MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #41
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

That's incorrect, any idiot with about $3k can ride. They're making MSF mandatory to get a motorcycle license.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
China spot welders? POWER 788+ micro pulse spot welder 110v Petro Off Topic 4 08-20-2014 11:57 AM
Well, it was my turn to get hit.... dbuck Off Topic 57 07-12-2012 05:16 PM
one slick Marine witchdoctor575 Off Topic 8 07-13-2011 04:52 PM
SLICK!!! Htownz Off Topic 2 07-29-2008 12:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-31-2009, 06:44 AM   #42
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Glad you're ok!!!!!

Frame sliders are made to slide, not absorb impact. At highspeed the impact is not very great because inertia cushions the comedown weight of the motorcycle; then the slider is available to wear down, cause a drag and not crack off its base.

Since you've already experienced the sliders from the dealership(which still may be A/M) try some reputable ones now in replacement. Make sure you have direct bolt and not cutless sliders. I see alot of broken billet brackets damaging engines but salvaging plastics not an even trade if my opinion is valued. A dealership looks at parts as a checklist usually... frame sliders, check... we got them... instead of researching and offering the better of two options unless a supplier tries to upsell their product.

Aluminium on the other hand will not bend that small amount when impacted like plastic does. It has a precise break point and wont give after that. That is why the crack is so precise.

As for the plastic repair, remember plastic can be sanded down(will make it thinner, yes) but it would be good experience for yourself. Personally, I like my bikes to have 'personality' to keep car drivers off your azz

I would recommend after your initial prep of the plastic to talk to a sponsor on here etc. If you want it to come out perfect w the part you have vs buying a new piece, they can prep and ultimately finish the job right through their experience.

GL and if we can help w anything let us know. Looks like your covered thusfar.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM   #43
--SV--
Not anymore but whatever

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusAnotherTran View Post
I wish it was that simple.. Not only did the foot peg break, but the whole piece that it was attached to..
Ya thats what im talking about the entire bracket. 2$ plus 10$ in shipping
--SV-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #44
JusAnotherTran

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR
2008 Ninja 650r (sold)
2001 F4i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Glad you're ok!!!!!

Frame sliders are made to slide, not absorb impact. At highspeed the impact is not very great because inertia cushions the comedown weight of the motorcycle; then the slider is available to wear down, cause a drag and not crack off its base.

Since you've already experienced the sliders from the dealership(which still may be A/M) try some reputable ones now in replacement. Make sure you have direct bolt and not cutless sliders. I see alot of broken billet brackets damaging engines but salvaging plastics not an even trade if my opinion is valued. A dealership looks at parts as a checklist usually... frame sliders, check... we got them... instead of researching and offering the better of two options unless a supplier tries to upsell their product.

Aluminium on the other hand will not bend that small amount when impacted like plastic does. It has a precise break point and wont give after that. That is why the crack is so precise.

As for the plastic repair, remember plastic can be sanded down(will make it thinner, yes) but it would be good experience for yourself. Personally, I like my bikes to have 'personality' to keep car drivers off your azz

I would recommend after your initial prep of the plastic to talk to a sponsor on here etc. If you want it to come out perfect w the part you have vs buying a new piece, they can prep and ultimately finish the job right through their experience.

GL and if we can help w anything let us know. Looks like your covered thusfar.
Thanks for your input. What's your recommendation for sponsors? I might need help with supplies and tools (drillbit and etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by --SV-- View Post
Ya thats what im talking about the entire bracket. 2$ plus 10$ in shipping
Where did you see this at?
JusAnotherTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #45
crazivi3tdude
Commander in Chief !!!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Mongoose
C
B
R

Send a message via AIM to crazivi3tdude
I personally reccomend wal-mart for tools and supply )

Yes! my name is Ninja!!!
crazivi3tdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #46
JusAnotherTran

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 CBR600RR
2008 Ninja 650r (sold)
2001 F4i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazivi3tdude View Post
I personally reccomend wal-mart for tools and supply )
I'm only going to use it once.. don't want to buy 50 bucks worth of supplies and never use it again o.o

I'll probably buy the little things there though, (sand paper, etc..)
JusAnotherTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement