for power

you know how your bike in low gears around town has that choppy feal, this fixes that by changeing the timeing as described,,

it makes the bike think its in 5ths so the timeing is no longer retarted, and it removes the top speed limiter , but

the - being in 5th gear all the time you loose the small diff in fuel mapping as well ! you will be runnning a 5th gear fuel map,

it dont realy hert but it will run a little diff at idle ex ,

i have a newer style but its only for the limiter , no timeing retarding , and it only works when i go in to 6th, and i can see it on my gear indecator, shifts up to 6th and then flipps back to 5th ,any how keep looking

in my op , i have had one on my 06 busa ,,,,,, they are great for fixing the thottle at low end speeds , as far as the speed limeter , how offten are you going to hit over 180?

i would not get one if you dont realy know what they are for or why you would wont it ,

Last edited by H2447INTX; 11-06-2009 at 07:12 PM.
H2447INTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
H2447INTX
H2447INTX-he is legendary

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 kingquad 750axi
08 H.D.Softail Deluxe

Member Garage

this is what i got

the Boost By Smith De-Restrictor

http://boostbysmith.com/highgain.html
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Heath, I snagged a gear indicator w built in Tre.
It has a neutral setting so I never use the Tre.
I tried it once and all itdid was suck gas! If u want more power get a 1000. Seriously. I was gonna try it out for the top speed cutout bypass but istill have stock midpipe so no go.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement