MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
makushr1

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

How Long After MSF Till I'm Ready?

Just go my first bike this past weekend. A friend who rides helped me out (driving it back to my house from theshop), and showed me how to ride it. I felt like a fish outta water, making it only 1/2 way off the clutch in first with no throttle, attempting to walk/ride it, but then I ate it in my neighbors bushes, lol. After that, I decided to wait and try it with the bikes at MSF before I use my own. About how long until I feel comfortable driving it around the neighborhood (not on extremly busy roads or highways)? Will I be able to take it out Sunday after the class without a problem? Not necessarly be good at it, but good enough to where I wont eat it in my neighbors yard...
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long is your MSF certificate valid? Jae General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 09-04-2014 06:07 PM
How long till marquez kills someone?? Grinchy Taking it to the Track 24 11-12-2012 07:13 PM
how long till i receive my title? Infinite Off Topic 4 07-10-2012 08:50 PM
How long till you weren't scared anymore? Andy General Discussion (Moto Related) 92 05-22-2007 01:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Tri

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2009 R6
2005 R6 - Sold :*[

everyones different..i went into msf not knowing a thing...days later i was ridin around town n on the highways

Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Take it slow, practice your skills and ALWAYS wear your gear. I been riding since 1980 and I still learn new things about bikes all the time.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
the mother

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Kawi 08 250r

Member Garage

I took MSF in April I knew how to drive standard in car or truck. It is alot different on a bike. I went to Awesome Cycles and took the 3 day class. I really learned alot . The only problem I had is that I learned on a cruiser and I ride a kawi 250 Ninja. The two bikes are alot different, so I stuck to the back roads with my son and now I go places by myself. They really taught me alot at Awesome Cycles and it was fun doing it.
the mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilai View Post
everyones different..i went into msf not knowing a thing...days later i was ridin around town n on the highways
+1

Just go at whatever pace works for you. No need to rush. Two wheels will always be there for you, just don't get hurt trying to do something your not ready for.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
MSF helped me very much, it just took some practice of adjusting from the 250cc cruiser i took the course on to a 600cbr which was my bike.

but it helped immensely
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I knew how to ride a motorcycle before coming to MSF. Even if you don't know anything they'll teach you everything step by step (especially the clutch part). Just absorb everything and practice with gear in a vacant lot NOT your neighborhood.

The day after my msf class I took the license test and was riding that afternoon. Take your time, read and read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
FourFiftyFour
I'm not even mad!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
none currently

When I first ventured out on the streets, I rode all the back county roads by my house. I'm sure there were a lot of people watching me practice starting and stopping and all my turns LOL I am sure it looked funny. It took about half a day and I started getting better. I was used to clutch and shifting though from when I raced ATV MX.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
mx6er

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
TL1KR
street legal xr50

Member Garage

I went in knowing how to ride already so I helped slot. Riding portion of class I took the strategic route... That tiny 125 standard cruiser. Yes u read right. Light as fck, easy to flat foot, very forgiving with clutch control, easy to control so I could lean the concepts instead of the bike. Well i learned alright, during the swerves and cornering I scrapped pegs like nothing while the 250 ninjas were like O_O. I was reminded quite a few times to slow down...
mx6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM   #10
Dr Strangelove
Rider's Edge

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 R6
71 TS 185

Ask your Instructor! He just watched you ride the whole weekend and could give you a good idea about your progress!
Dr Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

If you crashed in your neigbors bushes...ill be a believer in MSF if you're cruising around town, on the freeways, after the class.

Keep up posted.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Stop Driving your bike and start RIDING it, that should take care of the problem

How old are you? What part of town are you on? I am willing to tow you around for a couple of days if you want. But as other say, don't be pressured, feel your bike build some confidence and before you know it you will be doing fine. Don't get cocky though, always ride within your limits.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
If you crashed in your neigbors bushes...ill be a believer in MSF if you're cruising around town, on the freeways, after the class.

Keep up posted.
one of my students ran his R1 into a building. he passed but he was pretty shaky cuz he was afraid to give his bike gas.........the 125s in class i mean.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6er View Post
I went in knowing how to ride already so I helped slot. Riding portion of class I took the strategic route... That tiny 125 standard cruiser. Yes u read right. Light as fck, easy to flat foot, very forgiving with clutch control, easy to control so I could lean the concepts instead of the bike. Well i learned alright, during the swerves and cornering I scrapped pegs like nothing while the 250 ninjas were like O_O. I was reminded quite a few times to slow down...
Haha I kept getting my lean on with the ninja's in class but combined with the awful chicken strips and no way to heat up those plastic tires they have it was sliding through a few of the exercises a little bit. He told me I was still doing it right, and the form was really good, but to please go slower

Oya and to the OP I just hit the backroads for several days after to continue to get used to my bike. The first time I got on the highway, remember this was Victoria not crazy H-town haha, I went out there at about 10am when the roads were almost entirely empty just so I could get it up to speed and get a good feel for it. Don't ride with people that don't understand you are just starting out and not really comfortable yet. Stick with close friends and people that don't mind just puttin along. Have fun, and stay in your limits (and out of your neighbors bushes). Have fun!

Last edited by GrayJ; 10-28-2009 at 08:02 AM.
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #15
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

soon as you got your ducks in a row, ride that junk

just wear your gear, all of it.
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #16
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

Last edited by houstonch73; 10-28-2009 at 08:53 AM.
houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #18
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
if the student couldn't get the hang of the 125 in class and his first bike was an R1 then I think I see his problem.

although it does sound like he got past his fear of giving it too much gas though.
he ran into the building before he took the class........after that experience his was scared since..........rightly so.

and running into the bushes is very common. target fixate on bush and which way is he gonna head? right towards teh bush. seen a vid. w/ a guy on an SV do it.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
makushr1

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
Stop Driving your bike and start RIDING it, that should take care of the problem

How old are you? What part of town are you on? I am willing to tow you around for a couple of days if you want. But as other say, don't be pressured, feel your bike build some confidence and before you know it you will be doing fine. Don't get cocky though, always ride within your limits.
26 and in the Heights.

I plan on calling in 'sick' on Monday so I can practice riding all day, lol.

I really think that after I take the class, I should be pretty comfortable. The only part I think I'm going to have problems with is getting started and slowing down to a stop. But, I guess that's everyone.
makushr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #20
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post

and running into the bushes is very common. target fixate on bush and which way is he gonna head? right towards teh bush. seen a vid. w/ a guy on an SV do it.
Yea...I run into the bushes all the time. Particularly the knock out roses..they are just so pretty...but gawd they hurt.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement