MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #61
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
So I am sitting here debating on whether to get something different for my SPORT touring needs.

What say you? What is your recipe for a "perfect" SPORT tourer?

I went through this same thing a little over a month ago after I sold the RC and DRZ. I wanted something with a bit of wind protection as my 2 other bikes are naked.

At first I went the FZ1 and Bandit 1250 route. After much research including riding both for a bit I found that they were almost what I already had; a standard bike but with a bit of wind protection.

The Z14 / Busa route was next, but while they had more wind protection, they didn't offer the all day comfort I was after. (not saying they're uncomfortable, just wanted something more so.)

I moved next to the FJR / Concours level. Both bikes are very competent sport tourers, but like you I was concerend with the back road handling.
I spoke with several of my customers that own them.
Keep in mind these are high mileage guys who routinely put 20,000 miles a year on a bike, riding everywhere from the Hill Country to Deals Gap.

What I found out surprised me; most of the guys stated they had no issues running the tighter stuff on their bikes, especially with the saddle bags removed.

A few more test rides and I made my decision and wound up with a 2008 Concours 14.

The bike is fairly stock, I did remove the secondary butterflies and add a slip on and PC5, and also added front braided lines and EPFA pads.
The bike dynos a shade over 148 rwhp so I'm happy.
I set up the stock suspension and put on some new tires and that was it.

I took a good ride on it yesterday. I started out slow not knowing what the performance threshold was.
It wasn't long before I was zipping along and even touched the pegs down a time or 2 on 3090. Total mileage yesterday was a shade over 220 but it felt like a lot less.

Jim,
Before you rule out one of the dedicated sport tourers, take a harder look at them. If you'd like, you can borrow the C14 next time you're in town.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unique "Touring" bike Stricken55 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 08-19-2010 11:21 AM
The Real "Perfect Woman" Tiller1k Off Topic 26 06-07-2008 11:54 PM
in a "mans perfect world" cytukyl Off Topic 5 02-11-2006 06:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #62
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

I’m with Patrick. I’ve had my C14 for almost 2 years and almost 40k miles and I like it for any situation. I might just do a ride to, on and back from the sisters in the same day here soon.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #63
jcsanchez68

Bike(s):
DUCATI
DUCATI
BMW
Triumph
Aprilia

New Multistrada 1200

First day out

jcsanchez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #64
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I considered a Multistrada a few years back, great bike but I put it more along the lines of the FZ1 and Bandit 1250 in terms of what it does.
Plus I'm not big on having to adjust the valves every 7500 miles on a bike I plan on putting high mileage on.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #65
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I went through this same thing a little over a month ago after I sold the RC and DRZ. I wanted something with a bit of wind protection as my 2 other bikes are naked.

At first I went the FZ1 and Bandit 1250 route. After much research including riding both for a bit I found that they were almost what I already had; a standard bike but with a bit of wind protection.

The Z14 / Busa route was next, but while they had more wind protection, they didn't offer the all day comfort I was after. (not saying they're uncomfortable, just wanted something more so.)

I moved next to the FJR / Concours level. Both bikes are very competent sport tourers, but like you I was concerend with the back road handling.
I spoke with several of my customers that own them.
Keep in mind these are high mileage guys who routinely put 20,000 miles a year on a bike, riding everywhere from the Hill Country to Deals Gap.

What I found out surprised me; most of the guys stated they had no issues running the tighter stuff on their bikes, especially with the saddle bags removed.

A few more test rides and I made my decision and wound up with a 2008 Concours 14.

The bike is fairly stock, I did remove the secondary butterflies and add a slip on and PC5, and also added front braided lines and EPFA pads.
The bike dynos a shade over 148 rwhp so I'm happy.
I set up the stock suspension and put on some new tires and that was it.

I took a good ride on it yesterday. I started out slow not knowing what the performance threshold was.
It wasn't long before I was zipping along and even touched the pegs down a time or 2 on 3090. Total mileage yesterday was a shade over 220 but it felt like a lot less.

Jim,
Before you rule out one of the dedicated sport tourers, take a harder look at them. If you'd like, you can borrow the C14 next time you're in town.
Hmmm... I want to get a a "sporting" sport-tourer too, and based on specs alone, not having ridden any, I was leaning towards baggin up a 1250S or buying a FJR, just because I thought they would be more sporting than either the C14 or any other Japanese ST. The C14 just looks big and heavy... but that may just be a perception.

I know the 1250S can be setup real nice with Givi bags, and even a taller windscreen. So I (maybe wrongly) assumed it would be the most sporting, since it is a Naked bike at heart. With that said, between the 1250S vs. the FJR vs. the C14, did you find that the C14 was the most sporting of the 3, or moreso the best compromise of the 3 for your specific needs or wants?

BTW, something tells me you're not gonna leave well-enough alone, and that C14 will be the baddestass C14 in Houston. just a hunch, though!

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 11-09-2009 at 11:09 PM.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #66
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #67
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

oh ormand. lol. he got a 12r
Old 11-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #68
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #69
Wideout

Bike(s):
'08 busa

Stick with the 12, Jim. We had a guy ride down to the Gap from Canada and did fine. Another guy shipped his 12 over from the UK and rode it from one side of the US to the other, all with just the mods mentioned.
Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #70
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
I know the 1250S can be setup real nice with Givi bags, and even a taller windscreen. So I (maybe wrongly) assumed it would be the most sporting, since it is a Naked bike at heart. With that said, between the 1250S vs. the FJR vs. the C14, did you find that the C14 was the most sporting of the 3, or moreso the best compromise of the 3 for your specific needs or wants?
I know you were asking Patrick but Im chiming in anyway. I cant speak on the 1250S But I have ridden FJRs and own a C14. To me they are very comparable bikes in terms of handling, comfort and power. I had planned on getting a FJR for some time but switched to the C14 for three reasons. A three year unlimited mile warranty (upgradeable to 5 or 6 yrs), a 6th gear and a little more power.
Yes the C14 looks and is heavy but as soon as you get it rolling it feels like it looses 200 lbs. End Commercial-
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #71
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
1st gen FZ1

i will second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:43 PM   #72
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Well initial review of the new 12R is that it is just what I thought it would be.

Wheelbase 1/2 inch longer than the Bandit
Once I got the lowering links off, a bit more peg clearance
Stock seat feels better, time will tell
Already added Helibars and gel grips
trunk is a lot bigger than the Bandit had, with the aftermarket undertail.. all my junk fits in there nicely...

Initial ride ended with someone elses accident; after 200 miles I was ready for more. I miss my magnetic bags, but wifey already got me a new triple stack strap on bag..

Tried the saddle and tail bags and they fit fine. Got another rear seat so I won't mess up the seat cowl.

Power? Yup. Map I have made 179.5 on another bike with same mods. Easy roll on wheelies in 3rd.. prob 4th too.
Handling? Not quite as quick to turn in as the Bandit, will be fixing that soon enough. It has a 00 rear shock on it, which is taller and stiffer; just what I needed.

Now to get the forks done. Add mounts and power for detector and GPS and see if I can figure out an electronic cruise control.

Planning a good break in trip for March to really see what she'll do...

See ya'll on the roads!!!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #73
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Have you considered a BMW?

Perhaps the K1300? If you want even more comfort, and less maintenance (but less power) there's the R1200RT
Old 12-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #74
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Have you considered a BMW?

Perhaps the K1300? If you want even more comfort, and less maintenance (but less power) there's the R1200RT

R1200 has only a 58" wheelbase. K1300 is 61.5...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #75
jcsanchez68

Bike(s):
DUCATI
DUCATI
BMW
Triumph
Aprilia

He said Sport Touring so most of the recomendations I have read doe not fit what he is looking for or am I missing something?

If you really want the best you can buy go for the BMW
K1300s
GT1300
RT1300

Sport touring motorcycles

For the majority of the sport-tourer models on the market, manufacturers utilize an existing engine and technology from the current or last generation of their sport bikes. This is cost effective because the maker can reuse existing tooling and parts, rather than creating a dedicated engine design from scratch.

Differences vis--vis sport bikes
Engine designs are usually modified from their sport bike origins. These modifications typically consist of re-tuning and re-camming (change of valve cam lift & duration), the aim being improved mid-range torque rather than absolute peak horsepower. Additionally, it is common for certain rotating subcomponents, such as the crankshaft and flywheel, to be replaced in the sport-tourer version of the engine with heavier versions to smooth power delivery and improve reliability. Other differences from the sportbike class include:

Larger fairings than are implemented on sport-bikes for better weather protection.
A frame that is usually designed from scratch to provide a more upright/less aggressive riding position ("all day comfort").
A longer wheelbase and more relaxed steering angle are usually also incorporated. These provide more straight-line stability than most sport bikes, but not to the degree that most pure tourers do. The addition of these heavier parts (full fairings, longer frames, heavier engine components) also serve to increase the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight, giving the bikes a smoother ride over poor surfaces.
Finally, ground clearance is usually left fairly high, permitting more sport-like riding on twisting roads than on a pure touring bike.
jcsanchez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #76
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

The Triumph Sprint ST 1050 is right in the zone I think. If I were looking for a Sport Tourer I would take one for a test ride. I test rode one a while back and it was a sweet ride...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #77
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Well, like I said originally, I am much more Sport than Touring. Most of the ST bikes labeled as such are longer wheelbase, heavier, more upright.

I will give up comfort on the super slab for better power and handling on the backroads, but not to the point of the race bike ergos of a SS liter bike. My is getting old, and 6 ft 5 in legs don't fold up like they used to.

Again, this was based on my personal preference of what I was looking for in an all around bike

Less than 500 lbs dry, less is more
56-58 inch wheelbase
Better suspension bits for handling versus ride
More power, more better

Maybe I should call it a Hyper Tourer versus Sport Touring
Old 12-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #78
Tumper
Hullo

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2004 Speed Triple SE
01 KLR650,
93 Dyna Wide Glide
11 BMW F800GS
Cannondale F-4...

Here's a link to a review of the Sprint...

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...t-ar71454.html
Old 12-14-2009, 02:51 PM   #79
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Looked at the Sprint actually, sat on one, talked with a buddy that owns one.

Wasn't enough different from the Bandit to make it worth jumping ship.

the K1300S looks more along the lines of what I am looking for.

Last edited by texlurch; 12-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #80
texlurch

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Then again.. I look thru the K1300S specs, and it is wee over 500# dry and about 6 inches too long in wheelbase

Funny thing is, the screen, dash, upper tree and bars, mirrors, even the design of the sides of the frame are vaguely similar to what I already got...

hmmmm maybe they had it right all the way back in 2000..

Advertisement