MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
That never heals right so don't worry about it.
How true! My shoulder still isn't right and my finger will forever be permanently crooked! But Tony is one tough ! He rode broken while I cried on the sidelines!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone thinking what im thinking ?? JRxGRUBZx Off Topic 33 11-19-2008 07:21 PM
so i got to thinking Romeo36 Taking it to the Track 19 10-16-2008 08:32 PM
Thinking about getting this Abbas_Raza Performance and Modifications 7 05-10-2008 01:27 PM
just thinking CarbonJames General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 09-15-2006 07:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
How true! My shoulder still isn't right and my finger will forever be permanently crooked! But Tony is one tough ! He rode broken while I cried on the sidelines!
Riding broken is part of the sport.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #23
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Riding broken is part of the sport.
Only for tough folks....... which I never claimed to be!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

What ever happened to going racing for fun? I am planning on getting my license in February and going racing. I want to race endurance, but have to do sprints first per the CMRA. Is it just my perspective as I'm 41 and want to go race and cross another thing off my list? Am I wrong to just want to take part and have a laugh along the way?

My take on that bloke's story is that he is both broke and slow...........
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #25
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
What ever happened to going racing for fun? I am planning on getting my license in February and going racing. I want to race endurance, but have to do sprints first per the CMRA. Is it just my perspective as I'm 41 and want to go race and cross another thing off my list? Am I wrong to just want to take part and have a laugh along the way?

My take on that bloke's story is that he is both broke and slow...........
race mini then you can race endurance the next year.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:16 AM   #26
Dwyatt

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

Good, blunt article that most young trackday only guys should read and take to heart. I was an expert level MX racer back in the '70's, even got my AMA license one year just for grins (had my handed to me every race :( ). I raced for the fun of it, stayed in school and became an engineer. It used to freak out my racing buds when I was doing physics or calculus homework between motos, but what the ?

I was a respectable rider in local races, but never had thoughs (or skill) for a real professional career. I saw how the real pros rode and broke themselves, just Google any of the old stars and you'll find nearly all of them down and out trying to string together a living now. Casual riders tend to miss the point that it's not how fast you are out there by yourself, it's how fast you are trading paint at speed, in the air or in front of 20 other sharks that makes you a racer.

I'm now building a vintage roadracer and MX bike to get back into track riding - just for the fun of riding, but know that even if I get back to the point of being able to enter an organized race (dinosaure class), I won't really be racing. I'm late in my career and planning retirement, so will be a candy- on the track and not willing to become a real racer again. Young lions need to think hard about where they want to go and what price they are willing to pay, not get delusional about "winning" a trackday where they were the only one's thinking they were accomplishing something. If you think you have what it takes, put your on the track with the true competitors and find out. People who are legends in their own minds and act like racers in a non-race situation are dangerous to us all.
Dwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyatt View Post
People who are legends in their own minds and act like racers in a non-race situation are dangerous to us all.
100% agreed
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
that is true my wife loves to go to the races with me because of the people she doesn't care at all about bikes going fast. one more thing is racer 997 posted a life span of the avg racer as a racer on the CMRA board a while back. Sort of like the ages of man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
I hear what the article is saying but then again you get to meet people like Linz, he seems to be pretty happy with his life.
There's a lot of unattractive truth for many in this article, yet I wouldn't call everything here 100% universal truth since I've raced with, and watched while [CMRA] club racing cultivated national and world champions such as Colin Edwards, the Hayden brothers, Danny Eslick and Ben Spies to name some of the more recent few. Still this article applies to the vast majority who will swing a leg over a motorcycle and go racing.

Me? I like the competition on the track and the family atmosphere at the track when I'm off the track. Sure, I love to win, and have been fortunate enough to do that now and again at the regional level, but it's the thrill of it ALL that I keep coming back for, and that's why I've been around as long as I have. That, and I'm stupid.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

^^^ Yep, I can vouch for the stupid part. He's the dumbest Rocket Scientist I know.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #30
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Ive been racing with the CMRA for 10 years and love it. Im a tight so I dont seem to get sucked into spending money as much as others can. Endurance racing is cheaper to do than sprints. And can be tons of fun if you have the right teammates.
-Gabe
LSTD / South Central Race Center / Pirelli / Racepak Supersprox / Raceworx / One Second Faster / Leo Vince / Motorcycles Unlimited / Ebc brakes/ Motul / Pipercross / Jones Powersports / Kawasaki Team Green / LP/ GoPro / Texas Speed and Performance / GP tech / Powerstands
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
I agree 100%.

Whoever wrote that has been around, he clearly has experienced first hand racing. Speaks the truth
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #32
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

An interesting and pretty spot on read in many respects. I've seen the full spectrum of racers the writer mentioned... from the bright-eyed newb to the edgy veteran who, for some reason or another, always seems like they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I think it's hard for a racer who has achieved some sort of success at the Expert level to let anything else but THAT become the norm... or at least something not too far from that.

The write-up does come across as somewhat of a buzz kill, but like Keven Schwantz said, "...racing is 80% mental..." and that is totally true. If you keep things in perspective, anyone can go out and have fun racing for the "long haul". It all depends on what kind of pressure you put on yourself and how you keep yourself in check.

On a personal note, I had raced for five years straight and can honestly say that it was totally worth. The experience, success and comraderie was something I will never forget. Conversely, there were times when things just never seemed to come together (or they fell apart, literally) and you sat there and wondered, "WTF am I doing here!?" It's up to you to remember that t happens when throwing yourself into the controlled chaos of racing.

Unfortunately, the cost of racing exponentially rises the faster you go... both from a hardware and physical danger standpoint.

Still, if you're on the fence, I say GO FOR IT. Try to have a decent budget and health insurance... because you will crash if you put any kind of effort into it.

Finally, know when to walk away with a smile on your face, knowing that you threw your hat into the ring and gave it a try.

(i don't race anymore, but it, I still have my license... just in case!)
Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #33
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
(i don't race anymore, but it I should because I'm faster than 90% of the racers out there today and I could clean up if I did race... , I still have my license... just in case!)
Fixed it for you Jeff!
Old 11-05-2009, 03:02 PM   #34
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

lic is only good for 3 years of not racing I was told. this was my 5th.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #35
bigzona
Lean Machine

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD View Post
It all depends on what kind of pressure you put on yourself and how you keep yourself in check.
This sums up my interpreation of the article.

Like everything else in life; the manner with which you approach and perceive it dictates the outcome.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #36
jeffLSTD
A hit off the track pipe?

Bike(s):
'08 Kawasaki ZX-10R (track bike)

Ha! Hmmm... well... 'preciate the props G$, but my ballz aren't what they used to be. *COUGH!* Sorry, I meant the pocket book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Originally Posted by jeffLSTD
(i don't race anymore, but it I should because I'm faster than 90% of the racers out there today and I could clean up if I did race... , I still have my license... just in case!)

Fixed it for you Jeff!

Advertisement