MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
moduleum

Feedback Rating: (0)

How "slick" are public streets and highways?

I had a moderately costly incident a few months back in a parking garage where I low-sided my Speed Triple about a month ago. It suffered a broken clutch lever, shifter and a few minor scratches, but money and bikebandit saved the day! ufh... Thank goodness no one saw me.

I was going up and around the garage going a little too fast, and as I was in a mild curve and headed up a ramp, the bike slipped out from under me. I guess the concrete was just too slick, because I didn't see any signs of liquid residue that would reduce the friction coefficient of the ground. I'm actually a quite conservative rider, so you can imagine my the look on my face when the back started to slide out from under me. (People are always passing me on the loop, hauling around turns while I'm thinking "man, that guy is eventually going to kill himself."

So now, about a month later, I find myself in fear of leaning too far on public roads. I know the bike will lean further than my current experience level allows, but how "slick" are public highways?

Are highways such as the 610 loop more concrete based and hence more slick than interstates? I just want to avoid this happening again if I can help it.
moduleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are "public servants" required to wear a lid? urbanXJ Off Topic 29 04-22-2011 09:39 AM
AP: "Homeless good Samaritan left to die on NYC street" RoadracerNC The Circus 4 04-27-2010 12:35 PM
nd a special "key" unlock slick mode on bmw craigntx General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-01-2010 05:56 PM
Chicken-suited street musician plays "What is Love" on Pianica Pyrofallout Off Topic 2 12-11-2009 03:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
level5
moving chicane

fear keeps you alive. Training will overcome the fear. Take MSF if you haven't and attend trackdays. You will be a better rider.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Tough question to answer. Is it possible to drag knee/get 45 deg angle on the freeway? Yes. But it only takes one beater leaking oil to DRASTICALLY affect the friction coefficent of the surface. So the answer is Yes and No.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

somebody else recently went down in a parking garge, and somebody else posted about how garages floors excrete some kinda powdery sunstance that makes them muck slicker then reg. streets.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
moduleum

Yeah, I took the awesomest basic training a few years ago. I need to sign up for the advanced class soon.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

that would be me

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=111896

go all the way to post 16 to see all the pics

Last edited by urbanXJ; 11-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

also, there is generally a lot of paint (arrows and stripes and more) in parking garages that get super slick.

on the street, the pavement is designed by the various agencies to have enough friction from the roadway grade and the use of coarse aggregates. roadway conditions may change with weather, debris, deterioration, and use.

roadway striping and pavement markings can be slick when wet too.

always ride according to the current conditions.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Concrete (road surface) grips better than blacktop
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
AJFLo

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
K7 GSXR 600
06 Honda 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I would have to disagree...

Concrete may grip better when completely cleaned and clear, but put any kind of dust or debris and it becomes extremely slippery.
Iím really happy for you and Iím going to let you finish but AJFlo is one of the baddest mother fockers of all time!!!
AJFLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
True but...

Alot of the concrete has rain grooves cut into it, perpindicular to the direction of travel. They are narrow, shallow grooves that are hard to see while you are moving but they can reduce the amount of surface your tires contact by as much as 25%.
Think about 25% less grip the next time you want to banzai the U-turn lane under the freeway. I learned the hard way.

BTW the powdery substance on parking garage floors is called "dust".
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #11
moduleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
True but...

Alot of the concrete has rain grooves cut into it, perpindicular to the direction of travel. They are narrow, shallow grooves that are hard to see while you are moving but they can reduce the amount of surface your tires contact by as much as 25%.
Think about 25% less grip the next time you want to banzai the U-turn lane under the freeway. I learned the hard way.

BTW the powdery substance on parking garage floors is called "dust".
This is exactly the kind of concrete that I went down on. The grooves were cut (or brushed) perpindicular to the direction of traffic with a broom-like tool I believe. There was definitely some white powder that got kicked up, but not nearly to the effect of that referenced in the post where the other rider went down in a garage.

I'm of the opinion that, in general, asphalt is much more benevolent to riders under general road conditions, which usually include a light layer of debris (sand, mild rock etc that may be present on the loop or general roads).
Old 11-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
sofa

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
02 sv650
honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by moduleum View Post
I had a moderately costly incident a few months back in a parking garage where I low-sided my Speed Triple about a month ago. It suffered a broken clutch lever, shifter and a few minor scratches, but money and bikebandit saved the day! ufh... Thank goodness no one saw me.

I was going up and around the garage going a little too fast, and as I was in a mild curve and headed up a ramp, the bike slipped out from under me. I guess the concrete was just too slick, because I didn't see any signs of liquid residue that would reduce the friction coefficient of the ground. I'm actually a quite conservative rider, so you can imagine my the look on my face when the back started to slide out from under me. (People are always passing me on the loop, hauling around turns while I'm thinking "man, that guy is eventually going to kill himself."

So now, about a month later, I find myself in fear of leaning too far on public roads. I know the bike will lean further than my current experience level allows, but how "slick" are public highways?

Are highways such as the 610 loop more concrete based and hence more slick than interstates? I just want to avoid this happening again if I can help it.
610 is concrete, and it's roughed up when they make it. The surface is almost like sand paper so yes you have VERY good traction on it.

I've ridded a lot on 610, 59, 45, they all have very good traction (or else I wouldn't be here). All of the exits from 610 to/from 45 or 59 I've ridden through at 85-90mph without doubts (They have posted 35-40MPH signs. And yes that means I have to pass cars going through those exits, save your lecture).

In comparison you can pull 120 on the new part of I-10 with good bends (no knee dragging but I could touch the ground with my other hand) and felt pretty much confident that the tire and road will work well together.

MSF class will be huge help for you to over come your issues when it comes to bends. Fear keeps you alive, but it might kill you when you panic going in a turn too fast.

99% of the time if you think you're coming into the bend too fast, commit to the turn and you'll come out fine.

Again, take MSF or Advanced MSF course.
sofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Amanda
Bulletproof

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Scar (07-600rr)
Juggernaut (R6)- ditched
Glee (7fiddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
somebody else recently went down in a parking garge, and somebody else posted about how garages floors excrete some kinda powdery sunstance that makes them muck slicker then reg. streets.
hmm....interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by moduleum View Post
Yeah, I took the awesomest basic training a few years ago. I need to sign up for the advanced class soon.
fk the advanced msf----u did msf, the advanced is basically msf on ur own bike. Just do a track day (msf on roids)

some good tires and trackdays provides a chit load of confidence...confidence goes alooooooong way on sport bikes...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #14
ikonj

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
06 cbr600rr

Tellem manda panda-
ikonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

interesting

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=117392

"and white film is caked on the exterior granite of a courthouse across the street. Modern parking meters, which appear new one block away, are covered with a heavy white film"
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM   #16
moduleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
hmm....interesting

fk the advanced msf----u did msf, the advanced is basically msf on ur own bike. Just do a track day (msf on roids)

some good tires and trackdays provides a chit load of confidence...confidence goes alooooooong way on sport bikes...
Yeah, I may be misinformed, but I always wondered what they could really teach you in the advanced MSF at parking lot speeds, besides low-speed maneuvers. I need to get my and the triple out to a track day stat to really learn something.

What are the main web sites that list track days around here?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJFLo View Post
I would have to disagree...

Concrete may grip better when completely cleaned and clear, but put any kind of dust or debris and it becomes extremely slippery.
IMO the concrete is better. I also know the lines are edges that provide grip as well as let the water run off. Its the same principle as siped/ groved tires.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #18
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Best traction is rubber on rubber... concrete is iffy, asphalt is good as long as it isn't fresh and oily or so old it's full of whooptiedoos!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

i know this is about the streets, but this is the turn in my parking garage that I commonly slide through during the moist day.

I've never eaten it through here, but have felt the rear wheel kick out.

notice all the paint from arrows, old stripes, and warnings:
utf 8BSU1HMDAwMzgtMjAwOTExMDItMTcwN
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Concrete like in the pic will sweat also. Thats why they texture roads.

Advertisement